ICE Purchases NYSE

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 08:06 am
How the market works is something I am woefully ignorant about, but one thing I'm pretty confident about is that when something like this happens it means we're being fucked over somehow by a small group of people who stand to profit tremendously and manipulate our finances. Will someone please explain it to me? Like I'm a 4 year old?

http://www.nyse.com/press/1356002940085.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 976 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 08:12 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I heard this news story this morning. But failed to notice whether or not the SEC approved of the buyout. Apparently, the SEC blocked ICE's first attempt at the NYSE when they tried to buy the stock exchange in a joint attempt with NASDAQ.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=167692433
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 10:28 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
no one wants to explain the workings of this to me? I'd truly like to understand it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 10:57 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
The only thing I can say is that the stock market is privately owned and what regulatory agencies that marginally cover it are wildly UNDERSTAFFED and UNDERBUDGETED. Effectively speaking, the small groups of banks and individuals who control the greatest amount of the stock market could get away with more then murder if they so chose to do so.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:06 am
@tsarstepan,
A little homework if you have the time. Watch...
FEATURE FILM:
Too Big to Fail (2011) (TV)

DOCUMENTARIES:
Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer (2010)
Inside Job (2010)
Capitalism: A Love Story (2009)
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:42 am
@tsarstepan,
appreciate that ...what I'm looking for is exactly what the specific profit motive behind this is and how it is , as most of these kinds of things are, borderline criminal. Or, show me I'm mistaken
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 12:23 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
What is the profit scheme for Visa or Mastercard to have their name on almost every credit card in the world? They take a very very tiny bit from every purchase made using their cards. Very small fees ADD UP QUICKLY on a global scale.

I'm assuming whomever is the managing company will be taking its nibble out of every stock transfer, sale, etc... taking place on the NYSE. Plus whatever exorbitant fees it wants to charge for new companies to list themselves on the NYSE. Big business. Not necessarily transparent to the outside public but I'm sure if you're willing to work for it, the information can be made public but at the speed of a slow bureaucratic style request.
0 Replies