Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 04:27 pm
I'm having difficulty grasping the concept. Can anyone enlighten me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,014 • Replies: 35

JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 04:36 pm
@RUNN1NG EMOT10N,
To me, metaphysics consists of our most basic presuppositions. They are what we start with, and they are fundamentally arbitrary.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:04 pm
@RUNN1NG EMOT10N,
Metaphysics is that branch of philosophy which is basically concerned with questions of the nature of being. "What is real?" is a metaphysical question, for example. You'd be surprised how many possible answers there are to that and many other questions.
Smile
Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:17 pm
@RUNN1NG EMOT10N,
While I was in college I was kicked out of a Metaphysics exam for looking into the soul of the person sitting next to me.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 05:43 pm
@Ragman,
As well you should'a been. Serves you right for cheating like that.
0 Replies

RUNN1NG EMOT10N

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 10:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
My mom was talking about how the universe is all connected by energy and stuff like that. She said that it was a metaphysical outlook, but what you guys are saying doesn't add up with that.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 11:17 pm
@RUNN1NG EMOT10N,
Metaphysics might also include theories that are not subject to any kind of falsification or affirmation, belief in the existence of souls, for example.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:04 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Metaphysics might also include theories that are not subject to any kind of falsification or affirmation, belief in the existence of souls, for example.

Might?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
I suppose with "might" instead of "do" he unsuccessfully intended to refer to the continued proliferation and integration of those, as they are a process in time, although I didn't quite understood what "affirmation" meant in there...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 11:14 am
@RUNN1NG EMOT10N,
For a long time, one of the biggest failures in dictionaries were words like metaphysics:
Quote:
met·a·phys·ic
   [met-uh-fiz-ik] Show IPA
noun
metaphysics.
adjective
metaphysical.
Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English metaphisik < Medieval Latin metaphysica (neuter plural); see metaphysics

Related forms
un·met·a·phys·ic, adjective

This was usually what was published in the dictionaries I read to just help me get an idea on the concept. Thankfully they added more then just a very vague self-aware definition.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:38 pm
@RUNN1NG EMOT10N,
RUNN1NG EMOT10N wrote:

My mom was talking about how the universe is all connected by energy and stuff like that. She said that it was a metaphysical outlook, but what you guys are saying doesn't add up with that.

Well, if we're talking about the philosophical concept of the inter-relatedness of everything then, yes, the notion that everything in the universe is connected by an energy flow would be a part of metaphysics.

If you take the word 'metaphysics' apart, all it means is 'beyond physics' or 'more than physics' (or make up your own translation Smile). The point is that any study of metaphysics goes beyond what can be proven by a scientist (a pysicist, in this case) working on a specific problem. It involves more than just research and proving the validity of a theory. It involves a large amount of speculation, guided sometimes by nothing more than intuition. So your mom's not entirely wrong, but there's a lot more to it than that.
RUNN1NG EMOT10N

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:20 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you. That certainly cleared it up for me. That last part about being guided by no more than intuition reminded me of religion.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:24 pm
@RUNN1NG EMOT10N,
Actually the dividing line between metaphysics and theology is pretty thin.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:53 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I recon a nice suit is a pretty thin line, and I guess Metaphysics it is just that, Theology in a smart suit...but while this certainly it is not a compliment to Metaphysics, still it isn't that big a critic of Theology either...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:00 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Whatever metaphor works is fine with me. Wink
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I find all quite entertaining and amusing, particularly when reading the usually flamed and invigorated marching speeches, of those very promising young souls, insistently knocking on heavens door with a truck full of sand hoping someone will attend...
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Well, of course, it's difficult to construct a working model of one's perceived universe without recourse to metaphysics in some form, even if it's no more than a negation and denial of all previously existing systems. The greatest minds of the 19th Century found it quite impossible.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Philosophy is the washed down version of it, working exactly like light, it shows us the way, but it has a speed limit...
...as for science, well science likes to go up and down ladders without very much knowing where the damn ground is... Mr. Green
0 Replies

RUNN1NG EMOT10N

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:58 pm
I'm barely keeping up with you guys!
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 02:51 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Well, of course, it's difficult to construct a working model of one's perceived universe without recourse to metaphysics in some form, even if it's no more than a negation and denial of all previously existing systems. The greatest minds of the 19th Century found it quite impossible.

We shoulda heard an "ouch" from Fil after this one! Wink
0 Replies