Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 06:26 pm
Hello everyone,

I've been a away from A2K a bit recently, and as someone kindly inquired as to why, I thought I'd say there are mainly two reasons: firstly because my life took a bit of a post-graduation crash where I was sleeping on my friend's floor next to some mousetraps and working ridiculous hours to hurry up and get a flat; secondly because when this cleared up and I got flat in a flush of thank-****-I'm-living-in-London-again euphoria I cheated on A2K with another website http://www.meetup.com/ which seems a bit like a real-life A2K. There's all sorts on there, very good for city dwellers!

Anyway, I'm back on here now Smile BUT the whole thing got me thinking that if I did decide to host a London meet-up, would anyone come?

pq x

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:16 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
If I happened to be passing, maybe.....

I've only recently (just prior to the olympics) spent any time in London at all. It was pretty cool. Stayed at the Shoreditch - just short walk to Brick Lane and some of those crazy markets. Walked up and down the monopoly board for days.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:38 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
no, i am here to argue ideas, not to gain friends. however i have belonged to a railfan forum for a decade where we do routinely meet up around America and ride trains together, which is great fun so I understand the appeal. we share a love of trains but otherwise we would never have even small words for each other, so spending days together is very educational. it reminds me some of my days living in university co-op housing.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 08:51 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I'd like to meet you and the many a2kers from England, Scotland, Ireland, (do we have some in Northern Ireland? Wales?) that I've had conversations with. Would like to stay a month or two to see too many things to list. No chance, for financial reasons.

Too bad, Spendius probably wouldn't let me in his pub..
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 09:29 am
@hawkeye10,
What an odd duck you are, Hawkeye10. Do you mean to say that if you had had several conversations (or I guess you see them as arguments) with someone who 1) inspired you to think even more critically than you had before or 2) revealed some new idea that really appealed to you, that you wouldn't entertain the additional idea of meeting them in person?

Joe(That is a different train of thinking)Nation

PS: I guess I should answer the Queen...... So glad you are back among us and not sleeping on the floor with mousetraps and seem to be making your way forward.
It will be awhile before I have the means to get to London, but if I could, I would.

Come to New York...there a big sofa here (ask Thomas) for overnights and lots of people who would meet with you.

dlowan

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 01:46 pm
@Joe Nation,
I'd love to meet in London.....if I were there. Alas, I am not and will not be again for the foreseeable future.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 04:26 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
I was in Camden yesterday, whenever I go to London I drive to Hammersmith then catch the tube from there.

One thing I noticed yesterday that I haven't seen before were Big Ben clocks amongst all the tourist tat.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 06:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Haha! Well hopefully you could find something a little better than that if you stayed a little longer Izzy! Wink

I would pay quite a lot to be a spy on the wall in Spendius's pub.

Thanks all, and thanks Joe. Yes I would LOVE to come to New York, I hope it's going to be one of my next adventures: as soon as I have finished interning I will start saving! I would like to come over and do a directing course or something. I would be so excited to meet you all.

margo

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 07:16 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Missed your chance - we were there last month! Sad
hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 02:02 pm
@margo,
Oooh, more antipodean/ol blighty cultural exchange - what'd ya do?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 02:20 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I'd sell my soul to be at a London A2K meet.. I'd especially love to meet you PQ...and my desire to get back to London is beyond words. But, it ain't gonna happen. The bucks are not there.

As Joe says, though, if you are ever in the Big Apple...you are going to meet lots of peeps!
0 Replies