Are you real

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 02:04 pm
Maybe I'm herewith leaving myself wide open……..

…by the username as my sons have warned me repeatedly, suggesting that they might be attacked indirectly by the fanatic of evil intent who uses it to learn of their identity

…and besides they're sometimes embarrassed by my candor (for which I herewith apologize to all and sundry)

However at my advanced age after 17 years of perpetration we've experienced no such. Furthermore, I note many usernames hereabout, apparently all genuine abbrs of a realname, that surely can't all be phony

(….my advisors assuring me it's only the coming way of the Bot to make a username seem more authentic)

I'd ask all who aren't, to respond; but how would I know how many qualify and whether the move has had repercussion
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,291 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed

djjd62

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 02:10 pm
yes, my real name is dj jd62, i'm related to the Cape Cod jd62's
Frank Apisa

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 02:40 pm
@dalehileman,
My real name is Frank Apisa...I live in Piscataway NJ.

Many of the things I discuss here on the Internet, I discuss in letters-to-editors or Op Ed essays over the last 30 years. I do not pull punches in any of those pieces. The newspapers and magazines all require that I furnish my name and hometown--and they publish that with my letters or essays.

So I do not understand the "username" stuff that goes on here in the forums.

But if you feel safer...or if you feel you can express yourself more forthrightly by not using your real name, Dale...go with that.
dalehileman

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 02:42 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
the Cape Cod jd62's
Ah yes Dj I had lost track of the Clan Jd. Please convey my regards to Jddj62 jr as well as his two new sons D Jddj63 and 64
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 03:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
My real name is Frank Apisa...I live in Piscataway NJ.
Thank you Frank, I had hoped you're real

Quote:
Many of the things I discuss here on the Internet, I discuss in letters-to-editors or Op Ed essays over the last 30 years.
In a remarkable parallel my realname is indeed Dale Hileman (God help me) and I have also contributed Letters to the Editor--for some 60 years-- decades ago to the LA Times; and more recently accepted about 130 instances--over the past 16 years--in our excellent and award-winning Fourth Estate, the Victorville, Ca Daily Press or Press Dispatch depending for tax reasons on the day of the week

Quote:
I do not pull punches in any of those pieces.
I don't either and perhaps that's why 130 frenzied epistles represent only about ten percent of all those I've submitted locally. We live in a somewhat conservative community while, in social matters at least, I'm a raging lib. So I guess I might have stepped over the line in one or two such cases if not 1200

Quote:
The newspapers and magazines all require that I furnish my name and hometown--and they publish that with my letters or essays.
Yes but of course the Internet Forum is a different sort of animal, perhaps reaching potentially far more fanatics (left and right both). My sons plead with me to get a new username

…..causing me to wonder whether some dark hour dozens of garishly-detailed 4x4's and pickups won't converge on our surburban home, horns blaring, shouting right-wing slogans, and carrying shotguns

Quote:
So I do not understand the "username" stuff that goes on here in the forums.
Oh, I do. Various reasons include a feeling of exasperation, enmity, and powerlessness pervading their everyday lives, having found a means to vent it anonymously at the keyboard

Quote:
But if you feel safer...or if you feel you can express yourself more forthrightly by not using your real name, Dale...go with that.
Thank you Frank for the permission but amongst my contribs it would be hard to find an example less forthright than this

…….with my thanks to its Opinion Ed. Steve Williams (sometimes wondering which of us will go first). My lifelong ambition is to one day within the next five years to make his essay or COMMENTARY OpEd

……my nephrologist assuring me--oh by the way, that's how long you've left
Frank Apisa

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 03:54 pm
@dalehileman,
I sympathize with you on this, Dale.

I have several tapes (from when voice messages were kept on tapes) of people threatening me for some of the stuff I've written.

Whatta ya gonna do...there are nuts everywhere, and if one wants to kick the **** out of me (or worse) there is not much I can do except hold my tongue.

That I ain't going to do.

But another side of this whole thing is that I have people who disagreed with me (in writing or by phone) who have become close friends. We recognize that we see things very differently, but are able to put that stuff aside and interact civilly.

World is a mess right now. Best thing to do (it appears to me) is to have your say...and be forthright about it. If you (universal "you") allow fear to quiet your voice, not only will you be the worse for it...so will society.
dalehileman

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 04:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I sympathize with you on this, Dale.
It's heartwarming to know there are at least two of us

Quote:
I have several tapes (from when voice messages were kept on tapes) of people threatening me for some of the stuff I've written.
I haven't been threatened directly but a few of my Letters have fomented some pretty huffy replies

Quote:
Whatta ya gonna do...there are nuts everywhere,
Yes and it seems many are concentrated here. Reason: Our Admin is very liberal indeed. From a number of other forums I myself have been banned for life after submissions I considered quite tame whereas here it seems anything goes (except advertising)

Quote:
and if one wants to kick the **** out of me (or worse) there is not much I can do except hold my tongue.
I'm sure my two excellent sons anticipate for me an end much worse than that entailing the backwoodsmen above

Quote:
That I ain't going to do.
Good for you

And thanks to your engagement Frank, this has been one of the most fun threads in which I've participated anywhere

Quote:
But another side of this whole thing is that I have people who disagreed with me (in writing or by phone) who have become close friends.
I should be so lucky, unless I might also share that distinction

Quote:
We recognize that we see things very differently, but are able to put that stuff aside and interact civilly.
I try but at intervals I've given in when the temptation becomes irresistible

…..they so oft leave themselves so wide open

Quote:
World is a mess right now.
Yes and the rest of the world doesn't seem to realize why. But that's a subject for still another thread

Quote:
Best thing to do (it appears to me) is to have your say...and be forthright about it.
Yet listening for the 4x4's

Quote:
If you (universal "you") allow fear to quiet your voice, not only will you be the worse for it...so will society.
A flattering idea but one's family might not agree
0 Replies

cherrie

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 09:40 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm real.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Mon 31 Dec, 2012 10:16 pm
@dalehileman,
My real name is Swamp Donkey!

Figured 2Packs was more relatable....but none the less, I am only a figment of your imigination....I reside in the ether that is the net....welcome to the desert of the real.

I've actually been called swamp donkey, my first name starts with an S, and my last name rhymes with donkey.
nothingtodo

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 12:09 am
@2PacksAday,
You will no doubt be called worse, though I assure you, I hold no inclination to suggest a donkey in a swamp would be any variable worth creating, if alternatives were possible.
2PacksAday

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 12:27 am
@nothingtodo,
Where I live, swamp donkey is just another name for a deer.
dalehileman

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 12:29 am
@2PacksAday,
Quote:
My real name is Swamp Donkey!
I agree with Tod above but don't envy any attempt to swim against such resistance
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 01:27 am
@2PacksAday,
Cool.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 06:26 am
@dalehileman,
In response to the OP.

Some people choose not to reveal ID for the reasons of future uncertainty.
For example, if a computer gamer does well, he/she gets followed around and then it seriously does get silly, people start following you around in RL.

Perhaps not every time, I am making a case of point, when the truth spans multiple areas, a person might get good or terrible at anything and the same can apply, in the IM and twitter ages, people flock with belief systems the like of Golden Dawn in foolish appearance, solely sometimes to ridicule others, then it just takes one nut to pop out of the fruit bowl...

Knock knock knock.

Who the hell are you?
Christian
Christian who?
Christian with no faith today.
dalehileman

Tue 1 Jan, 2013 11:16 am
@nothingtodo,
Quote:
Some people choose not to reveal ID for the reasons of future uncertainty.
Oh but I blame no one

Quote:
….. people start following you around in RL.
Tod you have to forgive an old fella not throughly familiar with all the latest colloquial shoptalk

http://onelook.com/?w=RL&ls=a

Quote:
Perhaps not every time,…….then it just takes one nut to pop out of the fruit bowl...
Well put indeed Tod. However aren't such attacks very rare: After some 17 years at this I haven't once been seriously attacked (tho as I said, given today maybe I'm now wide open) Also however see Frank's comments above; how can you refute him

Quote:
Knock knock knock.
Hello who's there

Quote:
Who the hell are you?
Who, me

Quote:
Christian
No, apodictical existential pantheist

Quote:
Panthiest who?
Pan, thee ist mine Freud

Quote:
….with no faith today.

But it is a kind of faith; we concede there's still something mysterious about the Great Megillah and our place in it
0 Replies