Native Americans and the Current face of America

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:18 am
Cutting through the smoke and fog, I consider myself identical to the Americans who fought off the Indians of the "wild west" and went on to settle this great country of ours.

I'm not a sissy or a weeper. I believe in the GOOD FIGHT and I will always fight for my rights as well as those of all others.

I'm pro-American, NO MATTER WHAT!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,312 • Replies: 82
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:23 am
Oh dear. You would have been an Indian Fighter? Fighting and stealing land from the native Americans? There could have been a different way. It was a terrible and cruel theft. That is one of the (many) ways that our government has shown itself to be without pity or mercy... bull-headed and greedy. It was an ugly moment in our time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:30 am
mmmm, it was an ugly viscious time, piffka.

I voted green-party for governer. I really liked Jill Stein.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:37 am
We are supposed to be a Democratic country here. There are no such thing as 'real' Americans. I claim my Irish heritage but we all came from the same seed if you get right down to it. We are all one.

The local Indians here got the shaft Piffka, but still fight like hell for their rights. I give them credit.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:40 am
And they've won some rights as well! I'm impressed too.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:49 am
The "real Americans" settled this country. ...All parts of this great country. They're the ones who fought the Indians while traversing across the great plains. They are also the ones who built the railroads across this country. Likewise, they settled the farms, built the steel mills and drove the cattle to the Yards for slaughter. They're also the ones who farmed the South for vegetables, etc.

Least we forget, the Brahmins were also the "real Americans" because without Eastern and Brahmin wealth where would the East coast be today?

Same seed? Please tell me how the Boston Irish and the Boston Brahmins are of the same seed. If of the same seed, then why were there so many signs, even into the 20th century, that said "Irish need not apply", in the Boston area?

How so?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:52 am
They have a long battle ahead l'lk, the Wampanoags. Not a big tribe, but a great bunch. Some of the finest people I've met here. No money behind them like the other tribes. So they still halve to battle, for everything, I think that's not right, at all. After all, they were here first.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:55 am
<nodding at mikey>
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:56 am
You ever hear of Adam and Eve New Haven?
That's what I was reffering to, sorry I wasn't clear on that. My bad.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:57 am
The twists and turns of this thread are fascinating...
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:59 am
good nod or a bad nod l'lk?

a little early to be nodding....don't ya think?

not that i'm one to talk. ;-)
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:05 am
Well, who started this thread Mapleleaf anyway?
I love the twists and turns, a good fight as well. But I always seem to lose for some damn reason.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:40 am
I cannot believe, New Haven, that anyone would be proud of the killing and stealing from the many and various tribes. I wonder too if we'll find that over-populating and over-using resources is really such a fine thing.

The settling of this country was done because of greed and the further establishment of huge apportionments of wealth, neither of which I believe to be matters for pride or honor.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:15 am
Piffka

I see you're from Washington state----how exactly was that state made safe for you and your family? Can you be sure that none of your ancestors had anything to do with taking Indian land and isn't it possible that you might live on Indian land now? If you are living on Indian land now, do your convictions carry you far enough to give it back? It's a noble sentiment you have about the Indians but I think it's extremely unfair to jump on New Haven when he was merely reflecting on the reality of settling this country. Perhaps it would be less damaging to your conscience if you took a more fatalistic approach and say that the demise of the buffaloe and the Indians was similar to the demise of the dinosours----time marches on and obliterats those who cannot adapt.

Your desire to protect the rights of the indians is noble indeed and reflects your idealistic viewpoint toward social issues but it sounds like you want New Haven to apologize just like Trent Lott has been doing for the past week.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:23 am
perception - why is it that people still don't understand that not all of the native tribes were hostile? I believe that the vast majority of the tribes were quite peaceable. And, if seattle was their territory, we would or wouldn't be allowed to live on it. Why is that so hard to understand?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:25 am
perception wrote:
Piffka
Perhaps it would be less damaging to your conscience if you took a more fatalistic approach and say that the demise of the buffaloe and the Indians was similar to the demise of the dinosours----time marches on and obliterats those who cannot adapt.

Oops, American Indians compared to animals?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:34 am
Lewis and Clark would never have made it across the Northwest without the assistance of friendly tribes. The tribes on the West Coast were not warlike and I agree, WH -- the comparison of human beings to dinosaurs and buffalo is telling.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:35 am
One of the larger groups of Indians, the Cherokee, tried to adopt the European American style of living. They were rewarded by being pushed ever further away from their original home land and deprived of compensation for their loss.
Oklahoma was at last to be exclusively Indian Territory. Yeah - Right.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:38 am
The iroquois Nation was a group of different tribes in canada/USA east of the great lakes. Their type of government was what helped our founding fathers define OUR democracy.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:40 am
Oh-Oh----I think I hear an avalanche---a little controversy is not a bad thing as you pointed out Timber.

Littlek
I think you're implication is that anyone living on Indian land in Seattle would pay rent to the indians. I see you're from Boston--do you pay rent to the local Indians there----you see every square inch of America could be considered stolen from the Indians.

Walter
Last time I looked we are all considered mammals---I think it would be correct to say that some humanoids adapt better than others
0 Replies