W.W.J.K.: Who Would Jesus Kill?

Umbagog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:28 pm
Anne Coulture isn't a human being. She is a praying mantis. She may not be green, or brown, or yellow, but she will tear your head off just the same, if you wander in too close. All liberals think this way. All republicans disagree. They all think they are right, but they are all wrong. Anne not the least of which.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:29 pm
Ah, CdK, you are in fact, then, referring to conception as opposed to birth.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:32 pm
I think they are linked, test tube conception wouldn't result in what I'd call a "birth".

Basically I don't feel comfortable with asserting that "all" have been born as an example of a safe generalization.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:33 pm
OK, I see you make use of semantics here.

To say that all liberals think X is most likely a fallacious and gross generalization of the real situation that exists. To take such a position and then to make arguments concerning it is most likely stating falsehood and illogic

Is that better? Granted, sorting fact from fiction can be a task, especially when you only have printed words to go by.

I don't drink by the way. I quit drinking in 1983. I don't go to bars either, and of course, any sensible person knows not to enfuriate a drunk in a bar.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:33 pm
Setanta, that reminds me (and I don't mind digressing any thread regarding Anne Coulter), next time you're in town, check out People's Bar and Eatery at Spadina and Dupont. Fantastic diner food, huge portions, great value. Had a souvlaki there last night, and this giant plate arrives with a grilled pita, garnish that would have counted as a full salad course, heaps of tzaziki, and a generous portion of nicely charred pork. Expecting a sandwich, I also ordered fries and gravy, which I swear was big enough for four. I went with my dad, he got a chili burger with fries and a beer, I had soda water, and the bill was just $23 and change.

Anyway, back to Annie. I wonder what she thought of Schindler's List? I also wonder what Mel's dad thought of it?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:34 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Is that better?

Much better. It was divested of fallacy and since it was criticizing Ann's fallacies I considered it important ( to be free of fallacy).
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:38 pm
Truth be told, I can't tell yet if you are singling me out for criticisms, here, Craven. Probably not, I am sure, judging by your responses so far. I'm curious to see who it is around here that gets corrected by you on a regular basis. It will be interesting to see what your bias in this matter is. And please don't start saying you are unbiased.

We are all born innocent.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:38 pm
Yes, Ann can be accused of phallusies. She is almost alway guilty of penus envy.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:39 pm
I love the fact that Coulter takes on William Safire, a fellow conservative, because he writes for the NY Times. Her real issue with him, I suspect, is that he's taken seriously while she's little more than cartoon character (and possibly a subject of lustful thoughts by righties).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:40 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Truth be told, I can't tell yet if you are singling me out for criticisms, here, Craven. Probably not, I am sure, judging by your responses so far. I'm curious to see who it is around here that gets corrected by you on a regular basis. It will be interesting to see what your bias in this matter is. And please don't start saying you are unbiased.

We are all born innocent.

I may be biased (about something) but I am not very conservative with criticism of logic. And if you ever think you've caught me espousing a fallacy I urge you to criticize it (at which point I will defend it or retract it).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:43 pm
Some are unfortunately not born innocent but sociopathic. Genetics has revealed that we are born with a moral sense or we are not. We intellectually bridge some of those moral senses as not sociologically harmful to anyone, including ourselves. If we're breaking no reasonable and rational laws, it's how our character is built. You can accuse Mel of not just making a movie but trying to define all of our individual personal character. You can only accuse Ann weak humor and foaming at the mouth journalism.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:44 pm
I throw this out just to 'stir the pot' and 'fan the flames' a bit:

The talking Ann Coulter doll is HERE.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:46 pm
Ann is good at keeping her name alive by being the loudest right-wing commentator in the game. I'm sure she's well aware of that each time she sits down to write one of her screeds.

Why, I wonder, doesn't she have a show on FOX? I bet she'd love to. Though I suspect her schtick would wear thin pretty fast...
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:49 pm
The scriptures do in fact detail the torture. They speak of 80 lashes, or was it 40? Anyway, when you actually show someone getting lashed 40 times, it's quite horrific. We are somewhat removed from this horror nowadays, but the ancient world understood it perfectly. The horror of the torture of Christ is included in the Scriptures, but they don't display it out in all its gore. But if you pay attention to every single last detail offered, and turn it into full-length images, you get what Gibson created.

The Bible would offend all kinds of people if every last detail was put into accurate imagery. Sex, lust, greed, adultery, gluttony, bestiality, all of the dark side of human nature is crammed into it. The words alone don't make it totally obvious, but when you turn them into accurate images based on the words, you get rated R and then some. Hell, revelation alone terrified me when I was a little kid reading the Bible when no one was prompting me to do so. Hell, I used to know a guy that crashed in life, and then read the Bible obsessively cover to cover without let up, then he killed himself. I'm not sure why, but it's an unusal response, don't you think?

Jesus could have fled the Garden of Gethsamane to avoid what came afterwards. He knew they were coming for him. But he didn't, and submitted to the tortures they inflicted on him to demonstrate that key Christian tenet of sacrificing yourself to save others. It doesn't have much to do with the Jews at all beyond their abandonment of him once Caiaphas starting strutting around. Pilate didn't want to kill Jesus, but the rabblerousers insisted on it. If anyone is to blame, it is Caiaphas, but one Jew does not a people make.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:54 pm
I just have to wonder if Fedral owns an Ann Coulter talking doll, and just how he dresses it. Laughing
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:54 pm
"Some are unfortunately not born innocent but sociopathic."

True enough, but you need to qualify it a little, don't you think?

The enviroment influences, but the individual determines.

Of course, some are born just out-and-out defective, period, but in that, they are still innocent. They had no say about showing up as a monster or physically defective in some way that leads to great evil.

And like I said, what happens after that is complicated, and based on the actions of a great many people, usually. If my family had its way with me, I would now be a really nasty criminal with a really bad attitude for what I suffered through. Sure, the influence was great, but I determined something else for myself, and sought the help I needed to avoid falling into the pit of darkness.

Sure I have my scars, but I am not a sociopath - at least I don't think I am....
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:56 pm
Cav, I think it is a safe bet he does. He's into the praying mantis look.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:58 pm
Moo goo guy pan! Man, I'm starving all of a sudden. I think I was born Chinese. 1 billion people can't be wrong.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 12:58 pm
I actually enjoy reading her writing, but I take it as complete comedy, much like Ed Anger of the Weekly World News. She may not be kidding like Ed is, but I can laugh at the lunacy of it nonetheless.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 01:00 pm
I wouldn't mind some Chinese myself tonight Umbagog, but I think it might be perogies instead, because they are there in the freezer.
0 Replies