Preference of vehicles

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:17 pm
I have always wondered why people had such a strong preference for one vehicle over another, not why they liked the vehilce, but why they disliked others so much. Like the everlong dispute of Ford VS Chevy, Honda and anyone that drives something different. All have the potential to be great cars, so what experiences have people had with different makes of automobiles, that causes them so absolutley dislike it.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:23 pm
@njpchevorlet,
"All have the potential to be great cars"

you've obviously never driven a pinto. or a vega.

what is it that makes a "great car" in your book?
njpchevorlet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:31 pm
@Rockhead,
Im 20 years old, a pinto was my first car (sarcastic) good look, strong engine/drivetrain, availability of parts, ease of repair, not too many computer driven components. And you obviously didn't read the question. (Why do people dislike one over the other, and what experiences has someone had to make them dislike it)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:35 pm
@njpchevorlet,
I have no particular preference.

I'm kind of weird when it comes to cars, in America anyway, I think. My house matters a lot to me -- the neighborhood, the yard, the house itself. I'm willing to pay a significant chunk of what I can afford for something nice.

A car, I just don't care that much. I have a 1999 Saturn station wagon. It's pitiful, but it's adequate. I have no particular love for Saturn, nor any particular antipathy towards other brands.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:36 pm
@njpchevorlet,
I dislike companies like Toyota because they're overrated and boring. Design wise, they make soulless and tedious cars that often get hyped up about having allegedly great build quality ... until their empire of high quality fell down a couple of years ago when it was revealed they make highly priced and yet not so high quality cars.

Not all cars are created equal. There's a reason why the cheapest Indian and Chinese cars will NEVER reach our shores. They have a reputation for being terrible and dangerous cars with no concern on emissions and safety features.

I like to think of myself as an educated consumer so I do believe that there are reasons to prefer one car company over another. Even in a singular car company, there are reasons to prefer one car platform over another.
njpchevorlet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
What is your opinion on some of the older Toyota and Nissan engines, 1jz, 2jz, 3sgte, rb25/26, ka24, sr20, vq35de/hr?
jcboy

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:43 pm
I don’t really have a preference either. In CA I had a Nissan 350z but when I decided to move to Florida a few friends of mine said it wouldn’t be practical here because it’s so low to the ground and all the rain we get. I think they were right.

So I traded that in and bought a new Nissan Murano, well I got rid of that a little over a year ago and now I have a Hyundai Sonata. It’s okay but I’m already bored with it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:48 pm
@njpchevorlet,
njpchevorlet wrote:

What is your opinion on some of the older Toyota and Nissan engines, 1jz, 2jz, 3sgte, rb25/26, ka24, sr20, vq35de/hr?

I can't answer that specific a question. I'm not a car expert. But I do know that Nissan engines (in the Z series) are renown for being efficient, responsive, and fun.
njpchevorlet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:50 pm
@jcboy,
Deffinately a good reason to get another vehicle, I have a 2007 Honda Civic Si and a 1999 Tahoe and I live in Georgia, we dont get anywhere near as much rain, but its deffinately good to have something a little higher off the ground when it does storm.
0 Replies

njpchevorlet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2012 12:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for your input, the 2jz engines are in Toyota Supras', and the rb25/26 came in the Skyline, in case you wanted to know and didnt google it.
0 Replies