Does "defied the scientific community" mean "seriously despised the scientific community"?

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 05:54 am

Context:

Psychohistory

Ever since the end of the Second World War, Hitler and the main Nazi leaders have defied the scientific community: how does one explain the psychology of politicians responsible for the worst atrocities and showing no remorse for their actions? Psychohistory, the discipline that combines psychology and history, posited the existence of a direct correlation between the intensity of the Nazi extremists’ psychological disturbances and the intensity of their cruelty (Friedländer, 1978 ). But such a model cannot be generalised. Many patients suffering from severe mental disorders do not
show any sign of violence towards their environment.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:04 am
@oristarA,
The word "Defied" in this context simply means went against. They didn't follow what the scientific community was saying.

The word is meant to be a little strong, but it doesn't mean "despised" (in the sense of hated or felt animosity for).
0 Replies

engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:20 am
@oristarA,
I read this as saying "Hitler's behavior did not fit the scientific community's understanding of how humans are supposed to act." Hilter's behavior defied (went against) the community's understanding.

The way it is written "Hitler defied community" would normally mean that he acted against the wishes or beliefs of the community but I don't think that is what is intended here.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 07:26 am
Thank you both.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 04:14 pm
@oristarA,

It's a misuse of the word, in a badly written sentence.

Trust your dictionary, and avoid quasi-academic claptrap like the plague.

(unless you're trying to translate it, in which case you have my sympathy.)
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 04:23 pm
@McTag,
Is the phrase being misued McTag? (I don't dispute that the passage in general is poorly written).

I think the phrase is commonly used in other contexts, i.e. "Republican members of congress routinely defy the scientific community on issues from global warming to the age of the Earth."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 04:47 pm
If something defies explanation or description, then it is very difficult or impossible to explain or describe. I think that this usage of defy is what the author of the original piece may have had in mind, although they used it clumsily.
oristarA

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2012 10:15 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

If something defies explanation or description, then it is very difficult or impossible to explain or describe. I think that this usage of defy is what the author of the original piece may have had in mind, although they used it clumsily.

Your explanation has made it clearer.
Would you mind to rewrite the clumsy sentence in natural English, Contrex?
contrex

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2012 08:30 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

It could start "Ever since the end of the Second World War, the task of explaining Hitler and the main Nazi leaders has defied the efforts of the scientific community..."
oristarA

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 08:24 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

It could start "Ever since the end of the Second World War, the task of explaining Hitler and the main Nazi leaders has defied the efforts of the scientific community..."

Thanks.
But the sentence that follows is: how does one explain the psychology of politicians responsible for the worst atrocities and showing no remorse for their actions?

It seems that yours "explaining" and the"explain" above repeats itself and is thus not concise enough.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 11:36 am
@oristarA,
You can substitute "explain" in the second sentence with "treat."
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2012 12:04 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

It seems that yours "explaining" and the"explain" above repeats itself and is thus not concise enough.

It is not inconcise; just inelegant. I leave its revision as an exercise for you.

0 Replies