I need a switch for the computer

roger

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:23 pm
The switch on my Acer Aspire has bit the dust. I've left it running for two weeks because I don't know if I'll be able to get it turned on again. I checked one repair shop, and they couldn't find one.

Any help appreciated. I would hate to replace a functional machine for a $5.00 on/off switch
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,775 • Replies: 27
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by roger
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:45 pm
@roger,
http://www.frys.com/product/6801536?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Is this what you want???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:46 pm
The thought may make you nervous, but have you considered just unplugging it?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:47 pm
@roger,
You gonna beat your 'puter with a switch? Has it been acting that badly?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 07:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I get Roger's pov.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 08:00 pm
@roger,
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/miniaturepushbuttonswitchonoff.aspx

I am not an expert on computer switches, but here is another "lead". Mr. P. loves this store. When he goes there, I have to literally drag him out.
roger

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:26 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Either might be it, but it looks like I would have to take the thing apart to find out, since neither lists the applications. Maybe I'll dig into it tomorrow. Thanks for the lead.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:28 pm
@Setanta,
As a matter of fact, it makes me nervous since I'm always been advised to follow a normal shut down. I guess it would start without requiring the switch.

Does anyone know why I shouldn't do this?
parados

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:31 pm
@roger,
laptop or desktop? What is the product number?
parados

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2013 10:39 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

As a matter of fact, it makes me nervous since I'm always been advised to follow a normal shut down. I guess it would start without requiring the switch.

Does anyone know why I shouldn't do this?

It depends on the switch. If the computer has a soft switch that isn't working, unplugging will turn the computer off but unless the computer is set to restart automatically after power outage, you won't be able to restart it.

I had a computer that had a bad switch. I simply changed the on/off connector on the motherboard to connect to the reset switch so the computer turned on/off with the reset switch.
roger

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 12:26 am
@parados,
Acer Aspire E380
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 02:54 am
@roger,
Perhaps you can find some advice in one of the user fora, like here?
roger

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 03:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Good shot, Walt, but scrolling the topics didn't turn up anything similar.

I did find the Acer parts site, and sent off an email. I do seem to recall that the company wasn't especially responsive when I first bought the thing, but I continue to hope.
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 12:25 pm
@roger,
What about logging off and then shutdown with procedure such as with Win 7:
(I can't say what the Mac procedure would or should be.)

Bring up Manager by pressing Ctrl, Alt, Delete simultaneously.

Select Log Off

This should now put the computer in a mode that is safe to power down by pulling the plug.

I'd not recommend doing this a perm solution. In fact, what I do is leave my computer in the logged off state and never power down. BTW, I always use a power surge protection strip.
roger

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 12:45 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks, that's what I'll do till I can track down a switch. I didn't know that was a safer way of unplugging. I won't really unplug, since I do have a surge protector that has a switch.

I'll probably get the same result by using the Windows Start Button and selecting Log Off. If that isn't as safe, let me know.

I've heard the discussions on under power. It does seem like it would use a lot of power over the course of a month.
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 12:59 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I'll probably get the same result by using the Windows Start Button and selecting Log Off. If that isn't as safe, let me know.

That is just fine and is identical to what I suggested. Safe as in your mother's arms. The only slight and very rare risk that could be incurred is that during t-storm season..you're deep in lightning country (as am I). In that case I even unplug it from the main power.

Quote:
I've heard the discussions on under power. It does seem like it would use a lot of power over the course of a month.

No, that procedure is not using much power at all. I believe that what I suggested is in the area of 2-4 watts. Or, a bit more than a night light.

I think that in the 'logged off' mode it might use a few watts. I've left my computer in this mode pretty much for 3 yrs with this computer (exception being that during storms when I switch off completely). I do power down my monitor...not that it matters all that much as the display is switched off in 'sleep mode.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 01:08 pm
@parados,
Sounds good, but could you describe the steps in simply..
not being sarcastic.
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 01:15 pm
@ossobuco,
FWIW, to replacing the whole power supply with an identical generic (but functional one that fits correctly) is $38 on Ebay or $69 for Acer PS. It's 100% modular which means...it truly is like changing a light bulb.

With a 5-6 yr old computer, I could see it being worthwhile to replace the whole PS AND the switch (part of the PS).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 01:17 pm
@roger,
Back a few months ago when I had a flurry of computer horrors (after the one when I needed two new memories), including my famous complaint of cursor dancing, white space in response box skipping, mac's bells ringing, and so on - that seemingly turned out complex: the mouse (I had figured out by then the mouse might be involved) and adobe flash.

My point is, I looked at Mac site for a mouse, money!, and bought an apparently barely used one (maybe someone opened the box) from amazon.
Between the new mouse, lovely, and my shutting off adobe flash (another story of no immediate import to Roger), I got the whole thing fixed for $10.00 and postage, which was small relative to a whole new mac, which I can't possibly do.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 02:24 pm
@Ragman,
Okay, this looks good, at least on a temporary basis. The links Phoenix gave kind of suggest that the switch is more of a generic than an Acer product. If I don't hear something from Acer, I'll probably order both and see if one works. Maybe even give Radio Shack a try.

Meanwhile, I'll be quietly shopping around and finding out how much of my hoped for tax refund is going into a replacement. This gizzerblinker was bought in 2007, and likely planning to fail in some other way.