Does "Peer to be replaced by Lord Hill" mean "(he will) be replaced by Lord Hill"?

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 08:17 am

Context:

Lord Strathclyde resigns as leader of House of Lords
Peer to be replaced by Lord Hill after telling David Cameron he wants to return to career in private sector

More:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jan/07/lord-strathclyde-resigns-leader-lords

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 10:16 am
@oristarA,
Yes, it means Lord Stratchclyde will be replace by Lord Hill. I'll leave it to one more knowledgable to explain British peerage and how it is used as a title in the House of Lords.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:14 pm
It is common in newspaper headlines to omit stuff. The readers all get this.

Manchester is to get a new airport and rail station
That City is to receive a massive transport investment

It is understood by readers that "City" is equivalent to "The city" or "That city", and that "to receive"
roger

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:17 pm
@contrex,
And if they capitalize City, they may be referring to a section of London, right?
contrex

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2013 12:24 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

And if they capitalize City, they may be referring to a section of London, right?

They wouldn't capitalise "City" if it was preceded by "That". I debated with myself about whether to capitalise 'City' in my bi-coloured example. Much meaning is supplied by context, and in a subheading below a headline mentioning Manchester, it would be clearly understood that the capital C does not refer to the City Of London.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 12:23 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

It is common in newspaper headlines to omit stuff. The readers all get this.

Manchester is to get a new airport and rail station
That City is to receive a massive transport investment

It is understood by readers that "City" is equivalent to "The city" or "That city", and that "to receive"

Excellent!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2013 02:33 am
@roger,
That's something else Roger. What is known as the City of London or the square mile is the financial district, all the banks and stock exchanges etc. It's a small part of the actual city itself.

Quote:
The City of London is an area of London. In the medieval period it constituted most of London, but the conurbation has grown far beyond it. As the City's boundaries have remained almost unchanged since the Middle Ages, it is now only a tiny part of the metropolis, though it remains a notable part of central London, holds city status in its own right, and is a separate ceremonial county.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London
0 Replies