CIA Chief Petraeus resigns as result of extra-marital affair

BillRM

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 05:32 pm
One thing that does surprise me is that if for example I decided to cheat on my wife I would tend to avoid using any means of communication that would leave records such as email and if I did use email it would not be from my primary account but an account set up for just that one purpose.

You would think that the director of the CIA would handle an affair in a similar manner.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 05:36 pm
@BillRM,
You probably offer some good points, but people like Petreaus are probably not used to "protective" measures when they do stuff out of their sphere of expertise.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:06 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
You would think that the director of the CIA would handle an affair in a similar manner.

The "intelligence" part makes it an oxymoron, Bill, but you, like most Americans are much too duped by lies and propaganda.

John Stockwell on CIA Disinformation, Assassinations, and the U.S. Congress (1987) Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SppM2Sn4TDc

JTT

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 06:12 pm
@JTT,
Part two of the lies of the CIA.

John Stockwell on CIA Disinformation, Assassinations, and the U.S. Congress (1987) Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=X8pve_CGjME&feature=endscreen
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:16 am
This is getting downright bizarre. Cantor? Why would an FBI whistle-blower take this story to Cantor?

Quote:
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor spoke to an FBI whistle-blower two weeks ago who accused then-CIA Director David Petraeus of having an extramarital affair and potentially jeopardizing the security of classified information, according to a news report.
Cantor’s chief of staff, Steve Stombres, later spoke with FBI officials to pass on the accusations from the whistle-blower, the New York Times reported on Saturday night.

But the revelation of Cantor’s role in the scandal - and the emergence of an FBI whistle-blower - raises dramatic new questions about how the bureau conducted what was clearly a hugely sensitive problem, both in terms of the FBI’s relationship with the CIA and what it could mean for the highly esteemed Petraeus.
It also raises the stakes for the political fallout surrounding the scandal. Top CIA officials have been asked to brief members of the House Intelligence Committee next week on what happened and how the case unfolded.

“I was contacted by an F.B.I. employee concerned that sensitive, classified information may have been compromised and made certain [FBI] Director Mueller was aware of these serious allegations and the potential risk to our national security,” Cantor said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83681.html#ixzz2BtbudtyP
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:34 am
I'm starting to get pissed off...

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1199956!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/alg-wife-broadwell.jpg
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 02:24 am
@Joe Nation,
"All In" certainly sounds a bit different now that this affair is publicized. Today, listening to Jon Stewart's interview with her (back in January) for the promotion of that book, it seemed more awkwardly klutzy in light of the recent events unfolding. It gives a whole new meaning to the term "embedded."
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 12:34 pm
@BillRM,
So the investigation started because the woman Petraeus had an affair with sent harassing emails to another woman and in the course of that investigation found evidence of an affair? Wonder how the harassing emails rose to the level a federal investigation?
JTT

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 12:39 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
to his brief tenure at the spy agency

CORRECTION

to his brief tenure at the terrorist agency
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 01:32 pm
I still can't figure out why this was brought to Eric Cantor.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/11/us/petraeus-cia-resignation/
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 02:44 pm
@revelette,
Quote:
Wonder how the harassing emails rose to the level a federal investigation?

The only thing that come to mind is the woman who was the target of the emails was a very important person , of the nature of a congress woman or high officer in the government and or the CIA directer name was included in the email.
Mame

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:07 pm
@BillRM,
Reports say she was frightened and the emails were anonymous. They traced them back to Paula Broadwell and that's when they saw the sexually explicit emails between PB and Petraeus.
Miller

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with you, JP, except that a routine background investigation by the FBI should not be cause for that much panic. It's more likely that the FBI found something in the woman's background that could compromise P's continued access to highly classified materials.

The woman in question threatened the 2nd woman the General was farting around with. No comment from the General's wife, as yet. The question really is, who is the 2nd woman, that she could get the FBI involved in the affairs.
Mame

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:09 pm
@Miller,
All we know is she was one of his co-workers. I think the frightening tone of the emails would be enough to warrant an investigation.
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:28 pm
@Mame,
You know once more I can only wonder at the very very bright and highly educated individuals who can not do a little research on the net to learn for example the methods for sending mail that is truly anonymous and that can not be trace back to their senders.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:31 pm
@BillRM,
It's what happens when the little head overrides the big head.

BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:33 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
All we know is she was one of his co-workers

Co-worker as in the CIA?

Have not read anything like that myself so if you have a link I would be grateful to you for posting it.

Second comment one would think if a CIA employee got threating emails she would turn it over to people in her own agency and not the FBI.

Lot of informations that still need to come out for this story to make sense.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's what happens when the little head overrides the big head.

This is a woman without a penis but I get your drift.
Miller

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:37 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

This is a woman without a penis ...

How unique!
BillRM

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:39 pm
@Miller,
Well she is a west point graduate so you never can be sure.......... Razz
0 Replies