Can anybody name all these men?

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 11:06 pm
This picture is hanging in the Daily Grill restaurant in Austin, and I can name some of those guys, but not all. Can anybody name all of them?

http://i47.tinypic.com/mhydly.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,442 • Replies: 11

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 11:20 pm
That's George Burns standing on the left and Ronald Reagan in the center. Seated on the left is Dean Martin and George Raft in the center. I don't recognize the rest of them -- they could be studio executives. The guy seated to the right of Raft looks a bit like Harry B. Cohn, head of Columbia Studios. The guy standing at the far right looks vaguely like Sen. Joe McCarthy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 12:46 am
@joefromchicago,
I think the guy standing on the right is Pat O'Brien.
farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 06:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
yep and the guy next to him is Reagan. The guy next to him sorta looks like Ed Wynn. The rest of em, sorry , they are either character actors or studio brass
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I think the guy standing on the right is Pat O'Brien.

Yeah, I think you're right. Reagan, O'Brien, and Raft would have all been under contract to Warner Bros. at the same time in the 1940s. The photo, though, looks like it was taken in the 1950s (although some of the people look like they were pasted into the photo), possibly at some kind of testimonial dinner for Raft -- which makes me wonder if the guy seated between Raft and Dean Martin might be George Jessel, the king of testimonial dinners.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:31 am
The movie posters on the wall behind them are all for George Raft movies, which makes your thesis all the more plausible.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:40 am
@Setanta,
Considering that he couldn't really act, Raft had an inexplicably long and successful career in Hollywood. Nowadays, he is probably most famous for all the roles that he turned down -- which is just as well, as it's difficult to think of a single movie that would have been improved with the addition of George Raft. He later developed ties with the New York mafia, so there's the off-chance that some of the mugs in the photo are underworld types.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 09:47 am
@joefromchicago,
I agree that might be George Jessel - will look him up.

Yes, it is.
http://assets.paleycenter.org/assets/perspectives/oscars2012/_resampled/ResizedImage212159-George-Jessel.jpg

Meantime, I'm sure that's Pat O'Brien.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2012 11:39 am
@joefromchicago,
The inability to act has never been a bar to a successful, even lucrative career in motion pictures. Some recent examples which come readily to mind are Kevin Costner and Mel Gibson.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 04:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
I recognize Dean Martin and Ronald Reagan. That is it.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 07:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Damn! They cropped me right out of the pic! Bestids.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 07:48 pm
@RexRed,
I think only us old fogies can identify most in that picture! Mr. Green
0 Replies