Gone On Holiday

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 04:47 pm
Ive been a Mum for 9 years and for the first time since Ive had my children, their father has taken them away for over 3 weeks. What am I going to do? Shocked I dunno, clean the house? (Ive already done that)
They havent been away from me for longer than 8 days maximum.
So what I want to know is, what would you do?!

Yeah I admit it, I need ideas...I have thought of visiting friends, but the ones I want to visit are all going away!
A good book? I read them anyway....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,761 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 05:30 pm
Learn to wallow in petty self indulgence.

Every mother in the world at some point has muttered in her heart of hearts, "If it weren't for these kids..." Every single mother has muttered similar sentiments in her heart, her lungs, her liver and her entire endocrine system.

Of course you love your kids. Of course those well-loved, absolutely adorable, flesh of your flesh and bone of your bone do cramp your life style in lots of little annoying ways.

If you don't want to cook dinner--don't. Eat ice cream instead. Or cook up a batch of something that appeals to adult tastes. Your kids aren't around to whine, "Ew, what's that?"

If you are reading a good book--or watching the late movie or going through old memories--don't go to bed On Time. Stay up late, sleep late and feel deliciously liberated by temporal restraints.
Just think, any clutter in the house will be clutter of your making.

Experiment with new ways to use time and energy. After all, at some point those children you love are going to be off in the great wide world seeking their fortunes and you'll have to learn to live without them. Time With Father gives you time to rehearse your future.

Good luck. Have fun.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:39 pm
Celticclover I used to feel that way when my daughter was away visiting her dad. Just as I would get into a routine without her she was back. So enjoy the quite, go to movies, eat out, there is a ton of stuff you can't do with kids. But forget about cleaning house - only do fun things for yourself, think of it as your Christmas present for you.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:08 pm
CC: Baby yourself, you know? A luxurious bath with candles and soft music, beauty treatment, take a walk, listen to the silence, shop, see a movie, rent movies you can't watch while the kids are around, listen to music, write, read, just enjoy being YOU!
0 Replies

angelsmom

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 07:10 pm
My response probably comes too late for this holiday, but in the future, plan ahead! Make a date with an all-day spa to indulge you in luxury. Plan a trip, if you are by yourself, call a travel agent who can get you in touch with a group outing to some exotic place filled with people traveling alone. Join some local group that caters to something that interests you. Join a health club and spend part of every day there working out and meeting people. Plan a party inviting friends over to your home...they can stay as late as you want.

This scenario has never happened to me in the 23 years I have been a parent. But if it did, this is what I would do.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:02 pm
Some great ideas here.

Welcome to A2K Angel'smom :-D
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:59 pm
celticclover ~ so how did the hiatus go?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 08:27 am
I can lend you my kids for three weeks. Believe me, I'll find a way to use the alone time!
0 Replies