Waiting for Hurricane Sandy near the Chesapeake

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:35 am
Here we are in Annapolis, in late October waiting for a nasty storm of possible biblical proportion. As this is written, the weather folks are predicting getting hit early Mon morning with winds in the 60-80 mph range. And of course heavy rains. So if history is any indicator, we will lose power about the second hour or earlier of the winds picking up, and then we start checking the sump pump to make sure the basement doesn't flood. We fill up all the bathtubs with water, because we have well water and the pump won't work without power. The longest so far we have been without power in the past was 4 days. No showers, food spoils in the freezer, and the water in the tub is strictly for refilling the toilet tank assuming either one of us needs to use the bathroom. Too bad it isn't Lent, we could give up that pesky habit for the duration, or not.

I'm trying to decide if I want to make a hotel reservation before all the rooms are taken. The power grids are set up to accomodate newer developement (like the mall, hotels, etc). But even they tend to have at least a brief interuption of power. I guess I should look up methods to heat soup on the gas grill outside, unless of course it is swept away by the winds. Trees will come down, and all along the highway there are very old trees, we don't have many close to the house but we will probably be losing a lot of branches.

I hate to sound like a whiner, but I don't mind the peanut butter sammies or power bars (yuck) so much, it's not being able to take a shower and wash my hair in warm water, or running water to put a fine point on it. Glitterbag would not have made a good pioneer, nor did she like Girl Scout camp. But we do have batteries and flashlights, candles and matches and even if we and all the rest of the region are hit hard, figure a max of 7 days to live with peevish complaints. Downright spoiled when you consider what our troops in Afganistan have to deal with. Enough whining for right now, I guess I'll buy some more bottled water and those gag inducing trail mixes and other survival provisions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,927 • Replies: 7
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:41 am
Stay safe, glitterbag. Keep us posted as best you can.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 11:41 am
I don't know that you've got anything to worry about. Hurricanes become more powerful by picking up heat from shallow waters--that's why Gulf hurricanes can be so nasty. This storm is expected to merge with a winter storm front. I suspect the big storm effect will be heavy precipitation, not damaging high winds.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 01:29 pm
@Setanta,
We are so close to the bay and not that far from the Ocean. Currently (just this minute, it changes constantly) they're predicting winds between 60-80 mph starting late Sunday or Early Monday. It could still dog leg and hit New Jersey, but we will still get high winds. The storm has a 400 mile radius, at least it did an hour ago. The problem is the cold front from Canada hitting the warm air from the lower Atlantic. Mr. Glitterbag is an amatuer meterologist, we have a ton of equipment. Having said that, we are preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. Weather in Maryland is like a petri dish, when you factor in the mountains, the Ocean and all the major waterways that are everywhere around us. Hard to predict, and we won't really know until we know.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 01:50 pm
@glitterbag,
Hey, Glitterbag, long time no see!
<Marry Andrew>
glitterbag

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 04:46 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Nice to see you too, but I thought it was Merry Andrew, or maybe I'm confused. Are you in the path of Sandy?
roger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2012 04:55 pm
@glitterbag,
Same Andrew, but I venture to say it will miss him by a significant distance.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:22 am
@roger,
Marry, Merry or Sandy. Now I'm really confused, got to go prepare for the storm, the fun never stops.
0 Replies