CIA Chief Petraeus resigns as result of extra-marital affair

JTT

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:43 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
You know once more I can only wonder at the very very bright and highly educated individuals who can not do a little research on the net to learn ...

You know, Bill, you Americans can hardly open your mouths without exposing your rampant hypocrisy. You can't/won't/refuse to do a little research on the net to learn just how pervasive are US terrorism and war crimes.

And it's so simple to find. Officials are constantly making admissions that the CIA is in all the trouble spots. They are there because that's their job - to cause the trouble. That's terrorism!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:58 pm
Quote:
Paula Broadwell, the woman reported to be having an affair with CIA Director David Petraeus, sent harassing emails to State Department official, the AP reported.

Jill Kelley, the woman who received emails from Broadwell that prompted her to alert FBI, reportedly works as a State Department military liaison.

According to the Washington Post, the woman was "frightened" for her safety and contacted the FBI for protection. The Post describes the emails as "threatening."
More
JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:28 pm
Very interesting read...

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/petraeus-cult-2/
engineer

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:34 pm
@JPB,
What the heck is the FBI doing leaking information to the press?
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:35 pm
@JPB,
The state department had it won security people also that you would think the woman would turn to but in any case we see why she got a hearing from the FBI.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:36 pm
@engineer,
Not FBI. Military.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — A senior U.S. military official says the author who had an affair with David Petraeus sent harassing emails to a woman who was the State Department's liaison to the military's Joint Special Operations Command.

The official says 37-year-old Jill Kelley in Tampa, Fla., received the emails from Petraeus biographer Paula Broadwell that triggered an FBI investigation.

The official was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:55 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
”David Petraeus will be remembered as the finest officer of his generation, and as the commander who turned the Iraq War around,”

How does one turn a gargantuan war crime around? The only way for Petraeus to rectify such a situation would have been if he had personally arrested those responsible for yet another [ho hum] US brutal assault on an innocent country. But that would have required a massive number of arrests, his own included.

And now y'all are focused on this silly little dalliance. All to avoid the big, really ******* ugly picture that you allowed/encouraged/cheered/regularly attempt to downplay/[other equally unsavory descriptions] - take your pick.

For shame!

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:59 pm
@JTT,
And then there's the counter narrative.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mhastings/the-sins-of-general-david-petraeus

How David Petraeus will be remembered has yet to be determined.
Thomas

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 06:07 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I still can't figure out why this was brought to Eric Cantor.

Because the point of whistle-blowing is for the public to hear your whistle. You want to blow it into an amplifier, not a muffler, and Cantor was a predictably powerful amplifier.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 06:50 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Or, that in 2004, during the middle of a presidential election, Petraeus wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post, supporting President Bush and saying that the Iraq policy was working. The policy wasn’t working, but Bush repaid the general’s political advocacy by giving him the top job in the war three years later.

Are military members allowed to campaign for those running for political office?

I'm only a little more than half way through and this is a stunning indictment of just how evil this portion of America is. It's not possible to play with millions of innocents' lives with such callous disregard without being the epitome of evil.

As bad as the spotlight is, there's still the usual "oh poor us".

Why isn't this guy describing what's really important - the fact that the US committed the ultimate of war crimes, illegally invading a sovereign nation.
Following that there were countless more war crimes.

[obviously a rhetorical question. Not too many of you are adult enough to face the facts]

Quote:
How David Petraeus will be remembered has yet to be determined.

You all know how he should be remembered but again, see above.

JTT

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 06:55 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
The reputations of the men who were intimately involved in these years of foreign misadventure—where we tortured and supported torture, armed death squads, conducted nightly assassinations, killed innocents and enabled corruption on an unbelievable scale—lie in tatters. McChrystal, Caldwell, and now Petraeus—the era of the celebrity general is over. Everyone is paying for their sins. (And before we should shed too many tears for the plight of King David and his men, remember they’ll be taken care of with speaking fees and corporate board memberships, rewarded as instant millionaires by the same defense establishment they served so well.)

As it has always been.

Does this evil also trickle down to y'all?

How does it make you feel?
JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 07:08 pm
@JTT,
Of course it does. How does it make me feel? Disgusted, mostly. Unfortunately, it will probably be lost in next week's news cycle.
JTT

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 07:30 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
Unfortunately, it will probably be lost in next week's news cycle.

Not if you seek it keep it front and center, JPB.

If certain acts of violation of treaties are crimes, they are crimes whether the United States does them or whether Germany does them, and we are not prepared to lay down a rule of criminal conduct against others which we would not be willing to have invoked against us.

Robert H Jackson

International Conference on Military Trials, London, 1945, Dept. of State Pub.No. 3080 (1949), p.330.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 09:29 pm
hmmmmm

Quote:
So here is a bizarre twist in the David Petraeus resignation saga.

Paula Broadwell, the biographer revealed as the woman having a secret affair with the now-former CIA director, gave a talk at the University of Denver on Oct. 26 in which she appeared to reveal sensitive, maybe even classified, information about the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi.

The most interesting revelation is her claim that the CIA was holding two Libyan militia members prisoner, which may have prompted the attack. This **** just keeps getting deeper
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 09:40 pm
@JPB,
THIS BROAD KEEPS LOOKING NUTTIER AND NUTTIER!
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:01 am
@hawkeye10,
This is reminding me of the lady astronaut with the BB gun and mace who attacked her rival in an airport parking lot after driving a thousand miles to do so.

In a way it nice to know that women, even bright women, can be as insane as any man when it come to romance/sexual relationships.

I can just see myself trying to explain to my wife such a situation that the good general is finding himself in.

One mistress you might be able to deal with both in regard to your wife and your career but not two when it come out by way of the FBI that one where sending threatening email to the other!!!!!!
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:21 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
This is reminding me of the lady astronaut with the BB gun and mace who attacked her rival in an airport parking lot after driving a thousand miles to do so.

great minds think alike...thought the same thing two days ago. she drove those 1000 miles in a diaper because she did not want to stop to pee, a level of devotion to the mission that I also see with this whack job of a woman.
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 03:53 am
@hawkeye10,
Another question that come to mind over this issue had General Petraeus ever served on a court martial with someone being charge with adultery under military law?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:54 am
@BillRM,
I heard on the radio this morning that Petraeus was not in an affair with the second woman (as reported by a friend of Petraeus who knew about his affair.)
BillRM

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 07:03 am
@engineer,
I hear that also that the second lady was not involved with him however I am taking that with a gain of salt for now.

If there was no such relationship that would mean that he was dumb enough to had picked a lover that were not connected to reality at all.
0 Replies