Does "sanction" mean "punish" here?

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:39 am
Context:

Government Sanctions Harvard Psychologist

In 2010, Harvard University psychologist Marc Hauser seemed to be at the pinnacle of his career. His provocative work probing the biological origins of cognition and morality had yielded collaborations with prominent scholars, as well as frequent media attention. And with the recent publication of a popular
book on moral cognition, he had moved into the rarified sphere of the public intellectual.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 08:53 am
@oristarA,
Your contextual sample is confusing/misleading. I had to look up the article to get more details:

Quote:
Scientific Misconduct

Siri Carpenter*

In 2010, a Harvard University investigation concluded that psychologist Marc Hauser had engaged in scientific misconduct. Last week, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Research Integrity confirmed the findings, revealing that Hauser fabricated and falsified methods and data in six federally funded studies. The news brought closure to those who questioned whether Hauser was guilty of any wrongdoing. But because neither investigation indicates which of Hauser's hundreds of publications were investigated, many researchers remain uncertain about how to regard the rest of his work.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/337/6100/1283.summary
Then in this context, sanctions means official rebuke.

Quote:
: the detriment, loss of reward, or coercive intervention annexed to a violation of a law as a means of enforcing the law
a : a consideration, principle, or influence (as of conscience) that impels to moral action or determines moral judgment
b : a mechanism of social control for enforcing a society's standards
c : explicit or official approval, permission, or ratification : approbation

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sanctions

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 09:26 am
Yes. It's a professional rebuke. It's a punishment in that a sanctioned professor is not likely to find further funding for his work and, I suspect, the University will proceed to find ways of getting him to leave the faculty.

It effectively ends his career.

Joe(so sad)Nation
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:23 am
Thank you.
But your replies have given me the impression that the word sanction here is a noun. And obviously the word in the title seems to be a verb.
Officially rebukes = sanctions (here)?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:58 am
@oristarA,
In English, (for the most part), nouns can be used as verbs.
Quote:
In a single work day, we might head a task force, eye an opportunity, nose around for good ideas, mouth a greeting, elbow an opponent, strong-arm a colleague, shoulder the blame, stomach a loss, and finally hand in our resignation. What we're doing with all those body parts is called verbing--using nouns (or occasionally other parts of speech) as verbs.

http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarfaq/f/verbingfaq.htm
contrex

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 12:04 pm
Confusingly for some people, 'sanction' as a verb can also mean "allow" or "permit". Originally a noun from the Latin noun sanctio, meaning "a law or decree that is sacred or inviolable.". A verb "sanction" was created in the 18th century meaning "to allow by law," but it wasn't until the second half of the 20th century that it began to also mean "to punish (for breaking a law)."

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 01:10 pm
@contrex,
Contrex makes an excellent and accurate point.

Joe( good catch)Nation
oristarA

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 07:10 am
@Joe Nation,
contrex wrote:

Confusingly for some people, 'sanction' as a verb can also mean "allow" or "permit". Originally a noun from the Latin noun sanctio, meaning "a law or decree that is sacred or inviolable.". A verb "sanction" was created in the 18th century meaning "to allow by law," but it wasn't until the second half of the 20th century that it began to also mean "to punish (for breaking a law)."

Joe Nation wrote:

Contrex makes an excellent and accurate point.

Joe( good catch)Nation

Of course excellent. But the real question is: how to know the word sanction in a sentence to mean "to allow by law" or "to punish by law?"

Take the title "Government Sanctions Harvard Psychologist" as an example. When it comes to our view for the first time, it seems hard to judge whether it means "to permit" or "to punish" by the law until we've read the context (or already known Marc Haucer's story) and thus deem logically that it refers to the latter.
contrex

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 07:23 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Of course excellent. But the real question is: how to know the word sanction in a sentence to mean "to allow by law" or "to punish by law?"

By attention to the context...

Quote:
Take the title "Government Sanctions Harvard Psychologist" as an example. When it comes to our view for the first time, it seems hard to judge whether it means "to permit" or "to punish" by the law until we've read the context (or already known Marc Haucer's story) and thus deem logically that it refers to the latter.

... as you yourself clearly perceive.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 04:28 pm
We have lots of words that can have two separate and opposite meanings.

They are called Autoantonyms.

The word "fine" can mean satisfactory or okay.
"How are you." "I'm fine."
It can also mean excellent, as in the condition of a thing.
"The three large pieces were graded as 'good' but the little coins were rated 'fine to very fine.'"

One of my favorites is the word "dust".
You can dust a cabinet to remove the dust.
or
You can dust the top of a cake with sugar.
You can also dust a wheat field with chemicals.

If you tell someone to scan a document, they are likely to look at it very closely.
OR
They will skim over the contents of the page and hand it back.
OR
They will put it into their desktop scanner and make a file copy on their computer.

It's all about context.

Does Chinese have words which have two meanings or more, I'm not talking about different tones, I'm asking if there can be two meanings to a word or character?

"Gave out" can mean distributed

or it can mean "stop"
"Her heart just gave out."

Joe(we do this in order to keep Chinese people interested in our language. Mr. Green )Nation

JTT

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
In English, (for the most part), nouns can be used as verbs.

Then doncha think an apology for misleading Ori would be in order, Tsars?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2012 09:57 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
But the real question is: how to know the word sanction in a sentence to mean "to allow by law" or "to punish by law?"

Assuming that Tsars found the same article you referenced, Ori,

Scientific Misconduct

Scientific Misconduct would be pretty much all one needed to determine the intended meaning.

Another that you wouldn't necessarily know, and which I'm not completely sure of at this point, is that 'sanction' with the "good" meaning isn't used for a person. IIIIIIIIIII believe a person sanctioned only carries a negative meaning.

But it's late and my mind is tired. If I'm mistaken, I'm sure that there will be someone who will come along to correct me.

oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:40 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

We have lots of words that can have two separate and opposite meanings.

They are called Autoantonyms.

The word "fine" can mean satisfactory or okay.
"How are you." "I'm fine."
It can also mean excellent, as in the condition of a thing.
"The three large pieces were graded as 'good' but the little coins were rated 'fine to very fine.'"

One of my favorites is the word "dust".
You can dust a cabinet to remove the dust.
or
You can dust the top of a cake with sugar.
You can also dust a wheat field with chemicals.

If you tell someone to scan a document, they are likely to look at it very closely.
OR
They will skim over the contents of the page and hand it back.
OR
They will put it into their desktop scanner and make a file copy on their computer.

It's all about context.

Does Chinese have words which have two meanings or more, I'm not talking about different tones, I'm asking if there can be two meanings to a word or character?

"Gave out" can mean distributed

or it can mean "stop"
"Her heart just gave out."

Joe(we do this in order to keep Chinese people interested in our language. Mr. Green )Nation

Autoantonyms is called 同词反义 in Chinese.

1) means "to buy" or "to sell":

To buy: 二里路外有那市井,何不去些酒来吃(《水浒传》)
To sell: 求善价而诸?(《论语》)

2)means "to buy" or "to sell":

To buy: 愿为鞍马,从此替爷征(《木兰诗》)
To sell: 一人去为 (《童区寄传》)

3)means "to buy" or "to sell":
To buy: 平子每岁马 (《左传》)
To sell: 不至千万 (《汉书》)
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:48 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
But the real question is: how to know the word sanction in a sentence to mean "to allow by law" or "to punish by law?"

Scientific Misconduct

Scientific Misconduct would be pretty much all one needed to determine the intended meaning.

Another that you wouldn't necessarily know, and which I'm not completely sure of at this point, is that 'sanction' with the "good" meaning isn't used for a person. IIIIIIIIIII believe a person sanctioned only carries a negative meaning.

But it's late and my mind is tired. If I'm mistaken, I'm sure that there will be someone who will come along to correct me.

Excellent!
oristarA

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:49 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Scientific Misconduct

Excellent!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 02:46 am
@oristarA,

Quote:

That's the strange thing about it, you can't tell (from the headline alone) until you examine the context.

Headlines are a bit like that sometimes. And sometimes this is deliberate, because it "draws the reader in".

Other words have two opposite meanings: "quite" is one.

EDIT: Shucks, Joe said that awreddy.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:41 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

Don't take that as gospel until it has been reviewed by McTag, Ori. Smile
0 Replies