Charities

gollum

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 04:11 pm
How do I find the salary of a head of a charity and that of his family members?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,700 • Replies: 13
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 05:26 pm
@gollum,
Send to that charity a written request for the information.
roger

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 05:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm pretty sure they have to furnish this information on officers. Family members not employed by the charity? I'm sure they are not.
gollum

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 05:41 pm
@roger,
A charity that employs Mr. X as president and family member(s) of his in other capacity(ies).
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 09:23 pm
In the US you can go to a number of web sites that lists all charities and find the Form 990 that they would have to file with the IRS. The salaries of all paid staff must be paid.

More information is needed on your part.

gollum

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 04:50 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you. I am interested in the charity, The Doe Fund, Inc., which operates in New York.

I went to the Guidestar website for information on Doe Fund. But Guidestar doesn't give that information out without a paid subscription.

I went to the Internal Revenue Service website looking for Doe Fund's Form 990 filing. However, I could not find Form 990 filings.
JPB

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 05:16 am
@gollum,
The charity's own website oftentimes has a link to their Form 990. It won't be obvious but if they have a search window for within their web site you can search for their Form 990 there.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 09:20 am
I said: The salaries of all paid staff must be paid.

I meant: the salaries of all paid staff must be stated (on the form)

You might want to request an annual report from this agency. Perhaps you can get your info from there.
JPB

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:38 pm
@PUNKEY,
@all, not Punkey

I checked this particular charity's website and found the annual report. Total salaries and benefits are given but not to the detail found on the Form 990 for individual officers and key employees. Nor is their 990 available online. You can request a copy from the company or see if you can find anything on one of the many charity monitoring sites.
roger

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 12:45 pm
@JPB,
They fixed it. Reply to all is again available.
gollum

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 02:57 pm
@JPB,
Thank you.

I thought the Form 990 was supposed to be available on the IRS's website, but I can not find the relevant section of the IRS website.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 03:03 pm
@roger,
I know. I inadvertently replied to Punkey and then edited.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 03:13 pm
Found another avenue for you to try...
Quote:
Where can I find an organization’s Form 990 or 990-PF?
A:
According to IRS disclosure regulations, exempt organizations must make its three most recently filed annual 990 or 990-PF returns and all related supporting documents available for public inspection. This public disclosure rule also applies to Form 1023, which is filed to obtain exempt status.

Below are some ways you can get an organization’s tax filings. Please note that there can be a 12-18 month lag period between the end of an organization's fiscal year and the point when its IRS return is available to the public:

The Foundation Center collects 990s, with a focus on grantmaking organizations. You can access these forms for the last 3-5 years with 990 Finder and Foundation Finder, our free online tools, searchable by name, location, or EIN.

Foundation Directory Online, our subscription database of detailed funder profiles, also links to 990s. This database is available by subscription, or for free at our libraries and Cooperating Collections.

Web sites listed below provide free search tools to access 990s.
Check the Web sites of the Secretary of State or Attorney General in the state where the organization is incorporated. Some states may make 990s and other public documents available online or upon individual request. The National Association of State Charity Officials (NASCO) provides a listing of state charity offices.

Request them from the organization directly. Requests made in person must be fulfilled immediately, or within 30 days for a written request, with no charge other than a reasonable fee to cover photocopying and mailing expenses. Also, check their Web site for posted copies.

Request them from the IRS. The IRS generally takes 4-6 weeks to respond, and it may bill you for copying costs.

http://www.grantspace.org/Tools/Knowledge-Base/Funding-Research/Forms-990-and-990-PF/Finding-990-990-PFs

I did a quick check using the tool on this site and it wasn't part of their tracking but there are some other links within this page that might get you there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 03:15 pm
Here you go
http://www.eri-nonprofit-salaries.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=NPO.Summary&EIN=133412540&Cobrandid=0
0 Replies