What are my chances at being reinstated?

Wed 2 Jan, 2013 11:32 pm
I had received a letter about my dismissal from the University of ----- Crosse. I was very devastated when I was informed about my dismissal, but I understand the circumstances under which the decision was made. I am writing to appeal my academic dismissal from the -----.
I sincerely admit, I had a difficult time last semester and my grades suffered as a result. I do not mean to make excuses for my poor academic performances, but I would like to explain the circumstances. I was confident that I would do well and I still think I could have. Unfortunately, my father was diagnosed with an overly damaged eardrum that could lead to cancer. Surgery was needed, but my father had decline as he believe herbal medicine would work. I tried ways to explain the benefits of the surgery to convince him but I failed every time. In addition, I drive home everyday to help out with the household duties and care for my six siblings. Since my parents work until midnight, I am placed with the responsibility of babysitting and paying the bills. Even when I am in school, I was very distracted with my dad’s situations. As a result, I was not able to focus on my school work. I understand now that I should have communicate with my parents and most important of all, my professors. I thought I could handle my work schedule, billing schedule, and school schedule but I was wrong, I failed completely at time management and my responsibility as a student. I was wrong.

I love the ------, and it would means so much for me to graduate with a degree from this school. If I am reinstated, I will focus more on my academics instead of household duties and work. My parents are aware of my academic dismissal and they will hire a babysitter and my mother is switching from second to first shift to support me. My employer also accepted my change of availability to weekends only as well. From now on, I will communicate better, work harder, and meet with my professors and advisor regularly to ensure my success. I will also take advantage of the tutor sessions as well.

I intend to pursue biology major and apply for Pharmacy school. Ever since I was 10, watching my siblings sick, and my parents who does not understand or read English struggles, was frustrating. I wanted to be of help so I sought to gain knowledge of medicine. I want to help people know more about medicine, even those that do not understand or read English. With that in mind, I intend to pursue a minor in Spanish. Please understand that my low GPA does not indicate that I am a bad student, I am a good student who had a bad semester. I take full responsibility for my failure and I would like a second chance to fix my academic situation. I will not disappoint you. Thank you so much for considering this appeal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,756 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed

nothingtodo

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 01:21 am
@mio050993,
Slight in my opinion.

Although you are clearly serious and do try, you have definitely got some kind of focus issue and family problems appear they will interfere again, in a perfect world you would be given the chance to strive, you may be given that chance still, do not quote me. However, the world is full to the brim with applicants and low on positions, so I think other alternatives are probably important for you to ponder right now... I mean, are there other avenues? avenues to which your current understanding could be quickly raised?.

If you have the opportunity to study and earn qualifications from home, for example, perhaps you can gain the exact skill set you intended and restart?.. Restart exactly where you left off with the exact same subjects, but better grades.

I am not everyone however and I think perhaps it depends on your particular academy.

In your favor, clearly, is that your family and work have changed for you, I would not expect such hard things as 'dismissal' to change on that, in this world, but I suppose it is variable on places, after university career availability, and ultimately the staff reading your appeal.

Your positioning of your fathers issue first, implies you have not thought about impact, you have pleaded to emotion, not logic. This tactic might work in a 'job', but is unlikely to be as positive in effect, in the world of comprehension of factors.

Again in your favor, is the fact of your ethnic issues RE: language, this might swing it back around, I imagine those who know you might step in and state their views on your value, separate from the hardship of language comprehension. (if I am correct about that).

Good luck.
nothingtodo

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 01:39 am
@mio050993,
This world really bites ass, when it comes to 'who you know' and 'who knows you'.. It is one of my pet peeves.

For your reference, what I would have done, is taken any evidence of the factors you have to a lawyer and had him write your appeal.. If external factors were truly the issue.

The reason the language comprehension issues work in your favor is because learning a language whilst using another and teaching others at the same time every five minutes is very hard work. Most expect your intelligence is low because you are not the same as them, some of us 'see you'.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

mio050993

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 02:11 am
@nothingtodo,
Thank You!!!! I appreciate your effort in answering my question.
nothingtodo

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 02:21 am
@mio050993,
Best new year wishes,
may the future present you many gifts of clarity and peace.
0 Replies

jespah

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:08 am
@mio050993,
Don't tell us, tell the school.

But they have heard tales of woe before. Add in a part about how you want to switch to part-time. Otherwise, this is going to happen again, and you'll be appealing again in a year.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 08:36 am
@mio050993,
You do realize that this letter of appeal can't help you in any way as we're not involved in any way with your school.

Also, several aspects in your letter is suspect. Since we don't know which school or which country (definitely not the US would be my guess), I'm suspicious about your claim of bad grades for only one semester dismissal. Here in the US, colleges and Universities would likely have placed you on academic probation. I believe that you're bad grades went far longer then a single semester.

Quote:
Students are given a probationary period -- often a semester -- to demonstrate that they can indeed make successful academic progress. Students may need to increase their GPA by a certain amount, pass all of their classes, or meet other requirements, as determined by their school.

http://collegelife.about.com/od/academiclife/g/Academic-Probation.htm

As for your excuse that your father was medically debilitated due to "my father was diagnosed with an overly damaged eardrum that could lead to cancer." This sounds highly suspect. I don't believe that's how cancer works unless you mean your father damaged his eardrum by having a uranium rod accidentally shoved into his ear which burst his eardrum and the possible cancer would come from the radiation poisoning from the radioactive rod.

Regardless of this excuse, you need to send this letter (hand delivered) to your school's appropriate academic dean or equivalent committee which overseas academic dismissals. Remember you need to be honest with them and yourself (but most importantly them). Remember that they have your school records and I believe that they're not going to fall for your one semester/bad grades fall.

Does this school have a housing program? If you do get reinstated try and get into the housing program as your family is too much of an extra burden for you to handle along side your school load.
mio050993

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 02:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
It was my first semester. I was a freshman at the school and then i received a letter that I have been dismiss!
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 02:56 pm
Start the new semester at another school. Get done with those "core" classes, then transfer to the school of your choice. You will have worked up a successful history and will probably not have to beg to get back in.
mio050993

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 06:45 pm
@PUNKEY,
I'm suppose to wait a whole year and then start school again!!!! I can't do it so I will take my chance begging....at least im doing something than waiting for next year to start
roger

Thu 3 Jan, 2013 07:18 pm
@mio050993,
Begging has the virtue of being cheap; Punkey's suggestion offers a possibility of working. You will have to decide.
mio050993

Fri 4 Jan, 2013 10:23 pm
@roger,
it is very difficult!!!!
0 Replies