Six tips to get Kerry to White House

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:08 pm
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
Six tips to get Kerry to White House
Arianna Huffington
Thursday, March 11th, 2004

Congratulations, John Kerry. The White House is gunning for you, and party hacks are deafening you with advice. Tune them out. Here is a simple six-point plan for becoming the 44th President.
1. You may share JFK's initials, but you need to campaign with RFK's passion. Ushering Bush out of the White House will take more than a critique of his failed policies - and more than a new and improved Medicare plan. It will take a bold moral vision of what America can be. The night Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, you were on a ship coming home from Vietnam, and you have often talked about his legacy. Remember what he said: "Some men see things as they are and ask, 'Why?' I dream of things that never were and ask, 'Why not?'"

2. Don't pick a vice president by looking at the map. Pick someone who can appeal not just to our self-interest but to our better instincts. In other words, do not pick Evan Bayh.

3. Don't fall back on the tried-and-untrue swing-voter strategy. Fifty percent of eligible voters did not vote in 2000. Speak to them - the young, the poor, single women. Speak to those who are struggling without health care, decent schools or jobs. The dithering poltroons offering you focus-group-tested advice on how to triangulate your way to victory won't like it. But you'll feel better, and you'll win.

4. Don't run from your voting record. Don't run, as you did in the New York debate, from being called a liberal. Define it as the foundation of the great breakthroughs in American history. The Emancipation Proclamation. The 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote. The New Deal, which put ordinary people back to work when the private sector couldn't. Social Security. Medicare. The Voting Rights Act of 1965. The Clean Air Act of 1970. The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970. The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. These milestones represent values - liberal values - held dear by most Americans. You can be the President who leads us to the next breakthrough after years of consolidation, stagnation and - under George Bush - regression.

5. Bush Republicans control certain magical words, starting with "responsibility." Take "responsibility" back. The GOP wants the nation to believe we can carry on a worldwide war on terror and the Iraqi occupation while giving the top hats a tax cut and the drug companies a huge new prescription drug benefit without cost containment. We can't, of course. Make sure Americans realize that before they vote in November.

6. Strike a new bargain with the American people. Tell them, "You can expect a lot more of me, and I will ask a lot more of you." President Bush has used Sept. 11 to divide us - and as a handy visual for his new campaign ads. Imagine how different our country would be if he had used it instead to call on the American people to commit themselves to a large, collective purpose. Believe in us. Ask us to confront both the horrors wrought by terrorists and the horrors wrought by violence in our inner cities, woefully inadequate health care, education and housing. Ask us to share in the sacrifices necessary to build a country of real opportunity.

The generosity, selflessness and courage that emerged on Sept. 11, 2001, are still part of who we are. Speak straight to us and challenge us to live up to those intangible qualities that make our nation great.

You can be that leader, but only if you ignore all those who tell you that's not the way you win elections. Indeed, that's the only way you'll win this one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,296 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 12:58 pm
Amen!

If Kerry does this, he will have my full, unqualified support (and my vote).

If not, it's is back to Nader until someone who isn't evil decides they want to lead.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:40 pm
The biggest problem facing Kerry
The biggest problem facing John Kerry right now is the Bush tactic underway.

Bush is running negative ads with technically untrue or misleading accusations. Kerry must respond immediately to the ads or Bush will be able to inaccurately define him. This costs Kerry a lot of money that he has yet to raise.

Bush has a huge campaign fund and can play this game until he cripples Kerry's funding. That's the problem when one side has so much more money.

The only way this Bush tactic can be stopped is if the Media steps in and starts giving Kerry free time to refute Bush's bogus charges.

Most important, the Media must challenge Bush point by point in his false charges against Kerry. The same must apply to any false charges levied against Bush by Kerry.

BBB
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:55 pm
I think the Media will naturally do this. As important as politics are, in the US they are basically a sport.

The media will want to cover Kerry's response to each Bush attack (and Bush's response to Kerry's attacks). There is a natural, not entirely unwholesome incentive for the media to create a level playing field as this will create the messiest, ugliest most exciting contest.

Kerry needs to stick to progressive principles since he needs the votes of those of us who are progressive.

As far as strategy, he must be Clinton instead of Gore.
0 Replies

dennis

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 11:21 am
Real veterans understand the courage it takes our 43rd CIC to actually combat terrorism and tyranny while simultaneously promoting our American ideals and freedoms. Real veterans also understand who Kerry is because he showed us his immoral colors in Nicaragua. By the way, thankfully, his side lost and Nicaragua is now a vibrant democracy. Just as it took courage then, it takes courage now. Kerry's instincts were wrong then and are still wrong for America.

The issues in America are found amongst our public schools, our national defense, tax relief, Social Security and Medicare, healthcare, and our economy. I want you to be honest with yourself and the all the facts while you determine which of these two, the President George W. Bush, or his opponent, Sen. John Kerry, has actually accomplished and made progress on these issues.

The principals we strive to fight against in America are found amongst abortions or suicides, crime or smut, and lack of faith; read Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. Now I ask you; are all these deaths and the misery associated with abortions or suicides necessary? Do we really need to allow for so much crime and smut and all of its pain and consequences? Do we have such little faith that we blame God for our poverty of morals? When choosing a leader to fight against these principalities, choose one well armed to take the fight to the enemy. Do you know in your heart were Sen. John Kerry stands and defends our collective morals? He and his party are aligned with the devil! They represent evil forces which are tearing apart our citizen's basic rights of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

I encourage you to move away from gratifications towards responsibility and provide this President, George W. Bush, with your great vote.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 12:37 pm
Dennis, you have already posted this screed on another A2K thread.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8371&start=150
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:07 pm
Re: The biggest problem facing Kerry
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The biggest problem facing John Kerry right now is the Bush tactic underway.

Bush is running negative ads with technically untrue or misleading accusations. Kerry must respond immediately to the ads or Bush will be able to inaccurately define him. This costs Kerry a lot of money that he has yet to raise.

Bush has a huge campaign fund and can play this game until he cripples Kerry's funding. That's the problem when one side has so much more money.

The only way this Bush tactic can be stopped is if the Media steps in and starts giving Kerry free time to refute Bush's bogus charges.

Most important, the Media must challenge Bush point by point in his false charges against Kerry. The same must apply to any false charges levied against Bush by Kerry.

BBB

I suspect that one of the biggest problems facing Kerry is the fact that many Americans don't care for his present wife, Teresa Hines-Kerry. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:07 pm
dennis:

Quote:
The issues in America are found amongst our public schools, our national defense, tax relief, Social Security and Medicare, healthcare, and our economy. I want you to be honest with yourself and the all the facts while you determine which of these two, the President George W. Bush, or his opponent, Sen. John Kerry, has actually accomplished and made progress on these issues.

The principals we strive to fight against in America are found amongst abortions or suicides, crime or smut, and lack of faith; read Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. Now I ask you; are all these deaths and the misery associated with abortions or suicides necessary? Do we really need to allow for so much crime and smut and all of its pain and consequences? Do we have such little faith that we blame God for our poverty of morals? When choosing a leader to fight against these principalities, choose one well armed to take the fight to the enemy. Do you know in your heart were Sen. John Kerry stands and defends our collective morals? He and his party are aligned with the devil! They represent evil forces which are tearing apart our citizen's basic rights of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

Are you publishing this as a high-sounding speech, or do you "know from what you mean?" How dare you smear the 'veteran' of a war, whatEVER his opinion?

Bush administration is a miserable failure in "no child left behind" and perhaps the public school teachers and officials in all the states-- ALONE -voting against him, may singularly put him out of office.

Go to a search engine and find the subject of tax relief-- and what "income tax" means. "Income tax" that comes out of the average guys payday... see if HE got any relief.

People dependent upon Social Security and Medicare for income and healthcare, would appreciate the government keeping their GREEDY MITTS out of that pot... it is the ONE program not running deficits!

Why do you compare a sitting president to one who has never had the authority of the office? Man, you condemn a man before you give him a chance.

Now then, I can tell you there has been no improvement in sexual morality, decrease in murderous activity, or change in smut-bearing, drinking, drugging citizens because of the present administration. I doubt if there wil be any in the next or the next.
And I challenge you to tell me you have been in a room with GWBush, and seen him being anointed or spoken to by God. Prove to me that he is engaged in prayer, and/or that he trusts in God.
Jesus taught us to take HIS yoke and become his servant. I cannot be inspired (personally) by the actions of Bush.

If you like the present administration, then just say so and vote for them, but don't try to 'sell him'. You are a poor campaigner.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 02:40 pm
Dennis,

Welcome to A2K!

I hope voices like yours are heard far and wide for this election.

You really articulate the issues behind this election very well. I don't think enough middle Americans understand the true issues behind the Bush re-election.

With voices like yours around, they may start to understand the important implications of this election.

Please keep shouting your message as loudly as you possibly can.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:00 pm
Hitler was a nut also, and everyone with a wit in Germany knew he was a nut. It was common wisdom that all you to do was let him rant and his nuttiness would be self evident. So no one with a wit challenged him, they let him rant. It didn't turn out quite the way it was supposed to.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:51 pm
Vote for Bush? Are you kidding us? A vote for Bush is a vote for Armaggedon. It's no accident Gibson portrayed Satan with having effeminate qualities...

Name one resounding success that isn't bogged down in protests and questionable intelligence that Bush has managed to pull off so far. Great ideas don't polarize a nation.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:54 pm
ebrown_p, if you consider collecting a bunch of inflammatory buzzwords into one place without the slightest documentation of them for us to consider, well, you must love the ad showing the cloud of bodies being blasted out of one of the WTC towers, and the woman plummenting to her death...never mind the bloodied woman sitting in shock on the pavement....or the many, many people trapped at the windows before the tower fell.

That's a bunch of inflammatory buzz images, and one image is worth 1,000 words. Bush is no hero, and he shouldn't be basking in the self-honor that exploits these graphic images and puffed-up words supposedly conveying integrity and honor.

Great actions, deeds, and ideas do not polarize a nation.
0 Replies