If A2K Were A Movie

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 11:55 am
@tsarstepan,
not much of a film guy eh
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh, Lordy, of all people I thought you would know!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Magnani
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Moreau
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:25 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

not much of a film guy eh

My expertise lies in movies from the past decade.
Roberta

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, Kinda surprised you don't know about Magnani or Moreau. But then again, you didn't know about Fort Apache, the Bronx.

I, on the other hand, don't know what's going on currently in cinema. If we ever have a cinema discussion, we'll have to meet in the middle somewhere.
djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 12:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
i picture Michael Parks from Kill Bill volume 2

http://mlkshk.com/r/JAE7
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:03 pm
@Roberta,
I want to get in on that, which is unlikely re traveling that far, and such a discussion is more fun in person, possibly at table in a restaurant where you can hear yourselves talk.

My ex and I watched movies at the dear departed Fox Venice theater, two flics a night for $1.50. Those were the days. We sometimes went three times a week. The movies changed daily, and were almost always pairs that made sense being shown together. I have a pretty good visual memory and a miserable storyline memory, so now when I look back at some of those movies, I'm only seeing one scene, say, somewhere in France. Or Rome - I saw all those movies before I got to be italy crazed, but they probably bolstered my enthusiasm once I got there. I'd probably run around France waving my arms in happiness, if I won the lottery and took a trip. (I've flown over, if that counts for a penny.) Have seen some good German and English movies too. Oh, and many Japanese oldies. Not that I think those countries are in any way perfect, au contraire, but I've always loved travelogues even as a kid, and some travel writing as an adult. Depends on the writer.

Anyway, Tsar, consider seeing some of the italian neorealism films. You might hate them, they often have a strong pov going on.

I'd be seeing some more recent movies now on my computer if I had more moolah and I am guessing Roberta is in the same boat. Plus I'm Ms. Picky. I had a list of wannasees going on with Netflix but I had to scrap that as a project.

edit - oops, left out Irish and Scottish movies. Skipped Scandinavian.. they usually mystified me.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:09 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

tsar, Kinda surprised you don't know about Magnani or Moreau. But then again, you didn't know about Fort Apache, the Bronx.

I, on the other hand, don't know what's going on currently in cinema. If we ever have a cinema discussion, we'll have to meet in the middle somewhere.

You and me both, Roberta. Unless it's a Spielberg movie, I probably never heard of it if it came out in this century.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:10 pm
@djjd62,
Actually, dj, that's a dead ringer for me!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 02:24 pm
@djjd62,
I've always liked Michael Pollard. Reminds me of an old friend at work, that guy very smart and funny and kind. He drove a - - what was the name of that uglyass car? I'll have to go look it up on some website about ugly cars of the last century.

Found it - it was a Gremlin.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/image/007_germlin.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I bought a Gremlin, off the dealer lot. Only brand new car I ever bought. It had flaws, being an American Motors product, but it hugged the road and was a pleasure to drive. I loved it and the way it looked.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 03:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
At that time American Motors made the only decent American vehicles. Gremlin was a pretty good car. My father drove nothing but Ramblers for years and years -- until American Motors went out of business, in fact.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hugged the road? I'd not heard that. Could make sense just looking at it. People were too busy laughing. Not to be mean and I'm not mechanically smart about cars much.

djjd62

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
my dad had one of these

http://gomotors.net/pics/AMC/amc-pacer-x-03.jpg

crazy hot in the summer, like driving around under a magnifying glass
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:05 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I also had an AMC Ambassador. A big car with the engine made by Chrysler. I loved that one too.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
please tell me you are not a pacer fan.

I don't think I could go on living as I am...

(edit)

jeez.

somehow I knew it would be didja...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I drove my Gremlin a bit too fast, always. But I always felt in complete control. My first wife told me if I still had it when we met she would have loved me even sooner.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:08 pm
Pacer had to be one of the biggest mistakes in history. I never wanted anything like that. I wanted a Concord for a time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:08 pm
@ossobuco,
This guy was raised in a block of houses far away that birthed some respected movie writers and producers. When I say he was funny, I mean it.
Neatest thing about him was his quiet kindness to all, not just patients.

Anyway, when I saw MJPollard on screen, I connected them visually.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:13 pm
My Ambassador looked pretty much like this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvrQZZnMQ-2csMXx_CEBJpJX5Tbv-MEJu7WkF7c-DTXBPt2TH1mA
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 04:46 pm
@djjd62,
Yeah, AC was definitely not standard equipment back then.

Damn' fine looking vehicle, though.
0 Replies