GOP Chief in Maine: OMG! Black people voted!

DrewDad

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:29 am
GOP chief: Mystery black voters

Quote:

“In some parts of rural Maine, there were dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on Election Day,” Charlie Webster told Portland, Maine’s NBC affiliate on Wednesday. “Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in town knows anyone who’s black. How did that happen? I don’t know. We’re going to find out.”

The GOP really needs to have a conference call about how sometimes the best idea is just to shut the hell up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 3,012 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:42 am
I thought darkies was banned from Maine.

Ah-yup
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:44 am
@Setanta,
probably some Quebecois blood in the mix there
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:47 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

GOP chief: Mystery black voters

Quote:

“In some parts of rural Maine, there were dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on Election Day,” Charlie Webster told Portland, Maine’s NBC affiliate on Wednesday. “Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in town knows anyone who’s black. How did that happen? I don’t know. We’re going to find out.”

The GOP really needs to have a conference call about how sometimes the best idea is just to shut the hell up.

Can the New Englanders in Maine all discern a Black person from someone from descendants of the non-Northern European countries?

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:32 pm
@DrewDad,
I'd seen this headline elsewhere and new the broad outlines, but I hadn't seen the actual quote:

Quote:
“Everybody has a right to vote, but nobody in town knows anyone who’s black. How did that happen? I don’t know. We’re going to find out.”

Holy ******* crap. I mean, WOW.
aspvenom

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:42 pm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:44 pm
@sozobe,
*knew
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:12 pm
@sozobe,
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:18 pm
Still waiting for evidence any ineligible voters cast votes in that state.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
[...] Hallowell Town Clerk Deanna Mosher Hallett, outgoing president of the Maine Town and City Clerks' Association, said she hasn't heard about any Election Day problems from clerks around the state.

"If there is enough chatter out there, I'd hear about it," she said. "Everything went smoothly."
[...]
Webster, a former lawmaker from Farmington who has said he will step down as party chairman when his term ends in December, has made similar claims in the past.

He has long complained that Maine elections are too loose and open to voter fraud.

Last year, he targeted college students when he alleged that more than 200 had voted in recent elections without establishing residency in the places where they voted.

The Secretary of State's Office reviewed Webster's allegations and found no instances of fraud.

Webster, however, remains unconvinced.

"I just think that the system, without some kind of ID or some kind of way to check, is fraught for abuse," he said Wednesday.[...]
Source
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 04:49 pm
Fraught for abuse? Is that English? Is this guy some kind of alien?
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 04:58 pm
Dozens!!!! Wow!!!!! Dozens!!!!!! Really?????? OMG!!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:54 pm
Somebody got their ass handed to them today..

aterkel Maine GOP chair apologizes: "my comments...had the unintended consequence of casting aspersions on an entire group of Americans"
about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite

aterkel Maine GOP chair apology: "I will not be sending out any mailers to try to determine whether the addresses of recent registrants are valid "
about 1 minute ago · reply · retweet · favorite

aterkel More Maine GOP chair apology: "I want to make clear that my remarks do not express the values of the Maine Republican Party"
50 seconds ago · reply · retweet · favorite

0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:55 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
. . . Can the New Englanders in Maine all discern a Black person from
someone from descendants of the non-Northern European countries?
OMG!
Could it be . . .

Sicilians???
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 05:57 pm
@George,
****, I love Sicilians.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, wait, I don't live in Maine.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:25 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Fraught for abuse? Is that English? Is this guy some kind of alien?

Unfortunately, he is not that uncommon.

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:06 pm
Watch Colorado Poll Watcher Report ‘High Concentration of People of Color’

Quote:
Before election results came in, Arapahoe was considered the swing county in the swing state of Colorado. Roughly a third of the county’s voters are registered Republicans, a third are registered Democrats, and the remaining third are independents. The county and the state ultimately swung to reelect President Obama—and voters of color had a crucial voice in that decision.

Law enforcement and poll workers in other Colorado counties had already harassed Latino canvassers and early voters. And on Election Day, Arapahoe County voters experienced very long lines, and rumors began to emerge about possible voter challengers.

When I arrived to Arapahoe’s Aurora CenterPoint voting center, people were braving chilling temperatures to wait their turn to cast a ballot. A handful of volunteers handed out water bottles, some cups of coffee, and even pizza to thirsty and hungry voters—and their sometimes exhausted kids—in line.

Shortly afterwards, I noticed a man wearing a suit with a distinguishable US flag tie, who seemed especially irritated as he walked around the voting center, sometimes looking at people in line and turning red with anger. Long after the doors were closed, and the final batch of voters were casting their ballots, this gentleman made two phone calls to report what he had observed—all within earshot of several voters and poll workers, who sometimes stared at him in confusion or disbelief.

The man, who later identified himself to me as Republican poll watcher Dayton Conway, complained not only about the water and pizza handed to voters in line, but also about what he said was the disproportionate amount of people of color who were casting ballots.

According to the 2010 census, “White persons not Hispanic” made up less than 50 percent of Aurora’s population—and that’s a big change from just 20 years ago previously, when they made up nearly 80 percent of the city’s population. In some ways, Aurora is a present day microcosm of this country’s demographic future, which is shifting towards a numerical majority of people of color.

Conway, meanwhile, was in denial about his city’s population, and frustrated that so many people of color cast their ballots at the CenterPoint voting center. Many did so because Colorado’s Secretary of State, Republican Scott Gessler, encouraged voters in several counties, including Arapahoe, to use voting centers anywhere in the county, instead of assigned polling stations. That means people driving to and from work could stop by at a location most convenient to them—and they did.

Conway’s comments and physical irritability didn’t seem to deter any voters from casting their ballots during the three or so hours I was there. But his statements do illustrate some of what’s wrong with far-right poll watchers like the True the Vote group, which insists there’s rampant voter fraud despite any real evidence to support its claims. What Aurora’s voters proved last night was that they recognized their right to cast a ballot, and they weren’t swayed by people who think otherwise.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 07:09 pm
@George,
HEY!!! Watch it man. My grandparents were Sicilians.
contrex

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 04:56 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
My grandparents were Sicilians.

That's your story and you're sticking to it... Mind you, Dennis Hopper sorted that out in "True Romance".