Replacement Light Switch only has 3 Wires, Old Switch has 4

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 07:54 pm
I have an outdoor pavilion which includes LED lighting that will dim. The lights are currently controlled with a dimmer switch. I purchased another dimmer switch which also includes a wireless remote switch (Lutron Caseta) in order to replace the existing switch that does not include the wireless remote..

I turned off the power and opened the switch box. The current switch includes four wires (black/power, white/neutral, green/ground and a yellow wire(?) which connects to a red wire in the box The new switch only includes three wires, 2 black and 1 green.

Do I need a different switch/remote that includes four wires? Or can this one be connected? If so what about the lack of the yellow wire to red?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 946 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 08:25 pm
@calbearsDIY,
The ground and neutral are pass throughs, the black is load, the yellow is the load adjusted by the dimmer. As you can see in the diagram, there are three wires coming in, three going out, but the dimmer takes one input and changes it on the output (black to red in the diagram.) If you completely remove your existing dimmer switch (after labeling all the leads) you should see three in, three out and your new switch owners manual should guide you from there.

https://blog.recessedlighting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Install-dimmer-switch.jpg
0 Replies