So, can the american heart association make calls to your home phone?

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:34 pm
I'm on the regular do not call lists. Do they have a pass?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,617 • Replies: 13
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes. Nonprofits have a pass.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:41 pm
@JPB,
Ah. Thank you.
Grinds teeth.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I believe I've heard that the Do Not Call list is so full of useless loopholes... one is an exemption given to nonprofits which the AHA falls under. I'm sure I've heard this on one of the NPR podcasts I fanatically listen to... sometime in the past year.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:46 pm
Besides, around here, they don't ask for a donation, they ask that you do fundraising for them. (distribute envelopes in your neighborhood)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 08:46 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Yes. Nonprofits have a pass.

We have the same thing in Canada. Charities are allowed to call, but you can ask them to take you off their call list.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:47 pm
@Reyn,
I did in so many words.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 09:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Really, I did all that nicey stuff for years. I've dealt less, recently, with pleading purveyors than I have with collection companies chasing people with my last name. It is all invasive.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:13 am
The really infuriating thing is, I've gotten calls from political campaigns at around election time. They're not non-profits, so how do they get away with that? Simple. They don't tout their candidate; they call to offer you a ride to the polls. That, apprently, makes it a public service call, not a sales call.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:21 am
@Merry Andrew,
Straight up political calls have a pass. Mine usually show on caller ID as "Political Call".

Watch this, though, if you ever bought anything from anybody in the past, even business can call.
JPB

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:58 am
@roger,
Bank of America calls me daily. Even after I've asked them not too. I wasn't a willing BoA customer. They bought out my old bank and now they get to pepper me with "offers". Drives me nuts!
djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:07 am
in canada non-profits, political parties and any business you've had previous dealings with are exempt

in a bizarre turn events, the government made available online (for a fee) the list of people who were on the no call list, so that businesses would no who not to call, interestingly foreign call centers were purchasing the lists and getting thousands of phone numbers to add to their phone books, canadian companies are subject to heavy fines if they are caught abusing the list, but non canadian companies are under no such penalty
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 09:53 am
I simply ignore all incoming that I do not know recognize the phone number or id.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:40 am
@JPB,
Same here.
0 Replies