Familiar with Charities – Sponsorships/Grants?

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 09:44 am
I have some friends who are running a small orphanage in Haiti. They live here in the US, but are originally from Haiti. They have done a fantastic job so far especially with the limited funds and resources. So far many local people have gotten involved, providing time (visiting the orphanage and physically building stuff like a sewage system; providing chickens for them to raise) and money.

We went to a Christmas fund raiser last night. They mentioned they were unfamiliar with getting sponsorships or how to get grants and would like some help on this. I personally have no clue, but knowing how smart and informed our community is here, thought I’d reach out to you all.

Anyone know how I can provide help in this way?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,633 • Replies: 8
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 02:42 pm
If this is them, personally, and they are raising funds for this orphanage . . . To accept charitable donations, they should get an EIN number, incorporate and then apply for a 501-c3 designation from the IRS.

If this is under another agency, the orphanage, or a church-sanctioned project, they should operate under that agency or church. That agency should provide all the "credientials" needed to solicit for the orphanage. (which I doubt they have in Haiti, but who knows?)

Best for them to set themselves up as a US - IRS approved non-profit group whose mission is to support this orphanage.

You can do the EIN on line.
File incorporation papers with the IRS.
Register as a non profit with the state they live in.
The 501c-3 application form can be found on-line. Since 9/11 the IRS has more rules about relatives forming non profits and sending funds to foreign lands. Your friends will need about 5 - 6 other people (non relatives) to be officers of the corporation.

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:21 pm
@PUNKEY,
They have everything set up - it is more that they are trying additional avenues to raise money.

they actually have a church (they developed) on the property. They have officers, etc. There are a few churches locally that are helping them and these churches have been sending people there to help out on projects.

They were just mentioning if anyone was familar with how to obtain grants or other sponsorships beyond the small groups helping them now. Currently it has been word of mouth via churches, schools, family and friends.
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:26 pm
@Linkat,
If you just Google "grants" a lot comes up.

It's easiest to be specific -- like "grants disaster relief," whatever applies best.

But for example this was the first result when I Googled "grants":

http://www.grants.gov/

When I plugged "Haiti" in that, I got this one (among others):

http://www.grants.gov/search/search.do;jsessionid=pyLVTd2fGKylVvcTy1h5fyRD3gDPfqQ2vysvJqGZKfLlK1vGG3FG!1368593367?oppId=130754&mode=VIEW

If that link doesn't work, a copy and paste:

Quote:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Description

The purpose of this FOA is to provide technical assistance and support to Haiti’s Ministry of Health (Ministère de la Santé Publique et de la Population MSPP) in its post-earthquake and post-cholera response for the implementation of surveillance surveys and evaluation projects for public health decision making. This FOA will also allow technical assistance and research activities and evaluations to respond to other diseases that may occur during the project period.

Non-profits are eligible (but not just non-profits, lots of others too).

Grant amounts range from $100,000 (bottom) to $1,000,000 (top).
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:29 pm
@sozobe,
This might be more their speed:

Quote:
Description

The United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID), and World Vision (collectively referred to as the “Founding Partners”) are seeking game-changing innovations with the potential to dramatically improve reading skills and low literacy rates among primary grade children. Through a multi-year initiative called All Children Reading: A Grand Challenge for Development (ACR), the Founding Partners will collaborate to achieve the goal of global action to improve child literacy.

http://www.grants.gov/search/search.do;jsessionid=pyLVTd2fGKylVvcTy1h5fyRD3gDPfqQ2vysvJqGZKfLlK1vGG3FG!1368593367?oppId=131376&mode=VIEW

$300,000 limit on that one.

Anyway it's a good resource, and fairly easy to search.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:29 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks - I initially did not do a google search as I thought I'd come up with alot of garbage. Maybe I will give it a go then.
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:31 pm
@Linkat,
This looks about perfect:

http://maps.foundationcenter.org/haiti/welcome.php
sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 03:45 pm
@sozobe,
Actually I don't see a way to apply, there, so it's less perfect than I thought but still useful.

This looks good too:

http://www.grantspace.org/Tools/Knowledge-Base/Funding-Resources/General

Anyway you get the gist, I'm sure you can Google as well as I can. Finding grant sources is not really that hard, especially if you have a specific focus.

The fact that they have some success stories under their belt is a big positive. They can talk about what they've accomplished, which is a great way to win a grant. (Grant sources want to give money to people they believe can do good things with it. Good ideas are nice, proven success is much better.)
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2011 05:09 pm
@sozobe,
thanks a huge help - now if I can find the time....I'd really like to help them out, they are doing great things for these kids.
0 Replies