MOVIE HELP

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 04:42 pm
I saw a late movie on a cable station (A local "Antiques movies and record shorts station). It featured Charles Laughton (I think , as I was half asleep). He was in the North Country with some people and it looked like it coulda been WWII time.
Any ideas of one of his movie? I can find titles but no substantive information

A much desired red dot can be your sif you answer my question smartly and no shittin around,( Roger, that means you. "first start with a pollo")
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,282 • Replies: 21
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by farmerman
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 04:53 pm
I did a search. I give up.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:16 pm
Advise & Consent
Green Witch

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:35 pm
@farmerman,
Check out This Land is Mine

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036431/
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:39 pm
@jespah,
kidding right?
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:40 pm
@Green Witch,
no,this waa definately in the North Country, kinda like Canadin wilderness stuff.

Maybe it wasnt Laughton, hmmmm
Green Witch

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:43 pm
@farmerman,
OOps, thought by North Country you meant Northern Europe.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:47 pm
probably not this (too early)

http://cdn102.iofferphoto.com/img/item/145/931/313/boDOou5atAIdclh.jpg

but I'll take any excuse to pimp one of my favourite movies from a favourite book
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 05:53 pm
@ehBeth,
nope, Im familiar with the Ruggles's
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:01 pm
@farmerman,
I wasn't - I read the OP as North Carolina, not North Country. Oops.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:06 pm
@jespah,
you guys are starting to interpret everything I write as a typo. Im going to have to re-evaluate my sloppy spelling
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:14 pm
@farmerman,
Is it Northern Pursuit (1943)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036218/
http://www.reelz.com/trailer-clips/47331/northern-pursuit-trailer/

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:04 pm
@Enzo,
no, It was not Errol Flynn, even though I was half asleep I seemed to recognize this voice that was like an englishman with a guttoral sounding voice and a mouth full of marbles. I was almost certain it was LAughton
nextone

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:12 pm
@farmerman,
I love Charles Laughton! Haven't any idea of the movie you're seeking, but you might try calling or e-mailing the TV station. Give them the date and time movie aired, and I suspect they'd get back to you with the answer.
farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:14 pm
@nextone,
duhh, Jeezus Christ , now ya tell me, Im holding off awarding you the beloved red dot in case someone does come up with the movies name
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 01:46 am
@farmerman,
I immediately assume north country is northern Britain!
0 Replies

izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 04:30 am
Is it Wolves?

Quote:
Wolves is a 1930 British crime film directed by Albert de Courville and starring Charles Laughton, Dorothy Gish and Malcolm Keen. A woman is captured by a gang of criminals operating in the Arctic. It was based on a play by Georges Toudouze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_(1930_film)
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:38 am
@izzythepush,
hmmm, this may be it. Im gonna find LAughtons filmography and see what the plot line of Wolves is about
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:43 am
@izzythepush,
YEP THAT WAS IT!!! whew, I need answers on stuff like this or I obsess over it and I gotta do some things not related to movies. Heres a plot line
Quote:
Adapted from a stage play and set in the frozen North, this early British talkie (it was released in the UK in May 1930) features Dorothy Gish as a girl who is saved from privation and death in Labrador by a gang of outlaws ruled by Charles Laughton. She is nursed back to health by a young doctor but all the men desire to possess her and draw lots. Laughton, as the leader, is more human than the others: he fakes the draw and plans to help her escape. She flees the camp in an open-boat during a blizzard while Laughton holds the desperadoes at bay until he dies and the gang is blown up by an explosion. Dorothy Gish acquits herself well in the leading role but most of the male players are sadly miscast. Laughton tries to temper his performance with humour but this destroys the virility of his role.

Several years later, with Laughton now famous as a Hollywood star, the 57-minute original movie was reduced to a cut-down version lasting 37 minutes and released in the States under the title "Wanted Men". When one of the other actors in the film heard this he vowed to save up and buy all the existing prints with the idea of making a bonfire of them

Well, I didnt say it was a great movie but Im a sucker for anything about the "Frozen North"
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 07:43 am
@farmerman,
I know exactly what you mean. I'm still trying to find out what film starred an early Harrison Ford as a spaceman smuggler who helps out a young knight with his aging mentor rescue a princess from a death star. It's driving me mad.