Progressive Arizona? Is that an oxymoron?

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:22 pm
Arizona Is This Close to Electing an Openly Bisexual Atheist Woman to Congress
http://jezebel.com/5958864/arizona-is-this-close-to-electing-an-openly-bisexual-atheist-woman-to-congress?tag=election-2012

Election update:
Quote:
Kyrsten Sinema for Congress Releases Statement on Growing Lead in AZ09
November 8th, 2012

Phoenix, AZ — Kyrsten Sinema for Congress released the following statement on the updated election results released on Wednesday night, November 7th by the Maricopa County Elections Department:

“We are pleased to see our lead grow to 2,715 votes as additional early votes were counted yesterday. Kyrsten Sinema has won the early vote so far, as well as the election-day vote.

“With tens of thousands of ballots remaining to be counted, we expect to see ups and downs over the next several days. In the end, we are confident that final counts will show Kyrsten Sinema to be the highest vote-getter and she will be sworn into Congress in January.”

http://kyrstensinema.com/

I don't very much about the state and culture of Arizona other then ... ((cough cough)) John McCain... so, is this the closest Arizona has ever come to reasoned sensibility and progress? Or are they so far behind western civilization that even if Sinema gets elected they still have to progress another century before entering the 21st century?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,568 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 01:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
JLNobody lives in Arizona, and he and his wife and I and Diane and Dys have been long time pals, a2kers who met, and who agree on a number of matters though natch not all. Very savvy man, much loved. Ticomaya is from there and is a good human while (I take it) being to the right of those mentioned.
Obviously, there's Gabrielle Giffords - not that I know her particular views on stuff.

A friend used to be an anchor for (was it NBC?) there. My smart ass group of girlfriends had very mixed politics, but this particular one was similar to me.

Which is to say, I don't know Arizona. Does Sedona (whoo woo to me) vote what way?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I figured I remember a few a2kers from Arizona. I was hoping for some enlightening from them regarding the ... good state of Arizona. I know very little about the state and purposefully made the thread a thorn (though a benign one) to get their attention.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know a lot about the state in terms of it's geography and history. Have traveled all through it (although I've never been in Pheonix). But I know virtually nothing about its politics except that I suspect they're largely Red State conservative.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 03:03 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
OK, ok, I'll try to nag JLN to talk. He's a guy who knows social anthro.

Wish me luck.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 08:55 pm
@ossobuco,
O.K., Jo. Here I am. Yep, Arizona is a hopelessly conservative state (I should say condition), and it seems to be getting worse. Friends from California have asked me how I, liberal that I am, can stand to live here in his cesspool (sp?) of conservatism. I answer that it's easy. Indeed, it makes me feel so superior, but I'm sure a John Bircher in San Francisco would say the same thing.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 09:09 pm
@JLNobody,
By the way, how do I find this thread?
roger

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 09:17 pm
@JLNobody,
Since you're not a terribly prolific poster, you might just click on your name (in blue, as the poster) and go to your profile. In the bottom section there is a listing and snapshot of all your posts. Start at the top, which is the most recent, and cruise downwards till you find it.

I know I'm not terribly clear on explanations, so if that needs further explanation, let me know. PMs are also fine.

There are other ways, and someone else may have so many posts that another way would be better.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2012 09:17 pm
@JLNobody,
O.K., I see: in the Politics Forum.
Carrying on. In this election two small miracles occured, the elections to congress of Kirkpatrick and Sinema. Unfortunately, that curse on the state, Arpaio, was reelected. That's one place where dirty money (probably due to Citizens United) worked. But I'm ecstatic to think of Karl Rove and the Koch brothers' misery and loss of money. Arpaio has benefitted us in the sense that he has become a cause celebre for the Hispanic youth of the state. NEXT TIME is bound to be different.
0 Replies