Clary's Travel Digression

Clary

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:22 am
teabag tea with boiling water, and muesli, sound fine to me, McT! Good to catch you so early!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:25 am
Have a save journey, Clary.
(Toast, marmelade [Tiptree/organic], boiled egg, coffee)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:30 am
Ess gut, Walter!

Now mid-afternoon, time for another mango shake.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:35 am
Thanks, Clary, finished. (Not going to start asking about the temperatures now there ... bitter cold here momentarily)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:49 am
Well, let's just say that I prefer to spend a pound an hour to sit in the cool of the internet cafe than walking around the crowded streets in the early afternoon! Somewhere there must be a warm place with just the right temperature...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:51 am
Thanks for the update, Clary, really enjoying your trip..
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 03:55 am
Just reading online travellers' recommendations in Cambodia, mostly dirty guesthouses, mosquito-y gardens and scary river trips with hard seats... oh woe is me, I'm too old for all this!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:35 am
I'm sure, Clary, you got these informations before and are prepared for that :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 09:21 am
Sounds like Simon is a great traveling companion... I would surely need some intrepid spirit and prior knowledge to attempt all this.

I am still amazed and astounded at you, Clary, since I've seen signs written in SE Asian languages... there's no way I could begin to understand what they are saying.

Btw, I've heard that Costa Rica has the nearly perfect climate you said you were seeking: not too hot, not too cold.

Thanks for sharing your travels!
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 10:17 am
I really do feel like I'm traveling with you vicariously, Clary. Love your descriptions of places, people & things there. When's the slide show/movie?! :wink:
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 10:28 am
Hi, Clary!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 05:56 pm
It sounds so exciting, Clare! I'll bet you're sleeping like a log every night, yes? I'm really enjoying having this trip with you & look forward to the next instalment. Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 02:33 pm
Clary wrote:
He's discouraging me from getting travel insurance for Cambodia, and thinks Deet the mosquito repellent is bad for you... so I'm pretending I'm just as chilled out as he is (HELP!!!).

Off to look for Deet while he's busy doing something else now ... expect to sign in again in a couple of days, this travelling sure takes a deal of time.

Clary - great yarns!

DEET may well be bad for you - but, let me tell you, malaria is even worse! Bloody inconvenient, difficult to treat, and can be life threatening. It could put quite a damper on your trip. Prophylaxis HAS to be better.

Travel insurance is a good thing, too - if you ask me (which you didn't - but - tennyrate..... Razz )
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:24 pm
I had a whole thread on Deet, but where was it, maybe on another forum. I was going to my aunt's memorial service, see, two years ago now. It was right by a lake in Idaho, in a very old and small cemetary. I think it was Farmerman who told me about mixing the serious Deet you can buy at some drugstores, half and half, I think it was, with lavender oil. I did that. and divided the concoction up into spray bottles. I used it. I was in my early life in the midwest, the mosquito's friend. This time, in a visible cloudbank of mosquitoes, I remained unbitten. Wonderful, for me, that once.

Where I live now, there is a mosquito or two once a year, no big deal.

But I remember lying awake in Guatemala City with this kamakaze mosquito hellbent on my ear... should have had that Deetlavender concoction then...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:56 pm
Deet? What is this Deet stuff?
And lavender oil .... That sounds more user friendly. Very Happy
Tell me more! I get eaten alive by mosquitoes in any place, at any time. They love my blood! Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:10 am
Hi, msy. Deet is some oily compile of stuff that kills mosquitoes and, I gather, may have some side effects to you or environment sometime later, though I didn't see anything on that when I inquired in a semipanic state, being due to be at a gravesite in a mosquito cloud.

Farmerman said it was just as potent diluted by half, so I did. What I can't remember now is the formula for the deet vial I bought at the drugstore. Let's say the most powerful one.

The same drugstore had these little sweetums perfume spray vials (entirely across the store), and that is what I used to put in a half deet, a half lavender oil.

To get the lavender oil, you need to be a swifty online (I know you are) or have a pharmacy that has a touchyfeely aisle. You can usually get some lavender oil there... It was at least as expensive as the DEET vial, remembering now, the deet thingy was about $10 00, us, now.

or no doubt, on line.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:26 am
Thanks for that osso .... Will definitely check it out. You have no idea, the yucky relationship between mosquitoes & me!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:57 am
All your DEET questions...answered by the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/qa/insect_repellent.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 04:19 am
Thanks for that, caprice. That should tell me what I need to know.
BTW, that's a wonderful avatar you have there. I love it! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:50 am
... following along, over a bacon and swiss on flax bread, with yesterday's tea ...
0 Replies