Clary's Travel Digression

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 04:40 pm
Dutchy wrote:
Remember a good travel dialogue is always well illustrated, I'm sure McTag, would agree with me.

My goodness yes.

It is to be hoped that someone in the party is equipped with a camera, and that photos will eventually emerge.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 02:51 am
Stop going on about photos. One picture may be worth a thousand words, but I am giving you the thousand words. It would have been enough for Kipling, one of the most vivid travel writers (try Letters of Marque). I suggest Dutchy's interest is prurient, anyway; he probably realises the diaphanous nature of the garment in question (it goes on OVER all the clothes). For those who can't or won't read, this is a good photo website which covers the bits of Oman I visited and more besides: http://www.gomideast.com/librar/oman/dennis/index.html

After a short respite in Dubai, I sallied forth in the pinkish Nissan Tiida on Sunday morning to the main bit of Oman, via the border town of Hatta (shades of Alice in Wonderland there). The roads are all huge, 6 lane out of Dubai and 4 lane in Oman, very American, and as I mentioned, many people drive Hummers and Cherokees and the like. So you can picture the beige desert, occasional scrubby bushes, flat up to just before Hatta, but seared by the road. Also various urbanisations, ribbon development small shops: auto repairs, 'food stuff', cafeterias.

The border is tricky. There are several bits to it, and if you miss one you may have to retrace your steps as far as 15 km. However although it took an hour, I was eventually released into Oman proper. I stopped for lunch when the word Restaurant caught my eye. It was in one of the ribbon developments between major towns, so nowhere, really. I don't think they were exactly expecting lone women. But I was ushered into the back room reserved for our gender, and brought a bottle of local water. The owner enquired 'chicken, fish?' so I chose chicken and it came crisply fried, with a small salad (tomato, purple onion, shredded lettuce, cucumber) and fragrant pilau rice - one of the best meals I've had here and that includes fancy foreign restaurants. It cost about a pound, that's 2 dollars. The only curious thing was being given a spoon and fork to eat it with. I had to pick up the chicken leg - a plus being sequestered away from the mainstream.

The roads are the best landscaped I have ever seen, and kept watered by desalinated water all the time. Banks of bougainvillea in solid colours, flanked with taller banks of the same, are fronted by carpets of busy lizzies and other vibrant flowers, all done tastefully and unlike the Burj al Arab carpets. Each roundabout (and there are lots) as one nears Muscat is a veritable park, usually adorned with a sculpture - here a vast coffeepot, there an open treasure chest, and everywhere the flower beds.

Here is a well-known landmark roundabout in Muscat:
http://www.eddie-hughes.com/pix/main.php/d/381-2/muscat_roundabout.jpg

and here, but for the disfigurement of the gent on the left...
http://community.iexplore.com/photos/journal_photos/BookRdbt.jpg

Breaking for lunch now, back later!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 11:56 am
That was a long lunch.

In Muscat I followed the dulcet tones of my borrowed SatNav and, having circumnavigated certain roundabouts more often than strictly necessary, ended up at the Marina Hotel, a modest establishment opposite the Fish Market. They were expecting me, and that is always reassuring, also I could park just outside even though it was on a miniroundabout. Parking is generally free- and easy - compared to northern Europe where it is a nightmare.

My single room had no view, except of some industrial strength airconditioning plant on its balcony, but it did have its own bathroom, albeit cracked about the basin, and was only 16 rials. Bearing in mind that the Omani rial is about the biggest bit of currency in the world, about the same as 1 pound 25, this is not dirt cheap, but then nothing is. Unlike Asia, for example.

I sallied forth for a stroll in the late afternoon, dusk coming swiftly across the harbour where I dallied, leaning on the wall and watching it. Things come to life around 4 or 5, and stay open until about 8, so I went to the souq/souk/suq (most useful for Scrabble) just up the road and had a good wander through the covered alleyways. Most of the traders were Indian/Pakistani, and the goods ranged as usual from tourist tat to real expensive jewellery, with heavy emphasis on clothes.

I returned to the hotel at suppertime, soaring to the 5th floor (marked P on the lift buttons) and finding a charming small restaurant with an open balcony for alfresco dining, commanding views of the harbour and in particular the (rather hideous) giant bukhur, or incense burner, on the opposite side.

http://www.geocities.com/samirkharusi/bukhur.jpg

To my surprise and delight they were not an alcohol-free establishment either, so I had a refreshing beer while I chatted to the Goan waiter and was advised to order the grilled kingfish, freshly bought at the Fish Market opposite. It was delicious, served with chips (what else?) and salad. The air temperature was about 23 and there was a slight breeze. Perfect. Except for an uncouth Arab guest who was swearing in English into his mobile phone for about 20 minutes sounding as though he would explode with rage at some luckless interlocutor. David, the Goan, had a quiet word with him and then came and apologised to me for the disturbance, a nice gesture I thought. Later I heard that he had been 'banned'.

Here's a photo of my view from the Marina, but I don't know why the people who took it call it 'dodgy', it was just not very big or expensive.

http://www.ianandwendy.com/slideshowAOG/OtherTrips/UAE-Oman/Oman/Muscat%20Mutrah/picture2.htm

And so betimes to bed, exhausted by the drive and dozy with good food and beer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 01:28 pm
Riding along with you, enjoying it...

This sentence especially caught my eye...

"The roads are the best landscaped I have ever seen, and kept watered by desalinated water all the time." It made me think of California, which could use some fixing of its irrigation practices, or, worded differently, fixing of some of its irrigation practices, not all irrigation there being wastefully arranged. California is, of course, smack dab on the Pacific Ocean, and local water sources are oft spare and will be getting more spare.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 02:13 pm
Interestedly following your travel dialogue, giving me itchy feet, off myself on Friday but a mere 700km drive into the Australian bush. No exotic places like where you are just an outback pub and flies. LOL
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:17 pm
Where are you heading, Dutchy?

travelling along, Clary!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:20 pm
margo wrote:

travelling along, Clary!

Central Eyre Peninsula. SA
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:21 pm
Dutchy wrote:
margo wrote:

Central Eyre Peninsula. SA

For Christmas?
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:26 pm
Indeed Margo, son's in-laws run a wheat farm there, out in the mulga. Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:37 pm
Dutchy wrote:
Indeed Margo, son's in-laws run a wheat farm there, out in the mulga. Smile

That's seriously towards the mulga, Dutchy.

Have fun!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:44 pm
Enjoy, Dutchy! Very Happy
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:25 am
He really means that about 'beyond the black stump'... though Aussie bush experiences aren't so different from the Arabian desert ones.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:27 am
Clary wrote:
He really means that about 'beyond the black stump'... though Aussie bush experiences aren't so different from the Arabian desert ones.

Really? Surprised
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:51 am
Well bbq in the desert...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 01:55 am
Clary wrote:
Well bbq in the desert...

I see your point, Clary!

Tough stuff! :wink:
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 04:04 am
msolga wrote:
Enjoy, Dutchy! Very Happy

Thanks olga. Dinner will probably be in the shearing shed as a reasonable cool day (28 degrees) has been forecast for Christmas. Bushies know how to celebrate, believe you me. Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 06:44 am
http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/3910/98750/t/645847-Mutrah-Souq-Muscat-0.jpg

The souq was exactly as it is in the photo.

So on Monday I rang the British Council and an educational agent, and got appointments, and then did some more strolling about, having a mixed fruit cocktail of huge proportions at the self-promoting Fast Food Restaurant (maybe the food was fast but the service was leisurely in the extreme). The town is really a series of villages squeezed into the relatively flat bits of coast in between rocky little mountains, and a lengthy walk inland always ends in a backyard with a sheer rockface behind it. And there are forts on some of the rocky eminences too.
http://thump01.pbase.com/u36/bmcmorrow/small/24618048.oman220.jpg

After a siesta I went to the walled city of Muscat itself, now just a forgotten corner, which had gates that were shut at night, until 1970. There is a nice, restful museum there called Bait al Zubair which is an ex-royal mansion, with pleasant exhibits of locally differing dress, jewellery etc and quite a few royal portraits. And there was an art gallery over the road where I bought some cheap prints. I preferred the house to the art collection, there was a lush inner courtyard with a fountain and greenery -a very beguiling style.

That was it. Another fish was on the menu, fresh tuna, delicious. Dining on one's own is easier in a small hotel, people chatted; a French-speaking Caribbean man from Germany (really) spoke to me for some time, but since the conversation le,was all about him, I left after three quarters of an hour, though he gave me his room number quite often in case I should feel lonely. Huh! Still he was 45 so in the nature of a toyboy, perhaps I should be flattered.

The next morning I went to the British Council in the attractively named suburb of Qurm. Isn't Terry Pratchett's discworld Arab nation called Quirm? He must have got it from there. I gave them brochures, they have a nice little library and a quiet space for study.

Then, because the other agent couldn't see me that day, I drove to Nizwa, said to be the second most interesting city. It was a long drive, and I wasn't terribly impressed. Fort, yes, but forts are all the same really. A modern souq done in the same style and very touristy. But a chance find of a VERY nice hotel, the Falaj Daris, called 3 star - it attracted me because it had a pool and I felt the need. Huge cool marble rooms, two nice pools, a very pretty outside restaurant area, and friendly staff. An indulgent afternoon. I just had hummous and Arabic bread for lunch, it is so delicious here, and for dinner a fish curry, very well cooked, tasty, and with that lightly spiced rice they have all over the place here. No dessert. Full enough!

And then I had to go all the way back to Qurm to meet the agent at 9 30 so left the hotel without breakfast at 6 30. She, the agent, is a feisty Irishwoman who's been married to an Omani for 20 years and has latterly built up a strong agency for universities and language schools in Britain. Although admitting to a 'prejudice against anything west of Bournemouth', she graciously agreed that our school looked very good and she would be happy to send us students. So I have earned my keep here!

To Sohar for the night, a good beachy place BUT with terrible hotels. Lunch in the Beach Club Hotel was not bad, but overpriced and the service was terrible. And then the place I stayed!! Rustom had booked it for me, knowing I like the bizarre, but this took bizarre biscuits! My SatNav tried its damnedest to get me there, but they were dualling the carriageway outside and every time I got onto a road that might go there, I was going the wrong way. Eventually I drove over some desert probably going up the down staircase or equivalent and found this cakelike monstrosity in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.geocities.com/soharhotel/english.html is its website but you don't want to believe all it says; it now costs 3 times that, and has hardly any of the facilities it boasts. My room overlooked a well designed pool that you couldn't get to because the paths weren't finished; a half built concrete building (?maybe going to be a restaurant) and flat scrubby desert. No liquor licence. No restaurant operating but room service, apparently. One languid Omani on the desk. A deathly hush. Did anyone ever come here, miles from the sea or from anything remotely interesting? Apparently they have deals with development companies whose expat workers need to be accommodated.

Amazing how riveting CNN can be when there is literally nothing of any interest anywhere else!

I left even earlier, as I had to get my hired car back to Dubai by 11 o'clock and the border would take some negotiating. On the way, dashing along at 130 kph, I let the car wander to the side a bit, not really having taken in that there is no hard shoulder on these roads. In fact there was a 6 inch drop from the carriageway onto stony desert, and my righthand wheel went over it, spinning the car round I overcompensated as one does and it spun round again - and I ended up 10 yards down into the scrub with a stalled car, moaning 'this can't be happening'. I'm not used to an automatic, and so when I turned the key and nothing happened, I assumed I was well and truly f***ed. I got out, and to my relief two cars pulled off the road, and a motorbike, and I was surrounded by charming friendly, helpful and English-speaking people, who took charge, made sure I was unhurt, told me not to panic, everything was fine, showed me that the car started again when in Park, and advised me to sit calmly for 10 minutes before driving off again. Kindly Omanis!

I drove more carefully after that, and reached the smart Emirates Towers hotel where I was returning the car on the stroke of 11. I was extremely thankful to be able to swap the car for a taxi. Driving here is just too alarming.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:27 pm
Back from India two days ago!

We had a generally good time in Goa; my 2 younger sons joined us in Dubai and the three lads reverted to puppydom, going dune-bashing on quad bikes and revelling in being tipped over in the sand. I skulked at the open roadside cafe which had a young camel in a cage; small kids were teasing it nastily watched indulgently by their parents. I felt the gulf between the west and the east.

We then flew to Mumbai which was as chaotic and slummy and hot and polluted as ever, had a few hours there, middle son kept wanting to go and look at the largest slum in the world, Dharavi, which had been featured in the Economist as a very successful slum.. but I resisted so we looked at old colonial buildings instead.

Our hotel in Miramar (the beach for Panaji) was great, they had just upgraded the rooms so everything worked, and the restaurant was wonderful. We sat out night after night in the balmy air, stuffing ourselves with butter chicken and vegetable kofta and panir bharji and garlic nan (another reason I won't post photos, so fat I am becoming), and from 8 till 10 a mournful man sang Hindi film songs in a sort of karaoke setup with backup from the usual instruments.

But I was a bit disappointed with Goa. The plastic rubbish shows no sign of abating; it covers the once beautiful beaches in a thin grimy layer. It was, admittedly, top tourist time, and the place was heaving. Mostly Indian tourists (we were the only non-Indians in our government-run hotel - not surprising since it was a real effort booking it, as they wouldn't take Visa or electronic transfer, it had to be a real paper bank draft), another change from when I was there in 1974 for my first wedding anniversary. Few hippies remain, there were a couple of wizened and walnut-coloured men with long grey hair who looked as though they'd been there since the 60s and had been stoned the entire time, but otherwise none of the idyllic hideaway stuff Goa used to represent.

The impressive and beautiful white Portuguese churches are still there, of course, well maintained and decorative. I think about half the population count themselves as Catholics. The bonus side of that for us was the popularity of alcohol - even wine made there. We had a bottle of local champagne for Christmas, pleasant if a little sweet.

On Christmas night we went on a special party cruise. Again, the only non-Indians. I had a sparkly dress I'd bought in Oman to rival the beaded and sequined saris, and there were games and dancing under the stars as we drifted slowly up the river estuary and back. At about 11 the buffet dinner appeared and very good it was too. And lots of beer.

At the end of the evening, around 1 30, prizes were awarded and to my astonishment I got a 'special prize'. For the 'seniormost lady' dancing! You could have knocked me down with a bargepole. A very handy strong carrier bag, with a half bottle of wine, a miniature of cashew fenny (one of those local drinks that lurk at the back of everyone's cupboard for years until they solidify), a sports shirt and a baseball cap wih Goa on it. Not a bad haul for just being old.

We were supposed to be going to Iran this week, Rustom and I. He had been frustratedly trying to book tickets for weeks, and the visa system and price was also alarming. To cap it all, I looked at the weather predictions for Isfahan this week. Between -2 and -5, and FOG written all over the day we were flying. Now, I hate flying at the best of times, but using a local cost-cutting airline to fly to a mountain fastness in freezing fog was just the last straw. I had a serious discussion with the hungover Rustom yesterday morning and he agreed that Allah had obviously NOT wanted us to visit Iran this time, but would be happy for us to drive to Oman in Rustom's jeep with his new Offroad Guide, and camp. There is still so much of Oman to see, 1000 km south of Muscat that I didn't start to visit, and some of it beautiful and unusual. So we are getting ready today and tomorrow it's the open road! Both very relieved, we are!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:44 pm
That is fascinating stuff "Senior Lady" and I say this with awe. A most interesting description of your latest venture, you certainly get around Clary. Looking forfard to the next instalment. Must not forget to wish you and your sons a Very Happy New Year. Take care.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 12:49 am
Stirring accounts, Clary. Thank you. Eric Newby, Wilfred Thesiger, who they?

And to think, we got as far as Derbyshire this season....where I damaged a man's car door in the car park.... Embarrassed
0 Replies