Is there pantheist in the crowd

George

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 11:42 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Geo can I now assume there are 3 of us . . .
If you include Ralph W.
Me, I'm just a New England Transcendentalist fanboy.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 02:42 pm
@George,
Thans Geo for that latter term, it's not everyday……..

Doesn't the former lean to pantheism
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 02:57 pm
@dalehileman,
It is more likely to lead to Unitarian/Universalist principles which ain't all that far removed from pantheism, come to think of it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:06 pm
the Latin word for "bread" is "panem" as in "panem et circenses"--"bread and circuses", the games the emperors put on to enthrall the masses so they wouldn't think of rebellion. (This evolved into modern Spanish "pan"="bread)., so logically a "pantheist" would be someone who thinks that bread is god, or god is bread (as survives today in Communion where the bread you eat is literally your god).

Personally I think that a freshly baked sourdough loaf or a crispy French baguette still warm from the oven, slathered with lots and lots of butter, are far more godly than your average supermarket loaf.

And of course if you are a pantheist, because bread is associated with the huge emotional pig-outs of the panem et circenses, you get to be as hedonistic as you want. Indeed, it is expected of you. Up pantheism.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:10 pm
@MontereyJack,
pan=all, every as in pantheon, a temple dedicated to all the gods.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:19 pm
That's what the monotheists WANT you to think, LA>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2012 03:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
Monterey, I tend to agree with you anyway, but in this case I'm really on your team.

I'm particularly promoting myself as a hopeful goddess of no knead bread, as devised and recipied (spellcheck doesn't like it with or without an i) by others. That way I could work myself into a roll as a chubby cherub. Ok, ok, as a bun.

Question: are all cherubs male?
0 Replies