Favorite pasta under budget

xperimentalchef

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 01:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Next time you whip yourself this sauce for lasagna, or whatever, try adding nutmeg. Its just a simple addition, but I'm never far without it.

Nutmeg is born to compliment cream-based things. Think Egg Nog Smile
ossobuco

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 01:51 pm
You're right - I apologize.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 01:57 pm
@xperimentalchef,
Yes, I like nutmeg in cream based things too. I only relatively recently learned it's smart to have the "nut" - my word, I don't know what it's called - at hand instead of powder in a jar.

I just looked up nutmeg on google - apparently it is another way people get high.
Well, not from lasagna.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 02:02 pm
@ehBeth,
That's also an italian take, at least from Tuscany. I remember my first wonderful pasta at a small inn, not the ingredients exactly, but that the saucing was quite spare relative to what a lot of americans are used to. It was a tomato sauce, but the sauce didn't flow, it clung, not in great clumps either or even a red coating.

edit to go on a bit - regions and even towns and families in towns vary. I've never been to the south, sadly, but Siena and Naples are way different.
ossobuco

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 07:18 pm
I prefer my food spicy too.

I'm odd, have low level, close to nothing, sense of smell (tested at a university med center; my father didn't have a sense of smell either), but I insist my taste buds are swell. People assume I can't taste but if I can't taste, I have a bunch of miracles going on. I'm probably poor at discerning some herbs, and part of my love of high spice may be related.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 07:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Maybe that's how I learned to like pasta. I hated it as a kid. Hated tomato sauce. Hated any form of ground meat. Hated noodles.

Lived with marvellous Sicilian neighbours for years. Learned to really really like pasta the way Joe and Rosario made it - very sparsely sauced. Not naked, but not swimming in sauce. Good chunks of lightly cooked veggies - and always, a light dressing of very good olive oil, s&p. Actually the best pasta was something they made for Julia, the beloved niece/granddaughter (Bailey as a puppy always got a share too) - teeny tiny pasta simmered in milk, and served with a skim of freshly grated parm. Simple. Perfect.
ossobuco

Tue 27 Nov, 2012 08:26 pm
@ehBeth,
That all sounds right to me.

Edit to say I was wrong on what I started to say, re spareness of sauce and north and south. Just plain wrong.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 28 Nov, 2012 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
To Pancake and others, I'm sorry if I snuffled you early on.
I am very happy you're here.
0 Replies

firefly

Thu 29 Nov, 2012 09:23 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Actually the best pasta was something they made for Julia, the beloved niece/granddaughter (Bailey as a puppy always got a share too) - teeny tiny pasta simmered...

The tiny pasta is called Pastina. And you just reminded me that I used to cook it for one of my dogs, when she was a wee puppy, to mix with her meat.

I also like Orzo and prefer it to rice in many dishes.
ossobuco

Thu 29 Nov, 2012 09:36 am
@firefly,
Me too.
0 Replies

juliapeter47

Mon 6 May, 2013 07:43 am
You will find greens buffets in most restaurants or maybe obtain grilled produce (verdure grigliate) as a aspect bowl. The vast majority of primary lessons are vegetarian, nevertheless, you will not point out but if your husband makes for milk products -- there may be dairy products within pesto for example. Dishes having pinto and black beans or maybe comparable (chickpeas, lentils) are certainly not popular or maybe not to typical out from the winter weather.
You could obtain pizzas without having dairy products.
Fresh fruit snow cream works intended for vegetarians and for that reason is granite, rather typical inside Southerly.
0 Replies

JohnSmith33

Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:48 pm
@xperimentalchef,
Pasta are in unlimited effects your body definetly.Its better to eat those who will give you some proteins and give engy and try eating vegetablw instead of meat.Another option for you to enjoy the taste is pizza where lot of pezzas and cheese are there.
0 Replies