The Gun Fight in Washington. Your opinons?

JTT

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:04 pm
@H2O MAN,
The meme master vomits once more.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:05 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

For the most part, poverty in the US equates to middle and upper income lifestyles in the rest of the world.

Shouldn't you be complaining about how people on welfare can afford to buy TVs, cars, cell phones and most expensive of all - GUNS?
BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:05 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Right.. because the first thing people in poverty buy is a gun.

You come up with some wild **** however an adult son or daughter living with parents for a time for example does not impacted the ability or the likelihood of owning guns.

Hell my first few guns was passed down within the family so in gun owning families buying a gun is hardly the only manner that someone become a gun owner.

Then people tend to buy what is important to them and if having guns is an important and enjoyable thing for someone to have then he or she will go without a smart phone or IPAD or whatever to own one.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:08 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Shouldn't you be complaining about how people on welfare c

You mean that adults sons and daughters living at home while going to college or doing so for a year or so after college are likely to be on welfare?
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:09 pm
@parados,
Why?

They have all that and much more.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:10 pm
Joe Biden’s gun tip of the day:

You don’t need an ‘assault weapon’ for home protection — just get yourself a double-barrel shotgun

parados

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:10 pm
@BillRM,
Read my post and the link Bill. I only used the numbers from the Census.

Yes, most adults living in a home with someone else are more likely to be in poverty (55%) if they didn't live with that person. Most of those in poverty are eligible for some form of welfare.
BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:14 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
Joe Biden’s gun tip of the day:

You don’t need an ‘assault weapon’ for home protection — just get yourself a double-barrel shotgun

I agree with him that a shotgun is a better weapon then a so call assault weapon for home defend or for killing a lot of school children for that matter.

In neither case would I go with a double barrel shotgun but a pump one.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:15 pm
@BillRM,
Maybe Dick Cheney should invite idiot Biden to go hunting sometime!
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:16 pm
@BillRM,
Mine is an 8 shot semi-auto 12 gauge Cool
http://www.athenswater.com/images/HKM1S90.JPG

If I feel the need to break out the battle rifles it will be for more than HD.
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:22 pm
@H2O MAN,
Why? Because Dick is a shining example of a responsible conservative hunter?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:27 pm
@parados,
Well someone who is not paying rent in his or her parent home might be in poverty by the standards of the census income range however the cases I known of it involved going to college with at most a part time job or trying to find a good paying job afterward and they are hardly without funds.

Nor are they are welfare in such a situation. Single college 'kids" living at home does not meet the requirements for welfare in almost all cases.

When I was going to college for the first two years I went to a local college and and live at home then for the next two years I went always to college.

Work only in the summers at a very high paying job however and thanks to my parents aid I was never short of funds and did own guns.

Not on welfare at any point.
roger

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:31 pm
@H2O MAN,
How's it working for you? Is it sensitive to different loads, or does it cycle with whatever you feed it?
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:36 pm
@roger,
Quote:
How's it working for you?

He especially likes to stroke the pistol grip.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:38 pm
@roger,

I have put countless shells through it since buying in new in 1993.
Other than it not liking light loads it has been an excellent shotgun.

... 3 inch magnum shells kick like a mule
JTT

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:43 pm
@H2O MAN,
Light loads is all you whackos are able to muster. That's why y'all are so enamored of your "grips".
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:46 pm
@BillRM,
You do realize that 55% is not all, don't you?
You also realize that the number of adult children that live at home and have guns is probably less than 10 million. The total number of adult children of all ages that live at home of parent is only about 20 million.

Let's do some simple math here.
The numbers for households with guns are all over the place from 30% to about 45%
That means of the 20 million children living at home only 30-45% of those homes would have guns at all.
So of the 20 million children living at home statistics would tell us only 9 million would live in homes with guns. (if we use the 45% household figure)
But...
1 in 10 women own guns according to one recent study.
If we assume half of those adult children are women that would mean at most 5 million of those adult children would have guns if every male in those households also owned a gun.

Quote:
Work only in the summers at a very high paying job however and thanks to my parents aid I was never short of funds and did own guns.

Gosh.. you worked a high paying job and weren't eligible for welfare... I guess your anecdote means everyone is just like you. Drunk

Just to reiterate....
Quote:
One in 10 women own a gun, the General Social Survey found.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/politics/gun-ownership-declining/index.html

Your claim that 48% of adults own guns is bullshit. Because less than 50% of households have guns and women own guns at a rate of 1 in 10 while making up 50% of the adult population.
For that to be true males would have to live in large households made up of mostly gun owning males - 90% of males would have to live in 50% of US households.
parados

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:53 pm
An interesting little factoid

Quote:
47 percent increase: The change in the number of people wounded seriously enough by gunshots to require a hospital stay from 2001 to 2011. In 2001, 20,844 people suffered gunshot wounds that serious. In 2011, it was 30,759, The Wall Street Journal reports. But the murder rate is going down? Why is that? Because hospitals have gotten better at treating traumatic wounds.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 12:59 pm
@parados,

Your factoid assumes that all people wounded seriously enough by gunshots to require a hospital stay were wounded in a murder attempt.

I bet the vast majority of the people shot and wounded were criminals shot by law abiding citizens that were protecting themselves.

The murder rate is going down because criminals are being killed and wounded by law aiding Americans and the criminals know it.

If you let freedom work, the crime rate will continue to drop in the US.
parados

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2013 01:10 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
I bet the vast majority of the people shot and wounded were criminals shot by law abiding citizens that were protecting themselves.

How much do you want to bet?