Public or Private school?

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 06:04 am
Listening to my sister, and all of her friends who have children, complain about things that don't make sense in her children's school (A school which is supposed to be the best in this region of the state)... I'm thinking private school would be better than any public school.

I'd love to hear the opinions of other parents. ??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,991 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 06:17 am
Can't speak as a parent, cuz I can't send my kids to private school.

Speaking as a student, the education I got was better than in a public school. I did a semester at a private catholic boarding school, and the next semester at home in a public school. The private was much better.

From what I understand, generally the private school (while sometimes lacking in funds) is still a better education than a private school.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 06:55 am
turner, I think you should edit that post somewhat!
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 06:57 am
Nah. . . ya see, it's the influence of Public Schools!

That, or I'm just lazy when typing.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 07:02 am
ONe thing about public schools. They educate everybody, regardless of religious beliefs or social position. Private schools get to choose somewhat who they educate, particularly in regards to affluence. Public schools don't have that choice.

As for funding, in Australia private schools account for 30% of the students, yet receive about 70% of federal education funds.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 01:44 pm
We could easily afford to send our child to private school, but I'm a big believer in public education. I want my son to learn to get along with everyone, not just people like himself.

If you want your child in a particular school for religious reasons, that may be an important criteria. Some parents feel private schools are safer than public schools, but crime statistics here don't bear that out.

We know lots of people who send their kids to private schools, and lots in public schools, too. We have good and bad public schools here, and good and bad private schools as well. Without exception, the kids who thrive are the ones whose parents are involved in their education, regardless of which type of school they attend.

I've seen too many parents send their kid off to private school thinking that's all they have to do, the school will take care of everything. Those kids do MUCH worse than those in good or even mediocre public schools who have parents who teach/tutor them on the side. Moral of the story: money can't necessarily buy a good education.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:29 am
I agree to a certain point with Eva. I think public school is great because children get to meet children from all different types of backgrounds. It allows them to see first hand differences between one another and hopefully learn to be tolerant of differences.

On the other hand if you live in an area where the public school system is poor, you still want a good education for your child. In these cases, I would send my child to private school. My oldest will start kindergarten next year and will be going to a private kindergarten since she is familiar with her Pre-K school. If we are still living in our current town, I will send her to private, because I do not feel the public schools in our town have a high quality of education. At the very least private schools have smaller classes and this also allows for more individual attention.

Another important thing is that no matter where your child attends make sure you do your research. A private education may not be any better than a public school, you need to thoroughly check out the teachers, the programs, etc.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:25 pm
I'm not sure that preparing a child to mix and mingle with all sorts of people is an advantage of public school.

I come from a family with at least three generations of nerdish attributes. My mother, my son and I were all subjected to considerable hostility and bullying beginning in kindergarten and continuing through the high school years.

As an adult I have no trouble mixing and mingling with all sorts of people, particularly after I learned to forgive the hostility I encountered from my childhood.

If public schools are prepared to protect the dignity and integrity of each student, then this is part of the American Dream. When children are bullied in public school, this is the American Nightmare.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:37 pm
I agree that bullying can be a problem Noddy, but don't you think bullying is also an issue in private schools? I look at it from meeting people from different backgrounds for example, Catholic, Muslim, Jew, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Poor, Rich, Middle Class rather than Nerd, Athelete, Popular which would occur in any school.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:56 pm
Yes, bullying can be a problem in any school, public or private.

They take a very hard line on it at my son's school - zero tolerance - but I'm sure some of it still occurs. In any setting, there are bound to be a few children who act that way. We just do our best to surround him with people and settings that build him up.

My son is an upper-middle class WASP. In virtually all of the private schools around us, he would be surrounded by people like himself. That is not enough, in my opinion, to prepare him for the real world. I want him to be able to understand people from other social classes, religions, racial backgrounds and financial abilities, too.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 02:24 pm
I embrace the concept of diversity--as do the best private schools.

Still, private schools or public schools, birds of a feather flock together. The student-chosen seating in lunchrooms across the country tends to be very homogenous.
0 Replies