Metaphysics

Julito

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2012 07:29 pm
what is the distinction between metaphysical knowledge and other kinds of human knowledge?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,833 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2012 03:06 pm
@Julito,
Metaphysics is less certain,more abstract though it is a form of human knowledge

Of course Jul you know about OneLook and Google
0 Replies

Julito

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 01:13 am
@Julito,
i really find it difficult to pick one of the thousand suggestions from the internet. next week is my report in our comprehensive exam and still i haven't yet finish doing it.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2012 11:46 am
@Julito,
Yea Juli I can well understand your reluctance to wade through it

Wondering how long your comp s/b, how many words you need, how the upcoming exam figures into your dilemma
0 Replies

Abstroose

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:46 am
I wouldn't worry about picking one of the thousands of suggestions on Google. It's very abstract and hard to pinpoint and I'm sure it is largely open to interpretation.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2012 04:40 pm
@Abstroose,
Coincidentally Abs when faced by the prospect of scrolling Google I oft use the very same excuse
0 Replies

democritus

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 07:02 am
@Julito,
In the modern Western philosophy metaphysics is to be understood as a branch of philosophy which in turn have two sub-branches: A- Ontology is the theory of existing and B- Epistemology is the theory of knowledge.
democritus

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 07:26 am
@democritus,
In the modern Western philosophy metaphysics is to be understood as a branch of philosophy which in turn have two sub-branches: A- Ontology is the theory of existing and B- Epistemology is the theory of knowledge.

The “metaphysical knowledge” is an ambiguous term since there is no universally agreed definition of “knowledge”. That is why we have epistemology or the theory of knowledge.

By definition “knowledge” ought to be a true belief with good reason, whereas “other kinds of human knowledge” - I take it to be “other kinds of human belief” for the reason that, these beliefs or “so-called knowledge” have not been tested properly to prove that they are really true beliefs or so-called true knowledge and we have indeed good reason believing in them.

Remember that we may believe something for the wrong reason but it may turn out to be true - this is not considered to be “knowledge” in modern Western philosophy.
0 Replies