Plan for Peace

au1929

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:06 pm
I want to know why it can't be this simple?????

Plan for Peace

Author Unknown

The perfect plan... what we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan:

1. The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo,
Noriega, Milosovich and the rest of those 'good ole boys.' We will never "interfere" again.

2. We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station our troops at all US borders. No more will anyone sneak through holes in the fence.

3. All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported to France immediately, regardless of who or where they are. France should welcome them.

4. All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers who won't speak English.

5. No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, or they get a "D" and it's back home baby!. Never to Return.

6. The US will make a strong effort to become self -sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non-polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7. Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go some place else. They
can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up their storage sites would be enough.)

8. If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it
most get very little, if anything.

9. Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island some place.! We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the
building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10. All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.

Now, ain't that a winner of a plan.

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's
yelling, 'You want a piece of me?'"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,269 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:08 pm
au, if I recall correctly, only the last line is Robin Williams' the rest is a compilation of folklore. See snopes for the details.

BTW it's not at all hard to argue with that "logic". Most of it's just xenophobic drek.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:10 pm
Please take Robin William's name off this garbage. He's much smarter and funnier than any of this tripe.

Joe
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:27 pm
Re: Robin Williams Plan for Peace
au1929 wrote:
I want to know why it can't be this simple?????

Ok, I'll play Devil's advocate.

Quote:
1. The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Tojo,
Noriega, Milosovich and the rest of those 'good ole boys.' We will never "interfere" again.

Some would welcome this. Personally I would not.

I think America derives extensive benefits from our projection of power and in modern society you need those casus bellis.

Quote:
2. We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station our troops at all US borders. No more will anyone sneak through holes in the fence.

You know what I think about the ignorant anti-immigration mindset. But to comment on withdrawals I think it would be a good idea.

But this argument is framed as if it is a one way street when it is not. Our bases are usually only in locations in where there is mutual benefit.

Gitmo is an example of an exception.

Quote:
3. All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported to France immediately, regardless of who or where they are. France should welcome them.

I don't think this is meant to be taken seriously. If anyone does take it sriously I'd be happy to walk them through it.

Quote:
4. All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit.

I agree. We'll call this radical plan the "90 day tourist Visa" plan.

Quote:
No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers who won't speak English.

IMO, this just plays well to the ears of racists and would be a disservice to the economy.

I also don't think it'd be much in way of protection against terrorism.

The reciprocation in policy toward Americans would harm our economy if this were done on a large scale.

Quote:
5. No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, or they get a "D" and it's back home baby!. Never to Return.

This is simply ignorant.

The overwhelming majority of legitimate students from foreign countries are over 21.

America has fine educational institutions and many people take post-graduate courses here.

The notion that foresign students over 21 are bombers is simply false.

Quote:
6. The US will make a strong effort to become self -sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non-polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

Easier said than done, but I agree with it.

Quote:
7. Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go some place else. They
can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up their storage sites would be enough.)

This shows a complete misunderstanding of markets. I'd love to sever our love affair with the house of Saud but it wouldn't work that way.

Quote:
8. If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it
most get very little, if anything.

This is mostly vingatorial rhetoric against what the author perceives as ingrateful attitudes.

Quote:
9. Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island some place.! We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the
building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

The US derives immense benefit from it's diplomatic power. The isolationists forget this easily.

Quote:
10. All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.

I've never liked the term. But the authors herein epitomize the stereotypical "ugly Americans" with their chest thumping and ignorance. This is what people refer to, the ugliness of such ignorance and arrogance.

In summary this is just an ignorantly couched argument for isolationism. It's a disservice to the more intelligent arguments for isolationism that exist.

Personally, I think America would be harmed more from isolationism than the rest of the world.

Many who advocate isolationism operate under the illustion that our wealth and success is entirely derived from inherent superiority as a nation.

They fail to consider that our dealing with other nations help us. They fail to see our incredible advantages simply because of the petty intra-national animosities.

We derive immense benefit from being modern-day imperialists. We derive immense benefit from economic and diplomatic expantionism. We derive immense benefit from power projection.

Personally I'd not mind isolationism, but not for the reasons stated here.

I'd not mind it because I think it'd help level the playing field and weaken America's grip on global economy.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:29 pm
Craven
No sense of humor? It was supposed to be a joke. It sounds like pretty typical Williams humor to me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:32 pm
Au, I find it a lot more repulsive than funny.

It's the type of thing that created the "ugly American" term.

It's a pity that our ignorant jackasses like the authors in that text are seen as stereotypical Americans.

If only the world knew that not all Americans are the type who gloat about their sheer fortune in being born with a winning lotery ticket.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:38 pm
Craven
For goodness sake. lighten up. Things must be slow for you to bother arguing with someones humor.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:41 pm
There are things I find funny and there are things I find ignorant.

This I find ignorant.

Lighten up Au, I simply find it to be ignorant drivel as opposed to remotely funny.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:45 pm
Craven
I do not give a damn what you think. What I think is that you are as usual puffed up with self importance.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:47 pm
Calm down Au. Deep breaths now.

It's not the end of the world just because I don't agree with your xenophobic drivel, as usual.

Hmmmkay?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:54 pm
Kravens right, there is nothing particularly funny about that list and as Joe pointed out, Robin Williams had nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 05:57 pm
Except the ending Acq. Robin did do a show where he did the Statue of liberty line.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:01 pm
Craven
From what I have seen in post after post the only one you consistently agree with is yourself. When you look in the mirror do you tell yourself how smart you are? Don't bother answering I am sure of the answer. Now go back to the batcave and annoy someone else. I will make it a point to ignore you in the future.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:04 pm
au1929 wrote:
Craven
From what I have seen in post after post the only one you consistently agree with is yourself. When you look in the mirror do you tell yourself how smart you are? Don't bother answering I am sure of the answer. Now go back to the batcave and annoy someone else. I will make it a point to ignore you in the future.

Au,

Deep breaths. My arrogance says nothing good about your bigotry.

Calm down.

It's not the end of the world when I disagree with the bigotry you consistently spew.

Furthermore I don't mind at all if you ignore me, I'll continue to opine on the xenophobia you tout when I see fit.

Hmmmkay?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:19 pm
Williams could not possibly be simple minded enough to come up with that plan, even in joking. It's hate filled drivel.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:27 pm
Now that I look at it more carefully, I'm certain the William quote at the end is irony and satire and caricaturing all that is above.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:28 pm
If I rememver correctly it was after 9/11 and his line had more to do with the terrorism fears than immigration.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:51 pm
I thought that the above didn't sound much like robin williams, I hope y'all are right that it isn't. It left me disgusted.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 06:59 pm
This from snopes.com

Origins: We don't yet know who is responsible for the piece quoted above, but it definitely wasn't actor-comedian Robin Williams (of Mork & Mindy fame). This item's debut appears to have been a 20 March 2003 posting to the USENET newsgroup alt.motorcycles.harley, and from there it was rapidly disseminated via e-mail and blogs, credited to either "author unknown" or no one at all. The Robin Williams attribution wasn't tacked on until several weeks later, apparently because along the way someone appended a genuine Robin Williams quote to the list as an eleventh item:

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'You want a piece of me?'" - Robin Williams.

Obviously the Robin Williams attribution for the final item was interpreted as applying to the list as a whole, so now the entire piece is making the rounds as 'the Robin Williams plan.'
Last updated: 24 May 2003

====
All it takes, folks, is a couple of keystrokes to find out whether or not you are spreading truth or crap. The above crap is crap and falsely attributed to Robin Williams. In the interest of truth, I ask again that the orginator of this thread remove the words Robin Williams from the title or that a moderator do so.

Joe Nation
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2004 07:21 pm
I like Seinfeld's take on the statue of liberty.

"One thing I love about living in New York is it's every different type of person piled one on top of the other. I am for open immigration, but that sign we have in the front of the Statue of Liberty, "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses."

Can't we just say, "Hey, the door's open. We'll take whoever you got."

Why not just say, "Give us the unhappy, the sad, the slow, the ugly, the people that can't drive, people that have trouble merging, if they can't stay in their lane, if they don't signal, they can't parallel park, if they're sneezing, if they're stuffed up, if they have bad penmanship, if they don't return calls, if they have dandruff, food between their teeth, if they have bad credit, if they have no credit, missed a spot shaving..."

In other words, any dysfunctional, defective slob that you can somehow cattle prod onto a wagon, send them over. We want them."
0 Replies