Does "the biases of laypersons" mean "the laypersons's biases"?

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:00 am

Context:

Psychiatrists and mental health workers often perpetuate the biases of laypersons.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 888 • Replies: 9

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
MontereyJack
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:15 am
yes (except it's "laypersons' ", no second s) (no "the" either in your rephrasing)
oristarA

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:27 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

yes (except it's "laypersons' ", no second s) (no "the" either in your rephrasing)

Thank you.
Does "perpetuate" there mean "keep permanently in mind"?
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:59 am
more on the order of "reinforce and strengthen".
0 Replies

Andrew H

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 01:11 pm
@oristarA,
I agree with Monterey Jack: "perpetuate" does not describe the ongoing state of mind of these professionals; I believe the meaning is that these professionals act in such a manner as to re-enforce these biases in their patients (possibly as well as in themselves). However, I suggest that the sentence, taken in isolation, is a little ambiguous in respect to what "perpetuate" means.
McTag

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 01:25 pm
@Andrew H,

When we have to try to analyse from a text the meaning of a word, we're in deep doo-doo.

"Perpetuate" means what a good dictionary says it means.
Andrew H

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 02:09 pm
@McTag,
You are making what seems to me to be a dubious claim. If I understood you correctly, and perhaps I do not, you appear to be denying that overall context sometimes resolves the ambiguity that is inherent in many terms. It would be nice if the english language possessed this "atomic" character - that the meaning of a word "stands alone", but I very much doubt this is true in the general case.
McTag

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:32 am
@Andrew H,

We're not considering poetry here, nor writing with any suggested nuances of ambiguity.

Quote:
Psychiatrists and mental health workers often perpetuate the biases of laypersons.

That's a bald, flat statement, albeit not a very well-constructed one, and the dictionary meaning of "perpetuate" works fine for me here.
oristarA

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 10:15 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

We're not considering poetry here, nor writing with any suggested nuances of ambiguity.

Quote:

That's a bald, flat statement, albeit not a very well-constructed one, and the dictionary meaning of "perpetuate" works fine for me here.

Full context is here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=zh-CN&lr=&id=gmCxeAw7-Z4C&oi=fnd&pg=PR7&dq=stigmatization+of+mental+illness&ots=3kFPCFed7e&sig=Y0s0NRzJGS5AD6uwXy6XdlR8jEw#v=onepage&q&f=false

The definition given by my dictionary:
perpetuate /pə'petʃueit, -tju-/
v.
cause to continue or prevail

All right here?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 11:23 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
the biases of laypersons.

Or the biases of laypeople.