Does "it" refer to "DNA sequence"?

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 10:48 pm

Context:

At this point, godless materialists might be cheering. If humans evolved strictly by mutation and natural selection, who needs God to explain us? To this, I reply: I do. The comparison of chimp and human sequences, interesting as it is, does not tell us what it means to be human.

In my view, DNA sequence alone, even if accompanied by a vast trove of data on biological function, will never explain certain special human attributes, such as the knowledge of the Moral Law and the universal search for God. Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation does not remove Him as the source of the things that make humanity special, and of the universe itself. It merely shows us something of how He operates.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
laughoutlood

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:46 am
@oristarA,
no
0 Replies

Ceili
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:00 am
@oristarA,
yes.
0 Replies

njpchevorlet

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:01 am
@oristarA,
I dont think that we have a endless search for God because of any spirit, I personally believe the reason that we search is not to find a God, but because we are conscious of the fact that one day we will die so we try to find something to believe in whether it be God or some other sort of superior being, and by doing so this brings a level of comfort to us with the most personal thing that will ever happen to us. And im not skeptical about anything I believe that anything is possible, I just have very little faith.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:07 am
@oristarA,
Since we're not wasting words here, Yes.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:18 am
@oristarA,
How utterly

"It" is referential to freeing god notwithstanding.
Ceili

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:21 am
@laughoutlood,
I disagree. It is about DNA the rest of the bunk is about god.
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 01:27 am
@oristarA,
Is it a grammar mistake by the author?

I think a semicolon is more appropriate than a punctuation mark to split the two independent clauses.

Quote:
Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation does not remove Him as the source of the things that make humanity special, and of the universe itself; It merely shows us something of how He operates.

The reason I think that semicolon is more appropriate is because it forms a bond between the two independent statements that are related in a contrasting way with each other.

In that context it makes sense to connect the meaning of "it" as follows:
"It" = "Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation"

I think the chatter about DNA sequence was to give a concrete example to better convey his general idea on the matter at hand, which I think is trying to show the connection between faith in science and faith in divine.
aspvenom

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 12:34 pm
@oristarA,
A simple Google search would have answered your question.

http://www.englishforums.com/English/DoesMeansHumanMeanMeaningHumans-Life/bcxhxd/post.htm

I agree with Enzo, and another poster in the English forum.

'it' = Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation
oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 07:51 pm
@Enzo,
Enzo wrote:

Is it a grammar mistake by the author?

I think a semicolon is more appropriate than a punctuation mark to split the two independent clauses.

Quote:
Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation does not remove Him as the source of the things that make humanity special, and of the universe itself; It merely shows us something of how He operates.

The reason I think that semicolon is more appropriate is because it forms a bond between the two independent statements that are related in a contrasting way with each other.

In that context it makes sense to connect the meaning of "it" as follows:
"It" = "Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation"

I think the chatter about DNA sequence was to give a concrete example to better convey his general idea on the matter at hand, which I think is trying to show the connection between faith in science and faith in divine.

Excellent!

Thank you.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 07:51 pm
@aspvenom,
aspvenom wrote:

A simple Google search would have answered your question.

http://www.englishforums.com/English/DoesMeansHumanMeanMeaningHumans-Life/bcxhxd/post.htm

I agree with Enzo, and another poster in the English forum.

'it' = Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation

Thanks.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 07:53 pm
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

How utterly

"It" is referential to freeing god notwithstanding.

Thanks. But isn't it better to put it in your first reply, which somehow made the reader thought you're off-topic.
JTT

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 08:01 pm
@oristarA,
ORIGINAL: In my view, DNA sequence alone, even if accompanied by a vast trove of data on biological function, will never explain certain special human attributes, such as the knowledge of the Moral Law and the universal search for God. Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation does not remove Him as the source of the things that make humanity special, and of the universe itself. It merely shows us something of how He operates.

==============

DNA sequence alone will never explain certain special human attributes. It merely shows us something of how He operates.

Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation does not remove Him as the source of the things that make humanity special, and of the universe itself. It merely shows us something of how He operates.

====================

DNA sequence alone will never explain certain special human attributes.
Freeing God from the burden of special acts of creation does not remove Him as the source of the things that make humanity special, and of the universe itself.

All this taken together [= It] merely shows us something of how He operates.

Veeerrrrrry interesting.
0 Replies

knowpronto

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 05:00 am
@oristarA,
No it is not refered to DNA sequence
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2012 04:08 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

That is unsurprisingly especially amusing of you given you awarded the red ribbon to the next poster for simply saying yes after I simply said no.
0 Replies