Those Zany bush inc. Folks....

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:46 am
They're at it again...they want to put warning labels on condoms so people will know they don't work, but are also putting through a bill that excuses the food industry from labeling food that has been genetically altered, some with HUMAN GENES, because it would be too costly and bad for business.

I think I'll start snorting cocaine and commiting adultery again. I don't want to miss my chance to see bush and his business partners in hell someday. Rolling Eyes

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=542&u=/ap/20040311/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/condom_warnings_1&printer=1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,521 • Replies: 64
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 06:53 am
This is bill HR2916...it is being stonewalled by the GOP...

http://www.thecampaign.org/HR2916.pdf
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:23 am
You would think that since it's going to fall off anyway (from eating altered food) they wouldn't need to waste time on labels.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 08:39 am
Who knows what else the food industry has secretly been excused from? To quote an old saying, "we are what we eat"...but what are we eating?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 01:48 am
There is no reason to believe that just because a food product is genetically altered, that it is any less safer. They undergo extensive testing from the fda to ensure their safety. Real cherrys are miniscule in size. We've been eating genetically altered food for years.

Biologically speaking, there is no reason to believe that just because more copies of a certain gene that enhances the size of a fruit are inserted, that the food is any less safer, especially after undergoing testing for years. The only change that such a modification leads to is an increase in the amount of meat in the fruit. The biological composition of the meat is unchanged.

Any one concerned that these human genes are going to leave the food and enters our cells modifying us needs to go back and retake their high school biology class. That's simply not possible. There is absolutely no mechanism through which one can take up genes from the food they eat. Any microbiologist can tell you that this is simply impossible.

And if such enhancements help our hard working farmers make more money and lose less crop, then all the better.

But widespread public ignorance of the precise mechanisms behind genetic modifications, procedures such as irradition, and the extensive testing undergo cost farmers a lot of money.

I bring up irradition because it's a similar situation. Irradition is a process that works similar to how a microwave works to kill bacteria on food. Those familiar with the science behind the procedure know that there is absolutely no basis whatsoever to believe irradiated food poses any risk. Yet it offered a cheaper and more importantly far healthier alternative to pesticides. Yet at the insistence of some consumer advocacy groups ignorant of the science behind irradiation, irradiated food was required to be labeled as such. The general public largely unfamiliar with what that means associated it with radiation and cancer and opted to buy pesticide infested alternatives instead. Shops began to stop ordering irradiated food and there are probably several people out there right now who have cancer as a result of these pesticides that they never would have contracted had it not been for the labels on irradiated food.

This is why it is my belief that the only people who should determine which legislation should be passed are those that are familar with all the facts behind the issue.

Chemicals and pesticides are the real problems. Newer procedures such as genetic enhancements and irradition are actually far healthier and decrease the use of pesticides as well.

Similarly, meat preparation should be better regulated. It is carried out in cramped unsanitary disease ridden conditions and the slaugtering techinques are not only grossly inhumane but undeniably dangerous. And some of the drugs cows are injected with to increase their size amount to little more than poisions.

I'm not saying that there aren't real problems with the food industry. I'm saying lets focus on the ones that we have a scientific basis to view as problematic.

And just out of curiosity, what exactly is your objection with letting people know that condoms fail roughly 4% of the time even when used properly as instructed? Far too many people remain ignorant of this fact. If more people had the foresight to complement their condoms with a birth control pill as well, the incidence of unwanted unplanned pregnancies would virtually disappear.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 08:40 am
Centroles wrote:
There is no reason to believe that just because a food product is genetically altered, that it is any less safer. They undergo extensive testing from the fda to ensure their safety. Real cherrys are miniscule in size. We've been eating genetically altered food for years.

Biologically speaking, there is no reason to believe that just because more copies of a certain gene that enhances the size of a fruit are inserted, that the food is any less safer, especially after undergoing testing for years. The only change that such a modification leads to is an increase in the amount of meat in the fruit. The biological composition of the meat is unchanged.

Any one concerned that these human genes are going to leave the food and enters our cells modifying us needs to go back and retake their high school biology class. That's simply not possible. There is absolutely no mechanism through which one can take up genes from the food they eat. Any microbiologist can tell you that this is simply impossible.

And if such enhancements help our hard working farmers make more money and lose less crop, then all the better.

But widespread public ignorance of the precise mechanisms behind genetic modifications, procedures such as irradition, and the extensive testing undergo cost farmers a lot of money.

I bring up irradition because it's a similar situation. Irradition is a process that works similar to how a microwave works to kill bacteria on food. Those familiar with the science behind the procedure know that there is absolutely no basis whatsoever to believe irradiated food poses any risk. Yet it offered a cheaper and more importantly far healthier alternative to pesticides. Yet at the insistence of some consumer advocacy groups ignorant of the science behind irradiation, irradiated food was required to be labeled as such. The general public largely unfamiliar with what that means associated it with radiation and cancer and opted to buy pesticide infested alternatives instead. Shops began to stop ordering irradiated food and there are probably several people out there right now who have cancer as a result of these pesticides that they never would have contracted had it not been for the labels on irradiated food.

This is why it is my belief that the only people who should determine which legislation should be passed are those that are familar with all the facts behind the issue.

Chemicals and pesticides are the real problems. Newer procedures such as genetic enhancements and irradition are actually far healthier and decrease the use of pesticides as well.

Similarly, meat preparation should be better regulated. It is carried out in cramped unsanitary disease ridden conditions and the slaugtering techinques are not only grossly inhumane but undeniably dangerous. And some of the drugs cows are injected with to increase their size amount to little more than poisions.

I'm not saying that there aren't real problems with the food industry. I'm saying lets focus on the ones that we have a scientific basis to view as problematic.

And just out of curiosity, what exactly is your objection with letting people know that condoms fail roughly 4% of the time even when used properly as instructed? Far too many people remain ignorant of this fact. If more people had the foresight to complement their condoms with a birth control pill as well, the incidence of unwanted unplanned pregnancies would virtually disappear.

It is a quantum leap from condoms fail 4% of the time to condoms will not prevent std's, and I object to andro and ephedra products, gay marriages and sexual abstinence becoming smoke screen issues to hide the bush record on things like the economy, education, healthcare and all the other miserable failures of his run on PA Ave. so far.

As far as genetically altered food goes, the jury is out and all I'm saying is that we have a right to know, WITH labels that the food COULD be harmful, but the current administration is trying to let the industry off the hook because the expense is "bad for business", but have no problem trying to force the condom business to go through the same expensive "bad for business" process.

Can you now see my problem with the whole thing?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 08:41 am
I'm saying just a few years of testing does not necessarily make a profit oriented company's claims of safety necessarily true.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:53 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I'm saying just a few years of testing does not necessarily make a profit oriented company's claims of safety necessarily true.

and I couldn't agree more...best I can figure is that the food industry must contirubte a lot more to bush inc. than the rubber or unregulated supplement industry does.......
0 Replies

dennis

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 11:10 am
Courage
Real veterans understand the courage it takes our 43rd CIC to actually combat terrorism and tyranny while simultaneously promoting our American ideals and freedoms. Real veterans also understand who Kerry is because he showed us his immoral colors in Nicaragua. By the way, thankfully, his side lost and Nicaragua is now a vibrant democracy. Just as it took courage then, it takes courage now. Kerry's instincts were wrong then and are still wrong for America.

The issues in America are found amongst our public schools, our national defense, tax relief, Social Security and Medicare, healthcare, and our economy. I want you to be honest with yourself and the all the facts while you determine which of these two, the President George W. Bush, or his opponent, Sen. John Kerry, has actually accomplished and made progress on these issues.

The principals we strive to fight against in America are found amongst abortions or suicides, crime or smut, and lack of faith; read Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. Now I ask you; are all these deaths and the misery associated with abortions or suicides necessary? Do we really need to allow for so much crime and smut and all of its pain and consequences? Do we have such little faith that we blame God for our poverty of morals? When choosing a leader to fight against these principalities, choose one well armed to take the fight to the enemy. Do you know in your heart were Sen. John Kerry stands and defends our collective morals? He and his party are aligned with the devil! They represent evil forces which are tearing apart our citizen's basic rights of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

I encourage you to move away from gratifications towards responsibility and provide this President, George W. Bush, with your great vote.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 04:26 pm
I am a real veteran and I disagree totally, denny.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:37 pm
"Chemicals and pesticides are the real problems. Newer procedures such as genetic enhancements and irradition are actually far healthier and decrease the use of pesticides as well."

Gene science is in its infancy. To say it is perfectly safe is to ignore millions and millions of years of evolution and an amazingly intricated, balanced and intrasupporting web of life and biosphere on this planet.

You are leaving out the real danger behind manipulating genes, and frankly, I have to wonder why.

We are creating forced mutations for one thing, in a world we don't completely understand. Who knows who altering the vegetable kingdom may affect the animal kingdom, and what the resulting pinponging of mutational responses creates. MOST of the species that Earth ever produced are extinct ALREADY. Our chemicals are doing this already, as pesticides have to be upgraded once the target bug adapts and is no longer killed by the current dosage in use. That alone will create bugs we can't kill anymore eventually because we are creating mutations that the natural environment has not been prepared for...

To alter the life itself is just asking for monsters. We are still at the steam engine level of this science, just like we were in the 1930s when the chemical onslaught began in earnest.

The vegetable kingdom is far more vicious and warlike than the animal kingdom despite it all being rooted in place. Entering mutated DNA into this kingdom is not wise at all, because plants adapt far more quickly than animals do. The danger is very real, and we foolhardly dismiss it as safe for human consumption.

Not only must this food be labelled, but it must label country of origin too so that we KNOW what we are buying, period. It's supposed to be buyer beware, not buyer you have no choice but to eat it.

The bottom line here is that what we are introducing into the plants is something that we have no way of knowing what it might ultimately produce. This rush to increase profits is going to kill us all someday.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:38 pm
Over the past 6,000 years of recorded history, and probably much more than that, humans have one great success story. They have a remarkable ability to turn gardens of paradise into wasteland deserts of sand. Altering the flora kingdom seems to be a great way to achieve this in record time, once the disaster rears its ugly head.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:40 pm
And giant cherries are perfectly possible with hybrids and cross-pollinization. Altering their DNA, however, is much more cost-effective, and saves a lot on research and development. Too bad the DNA is still an infant as far as its own research and development goes. They want money now, not later.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 09:41 pm
You can't be serious, dennis.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 03:02 am
The issue that you're now bringing up is completely seperate from what the legislation is dealing with.

The argument isn't whether or not the actual genetic modifications that are made should be more tightly regulated.

I would fully support any legislation to regulate more tightly the modifications made and more precautions to ensure genetically modified plants don't slip out into the ecosystem. But the legislation we're talking about has no such goal.

More importantly, you seem to be ignoring the fact that the genetically modified plants are now being modified in such a way that they are unable to produce seeds and make more plants. This ensures that the plants can't spread to areas where they are not initially planted or beyond the quantites which are planted. And they help ensure that farmers are forced to buy a seperate seed for each genetically modified plant they wish to plant and harvest instead of extracting an infinite number of seeds from one.

Such measures take away much if not all of the risks that everyone is so vary of with genetically modified food.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 03:41 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I am a real veteran and I disagree totally, denny.

LOL! I suspect dennis' definition of "real" excludes anyone who does not agree with him - you, Edgar, are therefore, I bet, an "unreal" veteran....heehee.

Dunno how veterans got onto this thread anyway, still.....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 09:12 am
I'm a vet. That makes me an expert on all things legal, military and political, doesn't it?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:02 am
Re: Courage
dennis wrote:
Real veterans understand the courage it takes our 43rd CIC to actually combat terrorism and tyranny while simultaneously promoting our American ideals and freedoms. Real veterans also understand who Kerry is because he showed us his immoral colors in Nicaragua. By the way, thankfully, his side lost and Nicaragua is now a vibrant democracy. Just as it took courage then, it takes courage now. Kerry's instincts were wrong then and are still wrong for America.

The issues in America are found amongst our public schools, our national defense, tax relief, Social Security and Medicare, healthcare, and our economy. I want you to be honest with yourself and the all the facts while you determine which of these two, the President George W. Bush, or his opponent, Sen. John Kerry, has actually accomplished and made progress on these issues.

The principals we strive to fight against in America are found amongst abortions or suicides, crime or smut, and lack of faith; read Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. Now I ask you; are all these deaths and the misery associated with abortions or suicides necessary? Do we really need to allow for so much crime and smut and all of its pain and consequences? Do we have such little faith that we blame God for our poverty of morals? When choosing a leader to fight against these principalities, choose one well armed to take the fight to the enemy. Do you know in your heart were Sen. John Kerry stands and defends our collective morals? He and his party are aligned with the devil! They represent evil forces which are tearing apart our citizen's basic rights of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

I encourage you to move away from gratifications towards responsibility and provide this President, George W. Bush, with your great vote.

Is there a factory in Lubbock that produces these people?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 03:05 pm
can we get back on topic please. There are very good reasons to dislike most of Bush's policies. But this isn't such a policy I don't think.

I see no problem with making the fact that condoms fail about 4% of the time even when properly used more apparent. I think people should be taught to supplement their condoms with a birth control pill as well to ensure unwanted pregnancies don't occur. If that happens, the incidence of abandoned children, abortions, and poverty all go down significantly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 03:20 pm
I have known the failure potential of a condom since about 1957. Surely most everybody else does too.
0 Replies