Religious bigotry in seventh grade class room

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 02:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, he's the Pope now, so if he isn't communicating doctrine, who is?

That would be the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It was compiled and voted upon by a conference of Catholic bishops; pope John Paul II merely promulgated it. I would imagine that the process would have been similar for any precursors of the current catechism, though I do not actually know. In any event, the scholarly opinions of a theology professor do not automatically become Catholic doctrine when he runs for pope and the papal conclave elects him.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 02:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Well, he's the Pope now, so if he isn't communicating doctrine, who is?
During his university teaching time, he was an extreme left wing Catholic theology professor ... in the view of others in the church, at that time.

What Ratzinger said before he became, can be "authoritative"; but that's it

What he said/says as the Pope ex cathedra that is a doctrine. He hasn't made any ex cathedra statements.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 02:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What need, if man can converse with God directly, for a church to interpret God's words and teaching for him? What need for the authority of the church whatsoever?

You don't need to know how a telephone works in order to use it.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Several speeches given both by JP2 and Ratzinger over the years speak to exactly this question, and would seem to indicate that the official position of the church is that man cannot determine morality of actions for himself, but instead must rely upon the church to do so for him. See Ratzinger's 'two levels of Conscience' speech given in Dallas in'91 - and the fact that the church continually gives out pronouncements as to what is and isn't acceptable 'in the eyes of god,' in an attempt to actually sway human behavior.

So what? You said that, according to Catholic doctrine, "man cannot converse with God directly." I have no idea what that has to do with morality or what behavior is acceptable according to the church.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
'Converse' implies a two-way flow of information.

On the contrary. A conversation can be entirely one-way. For instance, I'm conversing with you, yet all of the information is going in one direction -- from me to you. You, in contrast, are providing nothing of value whatsoever.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Catholic church doesn't say that individuals cannot Beseech God, only that they aren't properly equipped to understand what he has to say about anything. At least, to the best of my knowledge, this is the case.

I think we're beginning to see the true depth of your knowledge regarding Catholic doctrine.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 02:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

As you acknowledge yourself, there is not any reliable evidence that your boy Jesus held he was the son of god, nor do i know of any authoritative source for that or that he held that he would die to redeem mankind. That makes the logic rather dodgy. Paul is hardly to be considered an authoritative source on Jesus. What i "believe" about scripture is based on sound historiographic method--the sources are too far removed from the events to be considered reliable.

I'm not sure how Jesus became "my boy," but then whether or not we have any reliable evidence for what Jesus may have said or thought (or even if he existed) is largely irrelevant to a discussion of Christian doctrine. Jesus, for all we know, may have believed that he was a red fire truck, but that doesn't change the fact that the people who we can describe as "Christians" believe that he was divine or partook of some part of divinity.

Setanta wrote:
Christ means anointed, and is probably a Greek translation of Messiah. Messiah means the prophesied deliverer of the Jews. Leaving aside that Jews aren't buying that line, it appears that one need only see the putative Jesus as having been the redeemer. There is no requirement that they believe that Jesus was the son of god, much less god himself.

Who are these Christians who believe Christ was the redeemer but not divine?
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 03:49 pm
@joefromchicago,
The Arians did not believe that Jesus was divine. If what Neologist has told me is true, the JWs don't believe that Jesus is divine. We can describe people who believe that Jesus existed, who revere his memory, and who follow or attempt to follow his teachings as Christians, whether or not you agree.

From the Wikipedia article on Arianism:

Quote:
The Arian concept of Christ is that the Son of God did not always exist, but was created by—and is therefore distinct from—God the Father. This belief is grounded in the Gospel of John passage “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." (verse 14:28)

From the Wikipedia article of the Jehovan's Witnesses:

Quote:
Jehovah's Witnesses emphasize use of God's biblical name, represented in the original texts by the Tetragrammaton, and in English they prefer to use the name, Jehovah. They believe that Jehovah is the only true God, the creator of all things, and the "Universal Sovereign". They believe that all worship should be directed toward him, and that he is not part of a Trinity; consequently, the religion places more emphasis on God than on Christ. They believe that the holy spirit is God's power or "active force" rather than a person.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus is God's only direct creation, that everything else was created by means of Christ, and that the initial unassisted act of creation uniquely identifies Jesus as God's "only-begotten Son". Jesus served as a redeemer and a ransom sacrifice to pay for the sins of mankind. They believe Jesus died on a single upright torture stake rather than the traditional cross. They believe that references in the Bible to the Archangel Michael, Abaddon (Apollyon), and the Word all refer to Jesus. Jesus is considered to be the only intercessor and high priest between God and mankind, and appointed by God as the king and judge of his kingdom. His role as a mediator (referred to in 1 Timothy 2:5) is applied to the 'anointed' class, though the 'other sheep' are said to also benefit from the arrangement.(emphasis added)
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 03:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

The Arians did not believe that Jesus was divine.

We've been over this before. The Arians did believe that Christ was divine, just not in the same way that many Christians today (such as the Catholics) believe that Christ was divine.

Setanta wrote:
Quote:
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus is God's only direct creation, that everything else was created by means of Christ, and that the initial unassisted act of creation uniquely identifies Jesus as God's "only-begotten Son".

Are you suggesting that Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Christ was god's son but that he was not in any way divine?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 04:07 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
On the contrary. A conversation can be entirely one-way. For instance, I'm conversing with you, yet all of the information is going in one direction -- from me to you. You, in contrast, are providing nothing of value whatsoever.

The fact that you have differing opinions than I on matters theological doesn't require you to be a dick. Nor does being a dick add to my or anyone else opinion of the quality of your contribution.

What more, your statement is factually untrue. The fact that you are (apparently) judging the quality of information flowing your direction from me as inadequate or irrelevant doesn't change the fact we are indeed exchanging information. You're also incorrect that a conversation can be 'one-way.' By definition, a conversation is an exchange of information. Look it up.

Can't help but note that nothing in your response actually directly related to anything that I said, but seems more like an attempt to incite or put me down in some way.

Cycloptichorn
George

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 04:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Look at it this way.

I can ask my manager for a raise.
I can ask my coworkers to ask my manager to give me a raise.
There's a difference.

I'm making no claims for the efficacy of prayer.
I making no claims for any increasing efficacy for increasing volume of prayer.
I'm just distinguishing different kinds of prayer.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 04:35 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Look at it this way.

I can ask my manager for a raise.
I can ask my coworkers to ask my manager to give me a raise.
There's a difference.

I'm making no claims for the efficacy of prayer.
I making no claims for any increasing efficacy for increasing volume of prayer.
I'm just distinguishing different kinds of prayer.

Sure. Let's use your example - why would your co-workers asking your manager to give you a raise be considered to be more effective or meaningful than asking for your own raise? If the manager (God, I guess, in this example) is all-knowing and all-powerful, I don't understand the value added by asking others to tell him what you are already telling him, which he already knew before you told him. If there's no additional value, why do it?

None of it makes a lick of sense to me - I wouldn't want to tell you or anyone how to live their life, or what to believe, but it's hard for me to reconcile many differing pieces of information that would seem to lead to contradicting conclusions.

Cycloptichorn
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 05:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The fact that you have differing opinions than I on matters theological doesn't require you to be a dick. Nor does being a dick add to my or anyone else opinion of the quality of your contribution.

I'm not the one who made a completely unsupportable statement and then has furiously backtracked and obfuscated in a vain attempt to escape from that statement, yet somehow I'm the dick?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
What more, your statement is factually untrue. The fact that you are (apparently) judging the quality of information flowing your direction from me as inadequate or irrelevant doesn't change the fact we are indeed exchanging information. You're also incorrect that a conversation can be 'one-way.' By definition, a conversation is an exchange of information. Look it up.

So you have no problem with the inadequate and irrelevant nature of your information so long as it's information of some kind? Well, then let me just reply by saying that a screw conveyor or auger conveyor is a mechanism that uses a rotating helical screw blade, called a "flighting", usually within a tube, to move liquid or granular materials.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Can't help but note that nothing in your response actually directly related to anything that I said, but seems more like an attempt to incite or put me down in some way.

That's because everything you said was completely unrelated to the point you initially raised and that I questioned. I'm paying attention to what you write. I encourage you to do the same.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 05:12 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

I'm not the one who made a completely unsupportable statement and then has furiously backtracked and obfuscated in a vain attempt to escape from that statement, yet somehow I'm the dick?

Exactly correct.

Quote:
So you have no problem with the inadequate and irrelevant nature of your information so long as it's information of some kind? Well, then let me just reply by saying that a screw conveyor or auger conveyor is a mechanism that uses a rotating helical screw blade, called a "flighting", usually within a tube, to move liquid or granular materials.

This is indeed true. Irrelevant, but true. See how being polite works?

Quote:
That's because everything you said was completely unrelated to the point you initially raised and that I questioned. I'm paying attention to what you write. I encourage you to do the same.

You could have simply asked for more clarification, or pointed out that the points that I was making were irrelevant to my original statement, or asked for more clarification of how they were relevant. But instead you felt it would be more fun or productive to attempt to insult me. That's not very interesting to me.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:19 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

I suspect Lash's unknown 7th grader would find much of this to be very familiar material. All of this is an excellent example of human intolerance and bigotry.

Discussing inconsistencies with people's stated religious beliefs and the historical record they supposedly base those beliefs on is tantamount to 'intolerance and bigotry?'

Recall that none of us are telling anyone what they can or cannot believe or asking anyone to change any of their behaviors whatsoever. That being the case, I think you are off the mark on this one. In fact, quite the opposite is true; nobody here is being 'intolerant' of anyone's beliefs at all. We tolerate them perfectly fine.

You should compare some of your statements here about the Catholic Church to Lash' earlier reports of the statements in class of her problem 7th grader. We have been discussing them as an example of unacceptable (in that setting) example of intolerance and bigotry. I think you will find that your statements are at least the equivalent (one is nearly identical) of those of the problem student.

Indeed at one point I thought you were channelling Ian Paisley.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Fashion, of course dictates regional variations and periodic changes in the groups that are the common targets of this stuff, and others that are sacred and immune. However, these are the only details that appear to change.

Pointing out the inherent hypocrisy in the differences between the established Catholic church's pronouncement of moral authority and both the actual words of Jesus (as recorded) and the actions of the leaders of the church has been in fashion, to the best of my knowledge, for well over 1500 years.

Possibly so. However, this is a claim the 7th grade student could have made as well. More significantly, if you were to have offered comments and criticisms here similar to your about the Catholic Church, instead about (say) homosexuals or African Americans, I think you would have been greeted with a storm of protest about your intolerance and bigotry ( euphamistically lebelled as homophobia and racism).
George

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
George wrote:
. . . I'm making no claims for the efficacy of prayer. . . I'm just
distinguishing different kinds of prayer.
Sure. Let's use your example - why would your co-workers asking your
manager to give you a raise be considered to be more effective or
meaningful than asking for your own raise? . . .
I give up.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:33 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Possibly so. However, this is a claim the 7th grade student could have made as well. More significantly, if you were to have offered comments and criticisms here similar to your about the Catholic Church, instead about (say) homosexuals or African Americans, I think you would have been greeted with a storm of protest about your intolerance and bigotry ( euphamistically lebelled as homophobia and racism).

It's quite impossible for us to know the outcome of a fictional conversation you've dreamed up. I think it's difficult, however, to compare the Catholic church and a discussion of their actions vs. their stated morals, with a ethnic or sexually-oriented group such as African Americans or Homosexuals; in that criticism of those groups typically relies on inherent characteristics of those groups, whereas that of the church lies in the actions of those within it, not the inherent characteristics of the group of people.

The 7th grader's comments, were they backed up with logical reasoning (or even an attempt at it) are not necessarily bigoted; but they were out of place, because that forum wasn't appropriate for discussions of that type. A2K, on the other hand, is entirely appropriate for discussions of that type. So, once again, the comparison that you are attempting to make here is not what I would call an entirely valid one.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:34 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
George wrote:
. . . I'm making no claims for the efficacy of prayer. . . I'm just
distinguishing different kinds of prayer.
Sure. Let's use your example - why would your co-workers asking your
manager to give you a raise be considered to be more effective or
meaningful than asking for your own raise? . . .
I give up.

I'm simply trying to understand the reasoning behind why said actions are encouraged or thought to be helpful - to understand what, if any, logical structure underlies the action. But if you prefer not to discuss that aspect of it, it's fine with me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Exactly correct.

I'm glad we agree that you're the one who made a completely unsupportable statement and then furiously backtracked and obfuscated in a vain attempt to escape from his statement. As for the dick part, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
This is indeed true. Irrelevant, but true. See how being polite works?

Ouagadougou's primary industries are food processing and textiles. It is served by an international airport, rail links to Abidjan in the Ivory Coast and to Kaya in the north of Burkina, and a highway to Niamey, Niger.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You could have simply asked for more clarification, or pointed out that the points that I was making were irrelevant to my original statement, or asked for more clarification of how they were relevant. But instead you felt it would be more fun or productive to attempt to insult me. That's not very interesting to me.

This respect thing works both ways. You could have responded to my points by actually addressing them, instead of injecting completely irrelevant arguments in an attempt to divert the discussion. Show me some respect and you can expect some in return.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:00 pm
@joefromchicago,
Right, because providing responses in a discussion that don't match your standards of relevance is the height of disrespect and certainly sufficient grounds to insult someone.

Have a nice day.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

It's quite impossible for us to know the outcome of a fictional conversation you've dreamed up. I think it's difficult, however, to compare the Catholic church and a discussion of their actions vs. their stated morals, with a ethnic or sexually-oriented group such as African Americans or Homosexuals; in that criticism of those groups typically relies on inherent characteristics of those groups, whereas that of the church lies in the actions of those within it, not the inherent characteristics of the group of people.
Nonsense. It would be very easy to discuss groups of people, including those I listed, based on their collective individual actions actions, just as you claim to have done about the Catholic Church, which itself is merely a group of people. You are trying to escape your hypocrisy here by playing with definitions and categorical evasion.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

The 7th grader's comments, were they backed up with logical reasoning (or even an attempt at it) are not necessarily bigoted; but they were out of place, because that forum wasn't appropriate for discussions of that type. A2K, on the other hand, is entirely appropriate for discussions of that type. So, once again, the comparison that you are attempting to make here is not what I would call an entirely valid one

Perhaps I missed the logical reasoning in your comments about the Catholic Church.

I'll agree that almost anything goes here on A2K. We see lots of hypocrisy, narrow-minded bigotry, stupid categorical judgments, innumerable examples of intolerance for opposing perspectives, scatological insults and so on here as a matter of routine. However, apart from a couple of wierd threads (the one on Black crimes, for example) we see very little of that stuff directed at homosexuals and African Americans. Why do you suppose that is the case?

Why would a classrom be "out of place" for critical comments on matters relevent to materials that are indeed the subject of the course? My strong impression is that Lash considered the comments to be offensive in themselves, and clear examples of intolerance and bigotry, and therefore out of place anywhere, precisely because of their content and one-sided and categorical judgments of others.

Your statements were entirely equivalent. While they may be acceptable here on A2K, they remain intolerant and bigoted.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Right, because providing responses in a discussion that don't match your standards of relevance is the height of disrespect and certainly sufficient grounds to insult someone.

I insulted you? When did I do that? Was it before or after you called me a "dick?"
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 07:34 pm
@georgeob1,
I would submit, based on your response, that you may be confused regarding the definitions of the words intolerance and bigotry:

Intolerance - lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, persons of different races or backgrounds, etc.

Bigot(ry) - one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Nothing that I've written here can be construed to be intolerant or bigoted in any way. I've shown hatred towards none and certainly haven't refused to respect the opinions of those who disagree with me; perhaps you could show me where, exactly, I did this?

The fact that you don't like or agree with what I may have had to say doesn't mean that my actions rise to the level of either of those definitions.

Quote:
Nonsense. It would be very easy to discuss groups of people, including those I listed, based on their collective individual actions actions, just as you claim to have done about the Catholic Church, which itself is merely a group of people. You are trying to escape your hypocrisy here by playing with definitions and categorical evasion.

Do I really need to point out to you that there is no hierarchy that governs the actions or opinions of either homosexuals or African-Americans, while the Catholic Church most certainly is governed by a hierarchy, with official positions, representatives and a leader? The two things you are attempting to compare here simply are not the same in any way - the actions the Catholic Church is currently taking a great deal of heat for are NOT simply individual actions, not things done by one person, but instead a tremendous number of abuse events that were actively and affirmatively covered up by this hierarchy (including both the previous leader of the church and the current one) for decades and likely centuries. What similar actions by either of the groups you named are comparable, and what authority group consistently shielded those who took them from the law?

Cycloptichorn