Senator Lott

Booman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 05:16 pm
Do you think Lott should or should not resign his position, and why?...I'll give my opinion in a few minutes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,881 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 05:18 pm
If for no other reason, the high visibility of the post. For the Repubs to have railed against Clinton for so long, and bemoaned the damage to the nation's image by his behavior in that office, it would be the grossest hypocricy to keep Lott in such a powerful position after what has fallen out on this issue . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 05:22 pm
Yep, but I'd've said the same thing before this particular story broke.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 05:33 pm
should have got rid of him looooooong ago.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 05:48 pm
I think that Lott would be a constant embarrassment to the Republican Party in the next two years, which might very well affect the outcome of the next presidential election. The Republicans have tried so hard to court the black voters, and in one fell swoop Lott has, if not destroyed, tarnished the party's credibility on civil rights issues.

Personally, I don't think that the middle and professional class Republican blacks would be so disturbed by the asinine remark of Lott to want to bolt to the Democratic Party. The problem is that the majority of blacks are NOT in the educated classes. Their Republican affilliation is probably a lot more tentative, and a scandal like this might really turn them off from Republicanism.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 05:58 pm
Well, I voted no....And with two good reasons.

...First of all, as a democrat, this is a man, I want representing the republican party in two years.
...And secondly, as an African-American, I'm thinking he's going to do a lot job-wise to show what a great guy he is.
...Hmm..am I cynical, or pragmatic?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:01 pm
Man, I'd say naïve if you're thinking he's going to do something for you now.

But then, I'm just a plain old cynic, so that life is full of pleasant surprises.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:02 pm
I feel he should offer his resignation Twice, this "Aspiring Leader" has demonstrated appallingly poor judgement. Much to the delight and good fortune of the Dems, he compounded his original gaffe by trying to minimize it. With all the real things to occupy the attention of our legislators, this should be a non-issue. Politicians being what they are, it will become THE ISSUE for the next few days or weeks. Hopefully, by the time The Legislature reconvenes, the matter will be resolved, or at least overshadowed if not mooted by some new "Non-Issue". In fact, "The War" will be that much further along, and no political event offers more potential for surprise and distraction than does war. Lott at present appears to have shot himself in both feet, but a long list of politicians have survived similar wounds. I very much would like to see Lott step aside; I do not expect him to do so.

timber
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:04 pm
He's going to have an awfully bad time with any legislation against affirmative action rather one agrees with it or not without the specter of his recent statements rising up once more. His voting record isn't supporting his apology. I think the caucus just may force him out.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:07 pm
Booman- Interesting "take" on the subject. I am dying to see how this all plays out.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:15 pm
I think it's mistaken to believe that the repubs hope or expect to garner very many black votes. Their concern I think is two-fold :

1. They don't want to mobilize blacks to come to the polls in huge
numbers to vote AGAINST them in the next election. Blacks vote overwhelmingly democratic yet, for a variety of reasons,
many don't exercise their vote. Make them mad as hornets and
it could make the difference on election day in a number of states.

2. To alleviate the consciences of white voters who could not vote
for an overtly racist party.
Many suburbanites are fiscally conservative but moderate or liberal on social policy. People like that would have a hard time voting for a party they thought was a bunch of closet Dixiecrats.
0 Replies

Slimmerson

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:21 pm
If you look at this from the Republicans side, what difference would it really make if he steps down, he has been a friend to the Democrats most of his career. He has pitched them soft balls when when a good fast hard ball would have clenched it for his side.
Think about the impeachment proceedings when he refused to call witnesses that would have clinched the impeachment. He has been in the middle most of his career and not really a good Republican if you want to call it that.
I am thinking we would be better off if he would just hop on down the road like a good little fence hopper that he has proven himself to be. Good riddance, but does it really make a difference? I don't think so unless all the racist people are purged from politics.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:28 pm
First, the impeachment was never clinched. That it was a farce is no doubt.

Secondly, the clock is ticking on GWB. If he doesn't come out telling Lott to get lost, and soon - everyday he doesn't is more baggage!

And thirdly, "unless all the racist people are purged from politics." There goes the southern Republican caucus.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:29 pm
Patiodog,
...I don't expect him to become Adam Clayton Powell, but on certain borderline cases, I think there will certainly be an effect. If only to hamper his forcefulness.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:33 pm
(just bein' salty, booman.;-})
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:36 pm
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh - salty dog! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/ernaehrung/ernaehrung009.gif
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:42 pm
I've noticed that about you in several threads here lately, Patiodog. I'm scared of you, Dude! Surprised Smile Thank God for this editing thingie! Embarrassed :wink:
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:46 pm
Dreary, useless week. Er, girlfriend.

Anyway, back to Sen. Lott, and his pillar-of-salt-y wife...
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 06:57 pm
Now you thop it thilly
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 08:06 pm
Slimmerson

Do I know you? You look familiar.

I never remember a face but I can't forget a pumpkin! Laughing
0 Replies