Tinting the toilet bowl water

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 10:45 pm
I just recently put some of those tablets in the toilets to make the water turn blue. Do they really do anything besides turn the water blue? Not that I mind the blue water -- it's actually a nice bright shade -- and my dog doesn't drink out of the toilet bowl so I don't have to worry about that. But I'm wondering if it's just a rip off or if it really does do something of some significance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,972 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 10:49 pm
I know that when my brother was really little, my mom put some of those blue tablets into the toilet, and when he peed and the water turned green, he came out of the bathroom thinking that he was dying of something terrible...It was pretty funny.

I don't know how great they work, but the blue color isn't bad.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 10:55 pm
Love it, Matrix. Never thought about that. Never realized it would actually change color. What was the child drinking?????
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 10:58 pm
Basic science, bandylu...yellow+blue=green. Laughing
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:03 pm
Duh! My problem is I drink so much and go so often it's not concentrated enough to make a difference (which is why I never noticed it).
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:18 pm
Cannot add anything to the toliet bowl water as it is Carlottas preferred watering place. And she gets really angry if I put the lid down, icky, but true.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:19 pm
bandylu2- I IS supposed to keep the water free of the stuff that causes gunk in toilet bowls. There is a problem with those things though. You willfind that it will corrode the rubber flappers in your tank, and you will have to change the flappers more often.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:23 pm
Well, now they don't tell you that on the label, Phoenix (but then why would they). I suspect this is a short lived thingie, anyway. Just happened to see them in the food store and figured I'd give them a try. It is a pretty shade of blue (of course it doesn't go with any of the bathroom color schemes, though).

And Joanne, we always keep the lid down. I trained hubby and both kids from the very beginning. Nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night and having the seat up when you don't expect it to be.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:26 pm
Joanne...

Have you seen that soap commercial on TV where the dog is drinking out of the toilet and then hears his people at the door? He comes down to greet them with kisses all over their faces and the announcers asks something to the effect of, "Are you really as clean as you think you are?"
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:29 pm
Yes, but you know Carlotta is a cat and she does not give out with many kisses thank God.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 11:49 pm
I used to have a Manx cat. She'd go into the bathroom if I was taking a bath and walk around the edge of the tub...Sometimes she'd fall in. A couple of times, when someone had left the toilet seat up, she walked around the rim and fell in there...

She didn't want to get a drink. I don't really know what she was doing, except she wasn't being very smart for a cat. Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:08 am
Oh, Nermal does that, Matrix. He also lays in the bathroom sink - even while I'm brushing my teeth. I was expecting him to panic when I turned on the water, but instead I got a wet cat reluctantly leaving. Understand that Nermal is not quite Normal.
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:37 am
The above brings me into a saying we use to have when skiing & I imagine it is still used-- being "Don't eat yellow snow".
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:44 am
roger...

I think when talking about cats, we need to keep the word normal out of the conversation, don't you? Laughing

Smitty...

I wouldn't go eating any blue snow, either...! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 02:53 am
It was an odd word choice, now that you mention it.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 01:59 pm
Blue color of the toilet tablets has a psychologic effect, to my mind. It makes the bowl seem cleaner than it is (even when it is absolutely clean). Besides this, tablets contain deodorating and desinfecting substances. Some of the brands contain substances that dissolve scale that results from high bicarbonate contents in water in certain areas.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:29 pm
Back in olden times, they made Santa Flush, which probably crimped his style somewhat, in addition to bogging him down. So he started leaving these little touches of a blue Christmas in all the homes in which he went.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:33 pm
I guess it was Sani-Flush, I was recollecting.

http://site.yahoo.net/worldwideretro/saniflushgal.html

But it seems they do in fact make Santa Flush.

http://www.passionup.com/christmas/html/christmas121.htm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:44 pm
Good grief!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 02:59 pm
For the record, we don't tint the water. The lid is generaly down but for specific periods involving excretory functions. the commode is a chair in the bathroom more often than it is a flushing appliance.

In the warmer months, it wears a bright, frilly upholstery, in the cooler months it gets more of a comfy furry sort of dressing. The throw rugs and curtains in the room are coordinated accordingly. I play no part in this.

The references to pets compel me to add one of my own. I have been around dogs my entire life. I love them, respect them, and and am quite considerate of them. However, I do not lose touch with the fact they are dogs. I am aware that a dog would be quite perfectly content to spend the day sleeping on dirty laundry, eating from the garbage can, drinking from the toilet, rolling in decomposing animal remains, and wading in mud puddles, perhaps doing a little upholstery chewing or installing a new hole in the garden by way of distraction at the odd moment here or there. From a dog's point of view, the water in the toilet bowl, changed as it is several times a day, is doubtless the freshest, coolest, most refreshing water in the house. Do your pets a favor. Be certain water is freely available to them, and change their water several times a day.

timber
0 Replies