How can you become financially reliable?

Wed 3 Aug, 2016 11:47 pm
So, while I can sit here and blame natural disasters that took away college savings so I paid out of pocket, all I'm really going to say is that now, in my early 30's, I scrape and claw to make ends meet for myself, not even owning a car (it tanked on me when I last switched jobs). I work really hard, but it just seems I never have enough. I have a Bachelor's in Management which hasn't been useful for much other than minimal current job advancement, but I'm too poor to afford more college, and feel stuck in a rut, How are some ways to simply get myself out of student loan debt or advance financially beyond paycheck to paycheck living? For starters, probably just having extra to put away before I start looking at other aspects, but even this seems unattainable as more unforeseen circumstances keep coming up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,851 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Thu 4 Aug, 2016 06:56 am
@mlssufan01,
Freelance at Upwork or a place like that. You can write or code while at home. Not a lot of money but better than zero.

Also, look at your expenses. I mean, really look at them. Do you really need a particular type of phone, or cable package? Can you use less air conditioning, eat in more, learn to cook?
mlssufan01

Thu 4 Aug, 2016 05:01 pm
@jespah,
a). I work at a restaurant 16 hours a day--I eat there normally, and at home eat PB&J and Ramen. Being that I'm semi-management, my entire life is cooking.
b). I don't have cable. My rent is $465 a month and includes electric, heat, water, and internet (it's a packaged deal, and is the cheapest place in town that i've found). My heaviest bills are student loan debt and the aformentioned credit card. In hindsight, I shouldn't have done any repairs on the car and just got rid of it earlier...but it is what it is now.
cicerone imposter

Thu 4 Aug, 2016 05:39 pm
@mlssufan01,
You don't say how much you make, so it's difficult to know how to analyze your finances.
Total income minus fixed expenses = disposable income.
Disposable income is where you need to budget.
0 Replies

garciasophia95

Tue 21 Aug, 2018 05:03 am
Nice article Thank-you so much for sharing...
0 Replies