Help! I can't understand these paragraphs from a book.

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 08:09 am
"I wanted, in this last year, to close the loop with Mom and Dad. To heal the rift that formed as I explored my birthparents, something that did not diminish my love for them.
I understand now that moment will not occur. We will not talk our way to understanding. It's just not in their nature.
And as ALS reminds me each day, you can't fight nature.
Rather, I embrace the small things. Like the words of a friend who talked to Mom and Dad the day after an article about my illness and book deal appeared in the newspaper.
The friend had been mentioned, so Mom went to get him the article. She had fifteen copies of the newspaper, in a neat stack in a cabinet.
“Give this to your mother,” she said, handing him one.
Not to just anyone: to your mother.
Because your mother is the person who loves you. Who has always loved you. Who is proud of you, even if she keeps those feelings locked away in a drawer.
I took many journeys over the course of the year with the people I love. I never even considered a journey with Mom.
Rather, I traveled 3000 miles to California and found peace with the person who had been one mile away all along."

I cannot understand this part for several questions.
a. in the fourth paragraph, what does embrace mean? In the second sentence, what's a book deal. Why is it on a newspaper. Does it have anything to do with "my illness"?
b. in the fifth paragraph, why did Mom get the friend the article?
c. in the sixth paragraph, why did Mom want the friend to give a copy to his mother? For what? The content in the newspaper? What content then?

Could anyone help me answer the questions above?
Thank you very much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 767 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Justin Xu
Mame

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 08:58 am
@Justin Xu,
Justin Xu wrote:

"I wanted, in this last year, to close the loop with Mom and Dad. To heal the rift that formed as I explored my birthparents, something that did not diminish my love for them.
I understand now that moment will not occur. We will not talk our way to understanding. It's just not in their nature.
And as ALS reminds me each day, you can't fight nature.
Rather, I embrace the small things. Like the words of a friend who talked to Mom and Dad the day after an article about my illness and book deal appeared in the newspaper.
The friend had been mentioned, so Mom went to get him the article. She had fifteen copies of the newspaper, in a neat stack in a cabinet.
“Give this to your mother,” she said, handing him one.
Not to just anyone: to your mother.
Because your mother is the person who loves you. Who has always loved you. Who is proud of you, even if she keeps those feelings locked away in a drawer.
I took many journeys over the course of the year with the people I love. I never even considered a journey with Mom.
Rather, I traveled 3000 miles to California and found peace with the person who had been one mile away all along."

I cannot understand this part for several questions.
a. in the fourth paragraph, what does embrace mean? In the second sentence, what's a book deal. Why is it on a newspaper. Does it have anything to do with "my illness"?

Embrace here means to welcome, accept. A book deal is a contract with a publisher to publish the book. It was written about in a newspaper. No, it has nothing to do with the illness.

b. in the fifth paragraph, why did Mom get the friend the article? Because :The friend had been mentioned, so Mom went to get him the article."

c. in the sixth paragraph, why did Mom want the friend to give a copy to his mother? For what? The content in the newspaper? What content then?

The mother had 15 copies of the article about her son, indicating she was proud of his achievement. Because her son's friend was mentioned in the article, she wanted him to have a copy, as well as one for HIS mother, so she would be proud of him, too.

Could anyone help me answer the questions above?
Thank you very much!
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:07 am
@Justin Xu,
" embrace the small things" cherish the small things, lovingly appreciate, accept small things.

Mom is expressing her own love for the narrator by her words:"Because your mother..............away in a drawer." and by her actions: She has 15 copies of the newspaper..shows she is proud of her daughter.

0 Replies

dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:45 pm
@Justin Xu,
Quote:
a. in the fourth paragraph, what does embrace mean?
Accept, examine, enjoy, scrutinize, appreciate, etc

Quote:
In the second sentence, what's a book deal.
It's something you presumably did concerning a book. Maybe you wrote it, and the deal was its sale

Quote:
Why is it on a newspaper. Does it have anything to do with "my illness"?
Yes, supposedly the newspaper article described your illness and your book deal

Quote:
b. in the fifth paragraph, why did Mom get the friend the article?
Because the friend had been mentioned in it

Quote:
c. in the sixth paragraph, why did Mom want the friend to give a copy to his mother? For what?
Probably so Mom would be proud of her son's accomplishment, whatever that was, as described in the article

0 Replies