A German couple treated me to 50€ dinner because I criticized Islam

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 12:40 pm
I came from a predominantly Muslim country. My parents are Muslim. But I am not a Muslim, even tough I was raised as a Muslim. (And the couple knew it) We were dining out together. I severely criticized Islam and Turkish immigrants in Germany. Plus I let them know I came from a predominantly Muslim country and my parents were Muslim. Then, when it's to time pay the bill, the waiter told me it had already been paid. Right after that, the couple smiled at me.

I'll try to do the same thing with the other Western people. I hope it works out.
Would you buy a meal for someone who does the same thing that I did?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,245 • Replies: 15
Topic Closed
No top replies

tsarstepan

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 12:43 pm
@cicibebe,
I can't afford a $65 meal myself let alone buy a complete stranger something so extravagant.

Even if money wasn't the issue, I wouldn't buy a complete stranger a meal like that. Maybe if I was deeply impressed, I'd buy them a drink and that's about it. Then again, if I heard someone's complete conversation or at least enough of it as to get the gist of their political beliefs I'd just might be plainly annoyed about how loud they were in their talking.

If you were intentionally eating at the same table, did you consider they were planning to pay for your meal regardless on topics of discussion?
cicibebe

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 01:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
No. Because I asked other people who dined out with us if they did pay. And, their answer was "yes". The only person who didn't pay was me.
tsarstepan

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 01:34 pm
@cicibebe,
Are you a money strapped college student?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 01:41 pm
@cicibebe,
I come from a predominantly Christian country. My parents are evangelical Christians and I was raised Christian. But I am not a Christian. If someone bought me dinner for that, I would think it quite odd. I certainly am not looking for free meals (at least not for that reason).

The fact that you criticized "Turkish Immigrants" in Germany (regardless of religion) sounds more like racism than anything else.

I certainly wouldn't buy you dinner.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 01:42 pm
@cicibebe,
cicibebe wrote:
Would you buy a meal for someone who does the same thing that I did?

It's obvious that you're no longer a practicing Muslim since generosity is one of the prime tenets and you should have paid.

I wonder if your hosts realized that they were behaving as Muslims are expected to.

If I had invited you out to eat, I might have paid. Given how you describe your conversation, I would not invite you out again and definitely never invite you to my home.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 02:33 pm
@cicibebe,
You falsely believe your views sway those who can afford to enjoy their efforts and your benefit at the same time in my opinion, though I suppose arguing with them would have yielded different results, possibly. This does not really mean to me that only 'the weather' discussion would have changed matters.

IMO
0 Replies

Ragman

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 02:39 pm
@cicibebe,
I see no good reason to reward someone for their negative opinion of a minority in a country where they're many times quite unwelcome and unwanted.
cicibebe

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 02:48 pm
@Ragman,
They are many times quite unwelcome and unwanted because they are not nice people. They are my fellow countrymen and I know them well. They just harm other Turks' reputation.
maxdancona

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 03:10 pm
@cicibebe,
I wonder how similar the experience of Turkish immigrants in Germany is to that of Mexican immigrants in the US.

I suspect that anti-immigrant bigotry is the same the world around.
0 Replies

Ragman

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 03:10 pm
@cicibebe,
Then IMHO it's up to Turks or other former countrymen to help overcome the bias not encourage it.

Re-answering your question, I would not pay for someone's meal for expressing an opinion that might promote such negativity.

{Edit: feel free to keep voting down my dissenting opinion as it indicates more close mindedness)
0 Replies

MURDOCK212

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 06:47 pm
@cicibebe,
From my prospective of what the German couple did to you was wrong although in fact I am a Black Muslim myself. This is the type of nature in which corrupted people bring onto this peaceful and beautiful Religion and I am truly ashamed to call them two German couples my brothers and sisters because the real teachings of our beliefs is to treat everyone as equal as us because at the end of the day were all 1 race and that is Human Beings.

Even though your parents are Muslim and your not it does not mean that the couple had the right to disrespect you by giving you such a high bill but as for you criticizing Islam that's wrong, you are in no place to make such criticism's, no disrespect but just think twice before speaking because your parents represent something which you are criticizing, stating and expressing judgement about, you have no position to make statements about people's Religion whether it be Christian, Jews, Buddhism, Islam etc. Just think positive yeaah and do you & carry on with your own life.
maxdancona

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:46 pm
@MURDOCK212,
Murdock, That is an interesting perspective.

Cicibebe was paid for disrespecting her parents by people who hated them. And now she apparently wants more? If my kids don't accept my religious beliefs, than so be it. They have the right to their own beliefs.

But if they accept money for speaking out against me, I will think that crosses the line.

Cicibebe is engaging in a form of prostitution. She is trading her dignity for financial gain. Personally for this particular act, helping two people justify their own hatred, I think Cicibebe should have asked for more.
MURDOCK212

Mon 17 Dec, 2012 08:02 pm
@maxdancona,
Exactly my point that's the whole case behind this situation, Cicibebe shouldn't have made specific comments on ones religion, at the end of the day if a person devide's it's way from what the parents believe, it's entirely up to them but please Cicibebe just keep those judgement comments and criticism thoughts and opinions to yourself and respect all Religions around you and other people's beliefs.
PUNKEY

Tue 18 Dec, 2012 08:43 am
@MURDOCK212,
It's difficult to figure out the couple's motivation with so little information.

They may have treated you to your dinner simply because they are more wealthy and wanted to share their blessings.

They might have felt sorry for you and thought you needed to have someone give you unconditional love.

Perhaps their religion encourages them to love those people they see who have a dark heart.

Perhaps you are young and foolish and they enjoyed hearing your simple outlook on life. You may have been more entertaining than thought provoking.

cicibebe

Tue 18 Dec, 2012 10:03 am
@PUNKEY,
Genau. Life is suffering Sad And I suffer greatly, almost in every manner.

What you said is highly likely to be true. I must have been stupid and entertaining than thought provoking. I tend to think positively in this kind of situations and the opposite of what I think is true mostly.
0 Replies