Clary's Travel Digression

msolga

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 02:11 am
Wonderful words & pics, Clary!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 07:45 am
Thanks loyal friend!!
I am sitting in the Dubai house listening to water cascading in from our unaccustomed rainstorms. Into the house, that is. Into a plastic tub which is already half full.
ed
So thinking about Mughsayl Beach and the night in Rakhyut is preferable. Rakhyut Hotel was a strange place, octagonal and two story, in a tiny village with no visible means of support (the village not the hotel), built apparently 6 years ago, almost new furnishings but still knots of cables sticking out of walls, not a hook or a cupboard or a table or a chair in any room, just a vast bed, tasteful blue curtains with tiebacks, a fridge and a vast TV. The Bangladeshi chap in charge said it would be 12 Rials for the night (about 15 pounds) which we thought reasonable, and agreed to. A bit later he said 'No, not 12. 10 Rials'. Odd, that.

So it was pretty good value!

We had chicken and rice, for a change, and the only witness was a lone camel coming past snuffling at the discarded paper napkins.

Next day we had to turn north, but being adventurous didn't want to retrace our steps but try a new road, not pakka, just what they called a 'graded road' but the map was very unreliable.... it marked a petrol station in Rakhyut and THERE ISN'T ONE. So we bounced merrily north miles from everywhere, trying to use as little gas as we could, just wondering if the 130 km was possible on an eighth of a tank.

Eventually, we got to a village and Rustom gestured about petrol - to our relief, we were directed further up the road where some plastic tanks stood about and a shifty Indian guy took several rials off us and pumped about a gallon into the car with a nifty hand pump. Excitement over, we felt a bit annoyed we hadn't tried to see if we could go all the way to the next town, especially as the road suddenly turned into a metalled highway and it looked as though a gas station might well materialise. We stopped to brew up some pot noodles in a deserted square, sitting on foldout deckchairs in a very British way, facing the meagre park and with our backs to the mosque.

And then we were on the main road north, a long, dusty and rather substandard road, with hardly anything to relieve the tedium - it was the Empty Quarter, which runs into Saudi Arabia for hundreds of km. We played car cricket, counting 2 for a lorry, 4 for a van or 4x4, 3 for a bus and out for a normal saloon - got big scores too, nearly all trucks and pickups. The desert there has some beautiful colours, but it was a windy and hazy day, sometimes the visibility right down, like going through a fog. I found driving hazardous and left it to the lad.

I haven't found a way of putting a link to Rustom's photos on Facebook. Otherwise you could see the real thing, not just other people's pics. Sorry about that!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 09:15 am
Fantastic catching up again.

Clary, I'll send you a pm about the photos.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2008 01:33 pm
Enjoyed another fascinating chapter, thank you for sharing your experiences Clary.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 01:35 am
We had intended to camp in the Empty Quarter, and we went to an experimental sand dune, but it was so windy and dusty and starting to get cold that we wimped out and went to one of the many 'resthouses' that are strung out along this road, for all the world like an old caravanserai, just blank walls outside and inside courtyards with bedrooms opening off them. Motel, nowadays, I suppose.
It was quite cheap and cheerful, and the Goan waiter talked to us a lot about the exploitation of Indians (after working in the Marriott in Goa, he had got a job in Muscat, but had to live 15 to a room which was never cleaned - and when he complained, was thrown out of the job; well, that was his side of it, one never knows).
We had a very nice supper of - well yes, chicken and rice, but also vegetable curry and dal and the drink called Laban which is a slightly salty yogurt drink like lassi but less thick and rich, very healthy it feels. No booze of course. Getting used to it now...

Next day we reentered the civilised area, mountains, towns, wadis, ROUNDABOUTS, driving through Nizwa (good coffee at the hotel I stayed in in December) to Bahla.

http://img.travelserver.eu/img/2/e/9/e/2340718.jpg the hotel

and

http://lazelsberger.at/guenther/u2002/Bahla.jpg

whose mud fort and old town are extremely picturesque, but the fort is closed to the public (possibly temporarily as it was clothed in scaffolding one end)

We also went to Jabrin fort which was open, and a maze of staircases and rooms with some great views.
http://www.fotomusica.net/castillos/Fort-at-Jabrin,-Oman%5B1%5D.JPG

and then headed into the mountains for some more wadis to drive in and pools to see; but not to swim as by then it was getting much cooler. In fact, when we finally did get to a nice bit of flat wadi, and parked in order to camp, it felt distinctly chilly and we mustered all the dead palm fronds we could find to make a fire as we heated our matar paneer curry and couscous. We'd kept a bottle of wine for the last evening, so could enjoy that before bedding down at about 8 o'clock. It got colder. Sleeping bags that unzip themselves when you move are a real pain. We slept and then didn't sleep. At about 1 in the morning Rustom decided to put the heating on, so we lay with the engine running and the blissful heat blowing around for twenty minutes before getting our heads down for some more kip. At about four we did it again. And when dawn came, and lit up the OTHER side of the wadi, we lay and waited for sunlight to come near enough so we could stumble over and sit in that to make our 3-in-1 coffee.
Not before time, we were due home that day, and felt in need of good hot showers and comfortable nights... we went through the border into the UAE at Buraimy/Al Ain which was much quicker and more efficient than the one at Hatta (in case anyone needs to know), and were in two minds about leaving the wilder beauties of Oman for the first-world comforts of Abu Dhabi.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 01:41 am
A nice contrast to rainy Britain.

Floods in middle England, by the way.

Thanks Clary.

McT
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 01:45 am
good yarn!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 01:51 am
Enjoyable stuff Clary.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2008 05:17 am
And then we stopped at a vast shopping mall in Al Ain and went to an American-style rather slow fast-food joint for a sub and chips.... from the wild and woolly to the ultramodern and fattening!!! Made a change from chicken and rice though. And so home.

Since coming back the weather has deteriorated so I have been housebound for 3 days - Bush's visit closed all the roads, then the rainstorms did. So tomorrow I venture out again...shopping for presents to take home next week.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
Thursday I spent an hour in an Indian jewellery shop, admittedly buying silver earrings and suchlike but also drinking tea with the two chaps who ran it, and doling out marriage advice!

Friday was interesting. We got up betimes because Rustom was due to run in a quarter marathon (?) but I didn't realise it was just after the real Dubai Marathon, so actually had a grandstand view of the champion runner Haile Gebrselassie winning it, not actually breaking his own world record but setting a new one for Dubai. Most impressive, looking as fresh as a daisy as he sprinted in!

Rustom came in honourably under the hour for 10 km, but considering he hardly trained and is an old man of 29, this is quite respectable.

Then in the evening we went to the very good film 'Charlie Wilson's War' -allowing for the oversimplification of the politics involved, I thought really well written and acted. Enjoyed it more than I thought.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 12:51 pm
Great stories. I waaaaaaaaant to go!
0 Replies

The Pen is

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 11:56 pm
Great place, ehBeth, saddle your camel and get over there!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 08:25 am
Went on a tourist cruise along the creek today, as I had a free ticket and the weather wasn't beachy. I politely asked 3 lolling Aussie women if they would mind making a space for me, and one said 'Where, exactly?' so I said, 'Perhaps where the bags are' (on the seat) and she sad 'We have someone here with a bad knee.' which seemed to close the conversation. Luckily I sat on the step with a brilliant view and they had to keep turning their heads and craning... some Aussie women are really - not very nice.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 05:11 pm
Clary wrote:
....I politely asked 3 lolling Aussie women if they would mind making a space for me, and one said 'Where, exactly?' so I said, 'Perhaps where the bags are' (on the seat) and she sad 'We have someone here with a bad knee.' which seemed to close the conversation.

Yeah, well that seems fair enough to me, Clary! Gosh you're so unreasonable sometimes!
0 Replies

The Pen is

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 01:49 pm
Did she have a bad knee after you kicked it?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2008 05:33 pm
Clary should be back home by now. Planning her next trip, I expect. Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 03:20 am
Funny you should say that...

I "have" to take my youngest son, Tam, to Brussels as he's got a paid internship somewhere in the convoluted interstices of the EU. 2nd March, it seems. And once over there... who can tell?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 03:35 am
No doubt you'll keep your readers informed, won't you?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 03:39 am
Not sure Brussels and environs are really worth a blog, but we'll see. Unexpected things can happen!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 03:24 pm
http://photos-200.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v159/115/26/268100200/n268100200_370703_9563.jpg

ooooh

Goa!
0 Replies