fresco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:54 am
@ktbrown47,
Quote:
Jesus did not commit suicide

Any trouble-maker entering occupied Jerusalem during Passover, the "freedom from oppression" festival, knew exactly what to expect from the Romans on high alert.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 05:40 am
The notion of the "Romans" being on high alert is pretty hilarious. The entire crucifixion story is very likely made from whole cloth. Pontius Pilate didn't have the authority to try or execute anyone, and he didn't have any Roman troops. To try anyone for a capital offense, he'd have been obliged to send them off to the Legate of Syria. He commanded, at the most, four or five cohorts of auxiliary troops. That means he didn't command more than 3000 troops, if he even had that many, and it means that his troops were locally recruited, and not "regular army" at all. From the account of Flavius Josephus, he was pretty nasty about local religious sentiments--he is charged with actively interferring with the religious ceremonies of the Samaritans. The notion that he would be bullied by Ciaphus is pretty stupid, too. The high priest was selected by him from a short list provided by the priests of the temple. It's more than a little silly to suggest that Ciaphus could have bullied him into executing anyone--a power he did not possess.
fresco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 01:09 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Page 36
The Roman conquerors of Israel were very much aware of the Jewish thirst for
freedom and were especially alert during the Passover pilgrimage. ...

Understanding Jewish Holidays and Customs: Historical and Contemporary By Sol Scharfstein

Quote:
Some of the biggest political problems in first-century Israel were violent uprisings backed by messianic claims (at least eleven occasions from AD 6-140). The chief priests and the Roman governor had to quell these movements quickly to avoid civil disorder or open war (see John 11:47-53). On one occasion, Pilate sent cavalry to attack a Samaritan messiah-figure and his followers who were trying to dig up their lost temple artifacts. This event proves that the Roman government would use force to deal with religious beliefs.

The Roman government in Judea was on alert every Passover because of political and religious tensions - after all, Passover celebrated God’s rescue of Israel from Gentile oppressors. Every Passover, the Roman governor left the Roman regional capital in Caesarea Maritima and brought a cohort of soldiers to Jerusalem to deal with potential problems.

http://eutychusnerd.blogspot.com/2009/04/roman-soldiers-at-tomb.html
JPLosman0711

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 01:43 pm
"Can God commit suicide?"

Who's asking this question?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 02:06 pm
@fresco,
Sure, a cohort--500 troops, all auxiliaries, none of them regular legionaries. I see you side-step completely the fact that Pilate, a Prefect, had no authority to try or execute anyone. The bible story is a fabrication, and your source is a christian blog of dubious authority at best.
fresco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:19 pm
@Setanta,
Wake up ! You appear not to have read my earlier post trying to stir up the theists by suggesting their "God incarnate" committed suicide.

There is indeed little historical evidence for a specific Jesus crucifiction account, but plenty of evidence for the annual Passover "state of alert" which you superciliously dismissed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:38 pm
@fresco,
That would depend on who created god.
fresco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You've lost me there ! Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 04:43 pm
@fresco,
That's really funny! The Torah, the bible of the Jews, is filled with errors and omissions. "God's rescue of Israel" is a creation of some Jew who had the ability to write with great imagination.

When anybody identifies a personage, like god, he must first prove his existence. You can't assume any god exists just because some writer puts it down on paper.

Fallacy from the first part automatically voids the second part.
fresco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 05:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As an atheist I look at it this way.

Either I ignore the question as meaningless because the word "God" is meaningless, or I decide to have a little fun with the Christian concept of "God" by suggesting to them that "He" committed suicide. Such a game requires no ontological argument on my part. The onus is on them to juggle with their idea of an existential relationship between "God" and "Jesus" and to explain how the combination of these "prophetic" entities failed to have engineered the alleged crucifiction.
tenderfoot

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:05 pm
Been thinking -- (as I can sometimes ) The second you are conceived you have a God inserted into you mind as you grow up you decide which one . If you commit suicide you murder your God, if you die by any other means your God murdered you.... Or ????????
0 Replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:08 pm
@fresco,
If you were really an atheist why even bother with it?
north

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 06:47 pm
@Randall Patrick,
Randall Patrick wrote:

Quote:
If God is said to be omnipotent then, by definiton, there is nothing He cannot do.

there is something this god cannot do , put life on the moon

Quote:
So, He must be fully capable of committing suicide, right?

If there be a God and He does, I wonder if we go with Him?

RP

NOT being able to put life on the moon , is a suicide , to the omni-potence of god

obviously
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 09:47 pm
@north,
Like if being Omnipotent would imply God to be greater then itself...
"GOD" its not free given he/it is Everything...

It cannot go against itself´s perfect "decision"...(which by the way its a priori decided...) given everythingness order...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2010 10:02 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Read Sam Harris. Atheists may have a social duty to stand up and be counted.

http://www.samharris.org/
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:30 pm
@fresco,
I got your supercilious, clown. How about if you provide some of that "plenty of evidence" for that annual Passover state of alert. Jerusalem was not garrisoned, and it was marginalized by the road from southern Syria passing north of that city on the way to Caesarea Maritima. Unless and until you provide the evidence you allege, i will continue to view the province of Iudaea from the perspective of the history which i have read, as opposed to some self-serving crapola in a christian blog.

I don't care what silly exercise you're engaged in--if you post bullshit, i'm going to point out that it stinks.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 02:39 pm
@Setanta,
I don´t give a damn about Christianity, but I got to point out that the stinking approach falls on your side...your attitude closely resembles the fanaticism you so eagerly pretend to fight...
Clearly your presence is an embarrassment to this forum you vulgar pretentious idiot...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:39 pm
@Setanta,
Nurse ! I think he's missed his medication again !
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2010 06:47 pm
@fresco,
The son, god, and holy ghost - as one and the same. Suicide by god to forgive the sins of humanity has got to be the most stupid sacrifice; he lives again!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2010 02:44 am
Nice response, Fresco . . . worthy of the evidence you have provided for your position. You and your buddy Fil there should have lots of fun playing together.