Should 14-year-olds vote?

au1929

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:19 am
Should 14-year-olds vote? OK, how about a quarter of a vote?

http://csmonitor.com/2004/0312/p01s03-uspo.html

From the land of make believe comes this proposal. What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,061 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:28 am
No. There's enough people already who can vote and haven't got a clue what, why or even who they're voting for. Teach them about politics, sure, but don't let them vote 'till they have half a chance of understanding why. And I'll be ashamed of my country if Blair let's 16 y/o's vote. Idiot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:42 am
When I was that age -- younger, actually -- I actively campaigned to allow kids to vote. Felt very strongly about it.

From this side of 21, though, I shudder at the idea.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:43 am
Definately not! Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:51 am
Well, 16 is really early enough.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:54 am
I have three grandsons two based on that proposal would be eligible to vote. Music, the opposite sex, sports and who knows what is on their mind. However, whatever it is it is not politics. I would imagine if a rock star were running for office they would get a bulk of the votes. The plank could be a free concert in every town. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:06 am
Nope. No. Don't think so.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:21 am
This is such a ridiculous concept. My first thought was that this was Arnold's new angle in his bid for the white house but most 14 year olds don't know who Arnold, the movie action hero, is.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:32 am
Have any of you ever been a parent to, or have known any 14 year olds? I think that if you have, the answer is painfully obvious! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:37 am
Right. No way! It's a ridiculous concept.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 11:46 am
suzy wrote:
Right. No way! It's a ridiculous concept.
However, lowering the voting age to e.g. 16 wasn't ridiculous at all, at least here in Germany:
the State of Lower Saxony lowered its voting age to sixteen in local elections eight years ago, in results from the capital city of Hanover, sixteen and seventeen year olds turned out at a higher rate (56.5%) than did 18-24 year olds (49%).

(Now, 16 is generally the voting age ar local/regional elections in [nearly] all German states.)

I think, lowering the age does strengthen the interest in politics for juniviles.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 12:14 pm
I strongly believed, I should have had the right to vote at that age. We studied politics and were encouraged to be involved and very aware of the issues. I think many younger kids are very capable of making good decisions. However, like Soz, I shudder at the possibilities, like ya know. Mind you, I meet tons of people and I feel the same way about a lot of them as well.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 02:06 pm
You can call me as being very negative, but I'm 17 and when I look at the 14-year olds at my school...better not. Example: 14 year old girl - wanted to be in a discussion group - had no clue what mercy killing was (at that time a topic that was heavily discussed by the Dutch government). I'm afraid they will vote not on the ideas of the politicians but on their faces, and that is not the purpose of lowering the voting age.
0 Replies

Sweet Little Girl

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:31 pm
Re: Should 14-year-olds vote?
As a 14 year old student i feel that 14 year olds should have the right to vote. I think they should express there feeling by voting kids should have a say in what gose on because we should count to..... its not long before we go out in the world and know we should have a say in what gose on..... thats why i think 14 year olds should vote.....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 02:13 pm
teaching 18-22 years old i shudder at the idea that they can vote! no, seriously, while i think 14 is still way too young, i can see arguments made for allowing 16 year olds to vote. many high schoolers are interested, motivated, and know more about who is who then many adults who actually vote.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:11 pm
Yes, 14 year olds should vote: for their class president, for homecoming king & queen, for representatives of the youth's interests in the neighborhood or the sporting associations and clubs. All this, as a way of getting to know the importance of it all.
Citizenship comes with obligations. Should a 14 year old felon be treated like a criminal? Should a 14 year old choose between school and work? Should a 14 year old join the army?

In Mexico, minors "vote" during general elections, but not electing representatives, but answering all sorts of questions in a consultation process. Specially the younger ones are eager to do something similar to the grown-up thing.

This were the results in 2003: Children and Youth Survey 2003 (in English)

The idea is not new. There's a 1968 film in which a US Presidential candidate has the motto "Fourteen or Fight!". Actually, it's quite a dumb anti-youth film, IMHO.

Wild In The Streets
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:30 pm
I am with Fbaezer.

14 is way too young.

The voting age here is 18.

I would lower it from that only if the government reintroduced compulsory draft legislation again - like it did during Vietnam - for 17 year olds.

If you are likely to be forced into the army, then I think you ought to get to have a say in what government you have.

Fbaezer said:

In Mexico, minors "vote" during general elections, but not electing representatives, but answering all sorts of questions in a consultation process. Specially the younger ones are eager to do something similar to the grown-up thing.

That is a fascinating concept, Fbaezer - I wonder if we could get it off the ground here...
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:33 pm
Welcome to A2K, Sweet_Little_Girl. There are lots of people here who can teach anyone alot about anything! I've never stopped learning since I joined. Hopefully you'll stick around and join in the fun!

As for voting for 14 year olds, I still don't think it's a good idea. My school ran a mock election when the General Election was in Britain in (I think 1992). We can candidates for all major parties (and the minor ones), debates, posters, badges, and the final ballot - the whole works. It was a really good way of learning politics. As a matter of interest, the mock election was won by the Liberal Democrats (Britain's 3rd major party), mainly because the candidate was a tall cool guy that the girls fancied! So much like real life then...!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:34 pm
Yep about rights coming with responsabilities, and American 18 year olds damn sure should have the right to buy and drink alcohol.

Mock presidential elections in high schools are common on Mexico. They are done before election day and the press often reports the results.
On 2000, at my boy's school, the Social Democrats came out first, the conservative (and winner to be) Fox was second, the populist was third and the (incumbent party) PRI candidate was last. On the general election the Social Democrats got only 2%.
Kids at that school were smarter than adults.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 04:45 pm
14, no.

16, yeah
0 Replies