Jack Klugman Died

nextone

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 08:05 pm
So sad to read of his death. Liked him in The Odd Couple, and Twelve Angry Men.

djjd62

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 08:07 pm
@nextone,
http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fc/fcf2519a_Celebrity-Image-Jack-Klugman-in-Quincy-M-E--244076.jpeg

it was murder, Sam
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 08:10 pm
@nextone,
Sorry to hear it. A fine, fine character actor.

RIP, Quincy.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 08:16 pm
@nextone,
"Klugman died at the age of 90 at his home in Northridge, California on December 24, 2012 with his wife, Peggy, at his side. He is survived by his sons, David and Adam, and two grandchildren."
Roberta

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 12:10 am
@Ragman,
Sorry to hear this. He was a good actor. I enjoyed watching him in dramas and comedies.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 01:49 am
@nextone,
Quote:
A heavy smoker, Klugman was diagnosed with throat cancer in 1974.

and he lived to 90?? somebody must have their facts wrong.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 08:53 am
I liked Klugman, although I could not watch the Odd Couple.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 09:27 am
@nextone,
I watched him in the Twilight Zone--'A Game of Pool" with Jonathon Winters the other night. RIP Jack.

Rap
jcboy

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 09:40 am
@raprap,
May he rest in peace. Do you think Tony Randall made Jack Klugman wipe his feet before he entered the Pearly Gates?

My condolences go out to his loved ones.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 01:27 pm
Jack Klugman took the kind of earnest, urban/ethnic good guy roles that Karl Malden would have had if he hadn't priced himself into a higher income bracket by winning an Oscar for Streetcar Named Desire. Klugman had good roles in Twelve Angry Men and Days of Wine and Roses, but he was essentially a TV actor who struck gold with The Odd Couple and then with Quincy. A talented actor who will be missed.
Ragman

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 01:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Nope, it's a fact. However, he did quit smoking decades ago either before or when they removed a cancerous vocal cord.

"Klugman, who lost his voice to throat cancer in the 1980s and trained himself to speak again, died with his wife at his side."

"“The only really stupid thing I ever did in my life was to start smoking,” he said in 1996."

"He said seeing people smoking on television and films “disgusts me, it makes me so angry - kids are watching”.

"When Klugman lost a vocal cord to cancer in 1989, it was Randall who insisted Klugman could bounce back.

“My career was over,” Klugman told USA TODAY in 1997, when he reunited with Randall on Broadway for Simon’s The Sunshine Boys.

“I couldn’t even swallow: I had to lay on my side. I lived alone, could barely whisper. I cut off everybody.”

But when the two old friends teamed up for an Odd Couple benefit performance, “everybody was crying,” Klugman recalled, performing a waterfall of tears with his fingers. “The cast, the audience, these people who had paid $1,000 a seat.”

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 07:04 pm
I really enjoyed all of his work--very versatile and talented character actor.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 12:16 am
What?

An obit post not made by Merry or edgar?

What's the world coming to?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 12:19 am
My first reaction to the pairing of Klugman and Randal in a TV version of The Odd Couple was less than favorable, and yet (as it often is the case with TV series) the two of them came to represent Felix and Oscar far more (for me at least) than Matthau and Lemmon.

The Password episode is my favorite.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 12:20 am
@joefromchicago,
Right on point.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
In undertaking this topic didn't realize I was breaking new ground in an Old Boys' club. I liked Jack Klugman's acting, and menschness. Felt sad, and so posted. In this instance, I was quicker to the dead.
0 Replies