I need a switch for the computer

parados

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 02:33 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Sounds good, but could you describe the steps in simply..
not being sarcastic.

The case power switch connects to 2 pins on the motherboard.
The reset switch connects to 2 pins on the motherboard.
Connect the case reset connector to the power switch pins.
Then use the case reset switch to turn computer on/off

http://www.bearblain.com/Motherboard%20Pins.jpg
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 02:34 pm
@roger,
Yup, agreed. I typically get 5-6 yrs from my computers before the power supply or hard drive fails. Monitors I get about 4 yrs from and expect nothing more from them.

This of course, has nothing to do with wanting to replace them replacing them 'cause the newer tech is far superior. I don't change until they fail to the point of the repair costing more than $100. Typically, FWIW, I only change power supplies, hard drives..and CD/DVD. If the repair turns out to be more than that, I upgrade to the newer 'puter but not the latest...jsut the last year's model.

That isn't to say that I don't bering it in the shop for virus issues or some OS issue..once every 2 yrs on avg, but I digress.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2013 02:51 pm
@parados,
Just to clarify the switch on the front of the case is a momentary contact switch. There is also an on/off switch on the powersupply that is similar to a standard light switch.
The case switch tells the the motherboard to turn on and off based on the which state the motherboard is currently in. There is also software control of that switch that can require it be held for a certain amount of time before forcing a shutdown.

Any momentary contact switch can be wired to the pins on the motherboard. It's even possible to turn on a system by shorting the 2 pins with screwdriver. If the case switch isn't working you can use the reset switch like I said earlier but then you lose the reset button which most people rarely use. You can also buy a momentary switch from radio shack, cut off the case switch so you can wire the new switch to the wires. It isn't pretty but it will work. This is a switch from radio shack that will work. You should probably solder the wires to it.

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2160405w345.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 03:47 pm
They answered the email! Now, the bad news. . .

Quote:
Hi there,

I’m sorry; the Power switch would be part of the front bezel assembly and would need to be order in. You would have to call in and place the order with us to purchase this part.

FRONT BEZEL W/ POWER BUTTON / 4 USB PORT - 60.S610F.001 = 34.99$ plus shipping

If you do have any questions you can use this email to contact us or use the Toll free 855 444 4845.

Thank You.

That two dollar switch managed to morph into a 34.99 "front bezel" plus shipping and what looks like significant labor. Anybody want to guess what name is not going to be on my next computer?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 06:37 pm
@roger,
hope is pointless Smile Phone the bastids!
roger

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 07:13 pm
@Mame,
I tried, Mame. Really I did. Their email included a phone number, but both times I tried it, the phone dithered around and finally gave me the message "If you would like to make a phone call, please hang up and try again". Now, isn't that a bird brained recording? "If I would like to make a phone call". What do they suppose I'm trying to do with the receiver in my hand?

Anyway, I took their email to the repair shop, and sure enough, if I brought in that 39.95 front bezel, they could replace it - for not less than 60someting dollars. This crosses the $100.00 line for repair of a 6 year old computer, and who knows what else is lurking around, waiting to fail. The power supply, or perhaps a hard drive. I'm shopping around, but having bad luck avoiding HP and ACER.

Yes, I also question their legitimacy
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 07:21 pm
@roger,
There must be a teenage geek somewhere around who can help you.
roger

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2013 07:27 pm
@ehBeth,
I have had experience with a teenage car fixer. After six weeks went by without a word on the cylinder heads he was going to have rebuilt, I got his dad to track him down and return the heads.

Just because a kid has enormous confidence doesn't mean he will perform.
0 Replies