Timberr

Sat 29 Feb, 2020 08:54 am
Hi

I'm in the process of remodelling my flat in a converted victorian school in Glasgow. I've taken down a plasterboard (drywall) dividing wall between the living room and kitchen to open the space up and stripped back all the plasterboard covering up the blonde sandstone on one of the walls. The wall is 8 meters long and has 4 widows in it. I am wanting to add some feature light to the bits of wall between the windows, I was originally thinking of downlight but the wall above the window level is red brick (and not the sexy old warehouse style of red brick) whilst everything else is sandstone, I'd rather illuminate the sandstone so was thinking of recessing lights in the floor angled to light the wall.

I am putting in a new floor which will be approximately 10cm above the original floor so have space to recess the light fitment without too much hassle.

I have a bunch of Phillips Hue colour GU10 bulbs which I'd happily use for the job but need to find fitments that are recessed and allow a bit of a tilt to angle the bulb to the wall rather than just straight up the way. Alternatively, if anyone has any other suggestions for recessed floor light fitments I'd be happy to hear them obviously Smile

Cheers

Tim
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 941 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed
No top replies

izzythepush

Sat 29 Feb, 2020 10:29 am
@Timberr,
Timberr wrote:

I've taken down a plasterboard (drywall) dividing wall

Thanks for that, now I know what drywall is. I've heard Americans use it a lot, but have never really known what it was. And to be honest I couldn't be arsed looking it up either, and now I don't have to.

Sorry I'm no use whatsoever with your project, but there are some people here who could help.

Good luck and thanks again.
hightor

Sat 29 Feb, 2020 10:39 am
@Timberr,
I've seen recessed floor lighting fixtures which offer different beam angles but I haven't seen ones which would allow you to use your own bulbs and tilt them.
Timberr

Sat 29 Feb, 2020 03:26 pm
@izzythepush,
I thought I better explain what it was in case this was a predominantly American forum Smile
Thanks, no joy so far but fingers crossed!
Timberr

Sat 29 Feb, 2020 03:27 pm
@hightor,
Hi Hightor, what were the the ones you saw? Im not married to the idea of using my own bulbs.....if I'm being optimistic, I'd like lights I could access via an app.....probably a long shot! Smile
hightor

Sat 29 Feb, 2020 04:23 pm
@Timberr,
They're in the link in my reply above — here, I'll give you the whole url:

https://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=56224&cat_id=46

Quote:
Sun3 3 Inch Square LED Recessed Uplight/Steplight includes a 12 volt 6.5 watt high powered Warm White 2968K color temperature LED, 80CRI, 42 lumens per watt/281 lumens total. Features a 16, 23, 36 or 47 degree precise focus and tempered glass lens with marine-grade aluminum beveled edge trim. Finish in Satin Aluminum. 70 percent lumen maintenance based on 50,000 hours of operation. Sun3 is rated for outdoor, ocean front environments using a wet location electrical box or indoor using a standard octagon electrical box

0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 1 Mar, 2020 02:55 am
@Timberr,
You were right, it is predominantly American.
0 Replies

cherrie

Sun 1 Mar, 2020 06:05 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Timberr wrote:

I've taken down a plasterboard (drywall) dividing wall

Thanks for that, now I know what drywall is. I've heard Americans use it a lot, but have never really known what it was. And to be honest I couldn't be arsed looking it up either, and now I don't have to.

I didn't know what drywall was either. And now I do.
hightor

Sun 1 Mar, 2020 06:22 am
@cherrie,
The term has been slowly losing relevance — it was originally coined to draw a distinction between walls covered with gypsum-board panels versus the older technique of applying wet plaster over wood laths or other suitable substrates. Plaster is seldom used anymore.
0 Replies

shirlenetipsguides

Wed 17 May, 2023 06:12 am
@Timberr,
If you're unable to find the exact fitments you're looking for, you might consider consulting with a lighting professional or an electrician who can help create a custom solution for your specific needs. They can guide you in selecting the right fixtures and create a customized installation that effectively illuminates the sandstone wall.
0 Replies