Lots of new members

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 12:05 pm
Fascinating phenom

So many OPs where the participant describes himself as a "new member," "newbie," or "newcomer" have been described as the work of a "bot"--if not more than one--although we suspect the former since their wording is so much alike

Accepting this premise, can you cite any example where another participant has actually be drawn into the bot's intrigue

Thanks anyone
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,753 • Replies: 30
Topic Closed

tsarstepan

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 12:34 pm
@dalehileman,
On the one hand, it's mildly funny. On the other hand, it's very frustrating and annoying. And finally up in the air (juggling) is the final sentiment: intrigue. I would love for someone to come forth and admit that this isn't merely a spamming scam/spamming experiment but an actual alpha/beta testing for an AI bot/program by a major university computer programming lab.
djjd62

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 12:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
when these "new members" first appeared, i thought it might be some kind of ESL group testing out their communication skills
Green Witch

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 01:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm starting to feel a conspiracy theory coming on. I find all these pointless threads annoying and I often just pop out if I see a line of them. However, there must be something going on that they are not being blocked. Sorry if I offend any of the administrators, but could some of it be a way to drive traffic to the site? All the topics seem to be pretty popular search terms. I'm sure some of it is just spam garbage, but other things seem more controlled.
dalehileman

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 01:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thank you Tsar for not raking me across the coals as is the usu custom, I am deeply encouraged
0 Replies

dalehileman

Wed 7 Nov, 2012 01:24 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
i thought it might be some kind of ESL group testing
That was my assumption Dj also for the longest time, I now feel acquitted, I'm not alone after all
0 Replies

thack45

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 01:04 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

I'm starting to feel a conspiracy theory coming on. I find all these pointless threads annoying and I often just pop out if I see a line of them. However, there must be something going on that they are not being blocked. Sorry if I offend any of the administrators, but could some of it be a way to drive traffic to the site? All the topics seem to be pretty popular search terms. I'm sure some of it is just spam garbage, but other things seem more controlled.

A lot of these posts sound like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRumer ...

wiki wrote:
XRumer is a blackhat search engine optimization program that is able to successfully register and post to forums (forum spam) with the aim of boosting search engine rankings. The program is able to bypass security techniques commonly used by many forums and blogs to deter automated spam, such as account registration, client detection, many forms of CAPTCHAs, and e-mail activation before posting...

In addition, the software can avoid the suspicions of forum administrators by first registering to make a post in the form of a question which mentions the spam product ("Where can I get...?"), before registering another account to post a spam link which mentions the product. The side effect of these innocent-looking posts is that helpful forum visitors may search on a search engine (e.g. Google) for the product and themselves post a link to help out, thus bolstering the product's Google ranking without falling afoul of forum posting policies. The software is also capable of avoiding detection by making posts in off-topic, spam and overflow sections of forums thus attempting to keep its activities in high activity low content areas of the targeted forum.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/tint45/dunno.gif

Best Regards,
Thack45
Below viewing threshold (view)
ehBeth

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 08:37 am
@djjd62,
I thought the same thing initially.

When I googled some of the intro phrases I found them all over the net - as shoehorns into all kinds of forums.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 08:38 am
@thack45,
Interesting piece of research thack45. Thanks for posting it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 09:39 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Sorry if I offend any of the administrators, but could some of it be a way to drive traffic to the site? All the topics seem to be pretty popular search terms. I'm sure some of it is just spam garbage, but other things seem more controlled.

No offense taken, but no to anyone familiar with the internet this is obviously external spam and not something a site would want to do to itself.

Removing spam is a huge part of what the volunteer moderators do on able2know, and whenever the q&a spammers come back with the payload we remove it (and should remove the initial call too when it's clear it's connected, but sometimes they spam legitimately-created topics as well) but the posts in question that are left are often not clearly spam on their own and the moderators were to operate under rules that would remove them it would likely have to be rules that have the potential to be inclusive of any new member asking about anything that has any commercial value.

As a general policy able2now errs on the side of caution with censorship and this is why posts that aren't clearly spam under rules that would not cause an unacceptable rate of false positives remain. Users here can vote for themselves about the remaining topics, but the general policy of able2know is not to be heavy-handed in its censorship and instead to allow members to thumb what they find unedifying down as they see it. What we don't do very well right now is harness this collective wisdom of the crowd to allow those who would rather not have to deal with the volume to not have to deal with it and we are working on a complete overhaul of able2know in order to better accomplish that and to solve the various signal-to-noise ratio problems that able2know has.
Robert Gentel

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 09:41 am
@thack45,
That is definitely one of the most popular pieces of software to spam forums but we also face armies of mechanical turks (i.e. real people) recruited to spam.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 09:44 am
@hawkeye10,
You misunderstand (as per usual) the point of the spam software, it is aimed at increasing the rankings of the other sites that are spamming us, not the rankings of the site they spam. Their purpose is to come by and drop a link to their site, on able2know, to increase the rank of their site, not able2know.

Which is rather obvious to anyone who thinks (it'll be unusual for you but give it a good ole college try) about what might motivate spammers (hint: it certainly isn't to help us and our rankings).
dalehileman

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 11:22 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
a spamming scam/spamming experiment
Very interesting Tsar you should so speculate. Actually it seems more reasonable even, that the idea of so many spammers and much moreso than the prop that they are real people
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 11:23 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
…... it might be some kind of ESL group testing out their communication skills
That was mine exactly but I can't imagine what it is about a2k that would attract so many of them
Butrflynet

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 11:26 am
@dalehileman,
What attracts them is that they often get constructive feedback here.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 11:28 am
@Green Witch,
Quote:
I'm starting to feel a conspiracy theory coming on.
Almost unavoidable feeling

Quote:
…….must be something going on that they are not being blocked.
Again my reaction. Much of what's apparently acceptable here, at almost any other site of the kind would be deleted or the instigator immediately banned, most puzzling

Quote:
Sorry if I offend any of the administrators,
Evidently they're not easily offended

Quote:
but could some of it be a way to drive traffic to the site?
It would have to make 'em pretty desperate don't you think Green

0 Replies

dalehileman

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 11:35 am
@Robert Gentel,
Rob thank you for that sober and considered report, clearly you're one of them, and you're to be congratulated for your forbearance

I do thank you also for unique access provided by your My this, My That, My Tags, etc

While we've got you listening, however, if OT, can't you provide us an immediate scroll bar
Robert Gentel

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 11:43 am
@dalehileman,
Yes. But not now.
thack45

Mon 3 Dec, 2012 11:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Green Witch did say something about a conspiracy theory

dalehileman wrote:

While we've got you listening, however, if OT, can't you provide us an immediate scroll bar
lulz